[Tang Soo Do] Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan National Championships Orlando, FL

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by WeenusBandit, Jul 11, 2005.

1. WeenusBandit

WeenusBandit New Member

Hey everybody, the SBD MDK national championships are at the Doubletree Hotel in Orlando, FL on July 21st - 23rd. Reply if you're going, competing, anything!

2. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Wow this forum's activity dried up fast. Can't go nationals, MCATS calling. Should check with the folks on karateforums.com if no one here responds. Several of those members are going.

On a happier note, my master showed me Naihanchi E Dan tonight. Yay! One more and I have a Monopoly!

3. WeenusBandit

WeenusBandit New Member

Naihanji E Dan maaan I hate those heavy linear forms. Thanks for the advice though.

4. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

Naihanji.... I like them. They're strong and focused. You can really let the external energy flow.

5. EternalRage

I have a lot of trouble geting the "essence of it" because i am a smaller guy. Any tips on making my movements "heavier?"

6. WeenusBandit

WeenusBandit New Member

The Nihanji forms are built for the short/ stocky guys because each movement is very low to the ground and heavy. You should never rise up out of your stance and each expansion / contraction should light and then suddenly very heavy. All it really takes is practice and a whole lotta power to get it loooking good.

7. PsiCop

I agree, Weenus. You need to stay low and focus. Again, it takes practice as with any form. As far as being a smaller guy, that's of little consequence. Do the motions correctly and you will have a strong form.

8. EternalRage

Yea, but there is a slight difference when the large dans do it vs the skinny ones.

Anybody know why the first Naihanchi has its own ready stance but the second one doesn't?

9. WeenusBandit

WeenusBandit New Member

I've wondered about that first ready stance for Nihanji Cho Dan for awhile, but I don't know why that's the only form with one. Ask your instructor about it

10. PsiCop

I'm not too sure either. I'll ask about it when I get the chance.

11. EternalRage

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE WHOS GOING!

Please post any pictures when you get back, must live vicariously since I am unable to attend.

Soo Bahk!

ER