[Tang Soo Do] Korean Karate vs Tang Soo Do

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by jut1972, Jul 4, 2006.

1. jut1972

jut1972 New Member

Hi all,

[Jut1972 - I've actually heard TSD referred to as 'Korean Karate', so let us know (maybe on a new thread) what you find out]...

I went to a class calling itself Korean Karate, the class started off as Ji Do Kwan but has evolved to include other martial arts. To a Tang Soo Do practitioner, a lot of the moves are similar, some of the instructions are in Korean (Joon Bee etc) but each move is subtly different. (The jump front kick for example kicks with the opposite foot to the move I was taught from the same front stance).

There is no emphasis on the traditional aspects of the art (my previous class did - Master Johnsons Tang Soo Do, Moo Duk Kwan) - instead the class incorporates elements of Karate, Tae Kwon Do (I think, there are certainly a lot of kicks), some Krav Maga and Escrima concepts. It's more geared at practical defence situations.

The club does very well in competition fighting but rubbish in the kata's from what I hear, not suprising with that lot mixed in :D

Jut1972

2. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Dangsoodo is Korean Karate.

3. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

"Karate" and "Tang Soo Do" use the same Chinese Characters, last time I checked...

4. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

:confused: im confused.

Is there a site? Im not sure what the point of this thread is. Perhaps the OP can clarify.

5. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Kara = Tang and Te = Soo, in Chinese Characters, last time I checked...

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Just out of interest, I seem to remember that Tangsoodo is the korean translation of the old "pre-japanese" form of karate, meaning "chinese hand". What is the korean translation of "empty hand"?

7. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

I believe it is Kong Soo, there are Korean karate schools(or there were) that call themselves Kong Soo Do.

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

That would make sense - it's "kong sho dou" in Chinese.

9. DCombatives

DCombatives Valued Member

Many of C.S. Kim's old schools still have big signs that say "Korean Karate" out front. It's real simple: when Tang Soo Do was brought to America, Americans didn't know what "Tang Soo Do" was. However, they all knew the word "Karate". So many of the schools called themselves "Korean Karate" to market themselves to the public that didn't know any better. That's all there is to it; quit trying to make something out of nothing.

10. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Well there is a bit more to it than that.

TSD teaches many of the same forms and techniques found in Karate. So it actually is considered a style of Karate.

11. DCombatives

yeah, I remember trying to explain to you the Karate influence on TSD several months ago.

But no, when it comes to the big "Korean Karate" signs, there's nothing more to it than a guy teaching a Korean style using the word 'karate' for marketing to a relatively ignorant public.

12. DCombatives

Here, take a look at the search engines

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="korean+karate"&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q="kim's+karate"&btnG=Search

Notice how most, not all but most, are for a Korean style. They just use the word "Karate" the way lot's of people use "Xerox" for photocopy or "IPOD" for any MP3 player. It's a word the public recognizes as opposed to "Hwa Rang" or some other Korean word Amercians would not be familiar with. That's really all there is to it.

13. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Although mainstream KMA like TKD and TSD are derived from karate, I'd have to agree. Looking at how KMA tends to warp their own histories to edit out the Japanese/Okinawan influence, I'd say that the chances that Korean masters call their arts "karate" out of some sort of tribute to their roots are slim to nil, considering all the bitterness and rage over the occupation. It's mostly for visibility and marketing.

14. tekki

tekki Valued Member

Tang Soo Do appears to me to be a "missing link," or a "via media" between TKD and Karate. It has the kicking emphasis much like TKD, but the majority of the forms are virtually the same as the Shotokan canon.

15. MadMonk108

Dangsoodo, Taekwondo, Kongsoodo.

It's all the same.

16. jut1972

jut1972 New Member

Someone kindly asked me to let them know what I found out about a class calling itself Korean Karate and how it differs from TSD. So I did.

Thanks for all the replies

17. Kuma Densetsu

Kuma Densetsu New Member

Tang Soo Do, translates into:

Tang = Reffering to Tang Dynasty of China
    Soo = Hand
    Do = Way / Art

And since easterners speak yoda, we have way of the Tang hand, or way of the chinese hand. (Keep in mind this is coming from my master sensei not me) If you look at the specific movements, attacks and blocks of Tang Soo Do you would see that they are not anything like Karate or Tae Kwon Do. Karate concentrates much more on punches then kicks, as is typical with japanese martial arts, being designed more for weapons. Tae Kwon Do is much more fast paced and how can I say flamboyant movements where Tang Soo Do, tends to be more, slow and circular and direct highly characteristic of northern shaolin, and chinese martial arts.

18. MadMonk108

What kind of racist bull is this?

I have black belts in TKD and Dangsudo. Trust me, it's the same in the end.

Karate is not Japanese, it's Okinawan, and then adopted by the Japanese. Most Japanese karate features very little weapons training, with the majority of weapons in Okinawan karate being the result of crosstraining in a kobudo or kobujutsu.

Dude, where are you getting this?

19. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Karate is suppose to be the art of "empty hand". :rolleyes:

20. MadMonk108

Don't be rolling your eyes when you don't know.

唐手 reads as Karate in Japanese. It means Tang Hand. This is read as Dangsu in Korean.

空手 is also read as Karate in Japanese. This means Empty Hand. In Korean, it is pronounced Gongsu.

So, essentially, there are two completely different ways for writing the martial art of karate.