[Tang Soo Do] Pyun Ahn Sa Dan

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by BROWN, Jun 17, 2008.

1. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

Recently passed my 4th gup grading and am learning pyun ahn sadan hyung.
    Went through it last nite and enjoyed the change in pattern a little from my previous hyungs.
    Anybody have any thoughts on this Hyung?

2. monk-ki

monk-ki Monkey..Monk-ki...Get it?

It's a decent Hyung, I enjoy doing it. It still follows the previous recipe, though, but it is about the last to do that. Congrats on the promotion!

3. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

Thanx Monk ki,
    Yeah still the ol d H pattern form, but just feels a bit less drawn out and static. Also the elbow strikes are a new addition for me.

4. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Congrats on getting your 4th gup, is that a brown belt for you guys? I really like Pyung Ahn Sa Dan, feels good to perform and is full of lots of nice self defence apps.

5. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

I do quite a bit of research in the KMA and am always on the lookout for good resources as a result. If you are doing these forms derived from the Okinawan traditions I strongly recommend that you get a copy of Dr. Bruce Clayton's new book SHOTOKAN'S SECRETS. I found it to be an extraordinary eye opener in terms of identifying the hidden combat potential in the traditional kata. Though the TSD forms may have been modified a bit, I believe you would still benefit from reading what Clayton has to say about these forms. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

6. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Thanks Bruce, ive not heard of that one and im always on the lookout for good Bunkai/aplications books.

7. Bruce W Sims

Same Here. I keep hearing the name Ian Abernathy, and finally bought one of his books on a recommendation of a couple of people who practice this material albeit from the Japanese/Okinawan perspective. When I get that book I can share my thoughts. There is also "Way of Kata" by Kane and Wilder but that has more to do with clues or cues in the kata for ciphering possible meaning rather than simply identifying particular applications. Since I have been digging into this sort of thing for a while, "Way of Kata" pretty much confirmed to me most of the conclusions I had already drawn for myself. But for someone just beginning to dig-around a bit, it may be a worthwhile addition to the library---- or at least worth borrowing through the Public Library for a quick read. FWIW.

BTW: I have to say that I have usually been very disappointed with Korean resources along these lines. There are certainly quite a few source for examining the hyung, but not many folks actually perform BUNSEOK on what they are doing and publish the results. Too bad, really. TKD/TSD/HKD could use more of this, I think.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  8. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

You wont be dissapointed with Iain Abernethy, I recommend his dvds too.

I agree but It seems to be getting more pupular these days. My teachers teacher would say that 20 years ago you would never get taught any decent form applications in TSD anyway. Its quite lucky that TSD has the same forms as Shotokan etc otherwise this info would be harder to come by. I would still like to see a TSD specific application book since there are differences in the way the forms are practiced, there are also sets of TSD only forms which I can only guess the apps for. Im pretty sure there is a TKD application book out written by one of the MAP forum members.

9. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

Thanks, its advanced blue belt in our school. Yeah thats a good description, it feels good to perform, going through a bit of a low point at the moment, missed a fair bit of training, so havn't really got it all smooth yet, but have the bones of it sussed.

Thank's for the advice Bruce, i'll definately look both those books up, be great to get a guide on some hyung applications, we do pull them apart in class but good to have a book to reference.

10. Bruce W Sims

Yes, and I also agree with Yossarian that TSD and TKD folk could use books that focus on bunseok with a sensitivity towards the "up-graded" versions of the Karate kata that have had a greater emphasis on using the feet. In traditional forms each movement has multiple levels of information to provide and the applications are just a way of underscoring the message. I think the Koreans are quite a bit behind the curve in not providing greater guidance along these lines. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

11. BROWN

BROWN Valued Member

Both books on order now!

12. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Yeah that's the problem with learning Okinawan karate kata out of a book and then using them as a framework to build an entire system. You sorta miss out on important details like bunkai.