[Tang Soo Do] Midnight blue belt as a black belt?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by 1eo, Mar 19, 2005.

1. 1eo

1eo Banned Banned

How many of you guys use the Midnight blue belt instead of a black belt?? and what is the history behind...

I hear that because black is the absence of color it's consider perfection.... And perfection is unateinable, therefore, our belts are a shade shy of black (Midnight blue :cool: )

leo

2. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

We, and every other semi-local Tang Soo Do school have midnight blue for Dans. I feel this had to do with the original belt system which was white, green, red, midnight blue. Each color represented a season and state of development. White was associated with Winter and purity... a dormant understanding. Green was Spring... a blossoming of knowledge and technique. Red represented Summer... a high point when the knowledge is beginning to be understood and is almost overwhelming. Finally, midnight blue represented Autumn... A calm state in which one reflects upon and perfects their technique.

However, the interesting part is the cyclical nature of this belt system, and the seasons that it was built around. When one reaches Dan level, they are in the final stage of development. Yet, they are now beginners. In fact Dan can be interpreted to mean beginner. The deeper meaning of this is found in that fact that once one reaches Dan level, they aren't finished... They're only beginning to learn the true nature of their style.

... You know me. I always like to elaborate ;)

3. MALibrarian

MALibrarian Valued Member

My particular family of schools uses a midnight blue belt for cho dan bo (candidate for 1st dan ranking) and then a black belt after that.

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I've never seen one but it seems plausible.

5. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Yes, we wear midnight blue for dan level, and midnight blue with red stripe for 4th dan and above. As was said, black symbolizes finality. I prefer midnight blue.

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I like the look of the midnight blue ones... how do they fade... to a gray or to a lighter blue?

7. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

LOL - Thomas it all depends on how you train or how you try to force them to fade. Also it depends on who manufactured them.

My first Midnight blue faded to tattered denim sort of blue. My 3rd dan faded and tattered as well. My 4th dan has held its color but is seriously deteriorated.

Now, the first two saw a lot of water work outs in the ocean (salt water) and in pools (chlorinated). When I would go into a pool, I would rinse the belt well.

I had a student that received their midnight blue and a month later it looked purple - i asked them what happened and they sheepishly admitted to trying to fade it with a bleach solution - LOL.

Many of teh belts now a days are a polyester blend and they deteriorate quickly, but hold their color well.

8. Karate_Man_1288

Karate_Man_1288 New Member

my school goes: white, yellow, orange, purple, blue, green, red, brown, app. black, 1st degree black

9. JunFan38463

JunFan38463 New Member

yes it is midnight blue in my dojang as well, 2 white stripes for E dan, 3 for Sam Dan, and Sa Dan, or Master is Midnight blue with the redstripe through the whole belt

belts go
    white
    white blue stripe
    orange
    orange blue stripe
    green
    green 1 blue stripe
    green 2 blue stripes
    red 1 blue stripe
    red 2 blue stripes
    Cho Dan ( midnight blue)
    then what i stated above^

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  10. NX01

NX01 Valued Member

That's what they say...

My dad's instructor (Pak, Song-Ki) received his 1st Dan from the Moo Duk Kwan in 1951. He says he received a BLACK belt at 1st Dan, and not midnight blue. He said that the Moo Duk Kwan didn't switch to midnight blue until the late 1950's/early 1960's.

11. PsiCop

Hmm, maybe I need to look into it more. I know there's a lot of different tales going around. It's very possible I may be wrong.

12. JunFan38463

JunFan38463 New Member

belts are used to keep your pants up thats there only practical use

lol sry perfect time for a bruce lee quote

13. PsiCop

Yes JunFan. I like Mr Miyagi's better when Julie-san asks him what kind of belt he has, he says "Canvas, you like?". Even better is in the original when asked the same question, he said "JC Penney ... $3.98"

:D Point taken, JunFan.

14. NX01

NX01 Valued Member

I wouldn't say you're "wrong". You only know what you're told. It's very possible that I could have been told wrong.
    That's the problem with history, it varies depending on the source.
    :)

15. PsiCop

Heh true also, NX01. It's pretty hard to tell what's truth and what's propaganda these days... Hmm, is propaganda the right word? Let's just say preferable versions of history.

16. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

My school uses the black belt for dans and midnight blue for cho dan bo. I like the idea of the midnight blue belt, i want one(and the trim). IMHO TSD has the coolest uniforms of any martial art bar none.

17. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Valued Member

I have to agree that the TSD Do-Balks are really smart, especially when you to get to Red Belt and above and you get the right to have that lovely silk trim around the edges of the uniform.