[Tang Soo Do] It's nothing much to boast about but....

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by AdamR, Apr 13, 2006.

1. AdamR

AdamR Kwan Soo

.... I passed my 9th Gup grading :D

We were assessed over a couple fo weeks for the self-defences, one-steps and forms/basics then on Tuesday had the breaking. We used heavy plastic breaking boards and it felt so good to hear them crack and know I'd done it. My elbow's bruised up a treat from practise on the leather immortal focus mitts. :)

Now I just have to wait for the belt and certificate....

I'm proud though, and looking forward even more to future progression!

2. AuntiePink

AuntiePink Naughty Member

Congratulations, Adam! I personally think that first grading is the toughest so it *is* something to boast about! ;)

3. MALibrarian

MALibrarian Valued Member

I definitely agree with what AuntiePink said. That first grading is a major hurdle, especially since it's usually such a foreign experience that the mental part is nearly as difficult as the physical. Congratulations on passing your first sign post on what will (hopefully) be a long and rewarding road.

Tang Soo!

-Sean

4. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Well done Adam. My first grading was like proof to me that I could do a martial art. Gradings wont seem as bad in the future and you should have a nice confidence boost. Keep up the good work.

5. jut1972

jut1972 New Member

nice one Adam, I passed my 9th gup back in March, I'm jealous cos i couldn't manage the break board, had two tries at a step side kick at it and it didnt go... :bang: must have been faulty :rolleyes:

I totally agree with tsdlibrarian, the mental side of the first grading is immense, the whole environment is different, a different examiner, loads of dan grades around etc it all makes it much more intimidating. (that said the physical side was a killer too i could barely lift my pint afterwards :p )

6. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Congrats to you on your promotion. Each promotion is "something to boast about". When I pass my Yellow belt exam this Saturday for TKD, I will certainly have achieved something! :cool: :Angel:

7. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

I'm a bit late in the day but WELL DONE ADAM :)

I think you've got the idea from the rest of the gang that you can be suitably proud of yourself - every step is important, and you've just taken one. Well done on the board break as well ;)

8. AdamR

AdamR Kwan Soo

It's interesting to me to hear how it's done differently in different organisations/dojangs.

For example, Jut1972 above had two attempts at a step side kick for 9th gup breaking, whereas we didn't even do that break. We tend to work from Ho Sik Pak's syllabus, so I had two breaks to do: standing front thrust kick and elbow strike. I didn't get the kick until the second attempt (first time hit the corner of the board), but the elbow felt good.

Ah well, at least the Kee Cho Hyungs Ee Bu and Sam Bu are something different to work through now :)

9. FightingMonk2k3

FightingMonk2k3 Valued Member

what is the 9th gup grading? i'm not too familiar with the promotions of other karate systems and the ranks that go with each promotion. which belt did you just test for?

10. monk-ki

monk-ki Monkey..Monk-ki...Get it?

9th gup is the first grading after white belt, which is 10th gup. In World Tang Soo Do Association it is a yellow belt. ;)