[Tang Soo Do] Soo Bahk Do

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Vega, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Vega

Vega New Member

I dont' know if this should be posted here or in the "General" section but I figured it would go here. Well I start Soo bahk do classes in the fall at my college and I am looking foward to getting back into martial arts. The only problem is that the classes are only once a week(saturdays) but I will just have to practice during the week on my own. I was curious though, do you have to break boards when doing a belt test? I will make sure to post an update after my first class.. Here is the link to Steven Diaz(soo bahk do teacher)http://www.diazsoobahkdo.com/Curriculum.html

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  2. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

Every school is different, but for the most part TSD/SBD schools do break boards. Our school breaks for belt tests.

3. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

Like the scruffy looking one said you probably will have board breaking for tests, its good fun youll love it. Perhaps there is another school in the same org in town that you could train at during the week.

best of luck with your classes and I hope you enjoy the art as much as I have.

4. WeenusBandit

WeenusBandit New Member

I've been in Soo Bahk Do for about 10 years (since I was 5) and yes, you do have to break boards for tests.

You are truly lucky to be training with Sa Bom Nim Diaz because he is one of the most respected masters in the Soo Bahk Do organization. His technique will blow your mind.

You start out as a white belt, and for your tests, you will have to preform basic forms, a knowledge of hand(wrist) escapes, one-step sparring techniques, and have a basic knowledge of what Soo Bahk Do is.

The 'board breaking' aspect of the Soo Bahk Do curriculum isn't just a show of how big & powerful you are, but it's a show of how effective you can use a technique. Anyone can punch through a board, but punching CORRECTLY wont get your knuckles broken.

Message me back if you have any questions.

5. PsiCop

Well said, Weenus. It is a test of technique, contrary to popular belief.

6. Vega

Vega New Member

Thanks for all the information guys...I haven't broke any boards before so hopefully I don't make a fool of myself when a belt test comes up. :)

7. WeenusBandit

WeenusBandit New Member

Dont worry, Vega. As a white belt, they won't ask you to do anything too crazy. They'll start you out with a good palm strike or a good front push kick. You start to do the crazy stuff when you get up to red belt! That's about three years away though, so no worries ;)

Vega, I need your e-mail address real quick to respond to your private message. It's a pretty long message, but it's good stuff :cool:

8. PsiCop

They should train you to be prepared for whatever you have to do. No good school will just show a beginner a technique then tell them to break with it. You should be able to get some practice in.

Now for advanced students, that's a different story, hehe. But by that time, you should have enough background and experience that you'll be able to do most of anything they tell you to do. Even if it's something new, the adaptiveness and general knowledge should be enough to allow you to accomplish those goals... Be it a new break or anything.