[Tang Soo Do] I'm going back

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by SuperSanity, Dec 3, 2006.

1. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

to the TSD school I used to go to. And I've been thinking about starting back at white belt (even though it's not required). I don't feel that I've retained enough of the info, and I completely forgot the katas I learned. Dumb question but, good idea?

2. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

yeah that might be a good idea (I know thats what I would do). That will give you time to catch up with the patterns you had forgot. How long have you been away from tsd? It might help to look at some videos of the patterns as well. Which organization were you in? International or world?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  3. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Good on you. You shouldnt have too much trouble starting up again. Over the years ive seen a few people restart tsd after a long break and they pick it up again pretty fast. Recently my school has had a guy who has had a six year break return. He was off doing Kickboxing and Shotokan and has had a bit of trouble remembering the forms but all his kicks etc are still good. It only took him about two months to get familiar with the whole Gup curriculum. We also let him continue with his previous grade(1st gup).

Best of luck

4. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

I forget which one the school was affiliated with. I think it was UFAF for a while. Wait, I'll look it up.... I.M.A.C. (International Martial Arts Council of America).

I think I last went in winter of '05 (early). But it may have been fall of '04. I remember the kicks, punches, blocks, and stances. But Master Wood's teaching style and such may have changed since his recent promotions and education.

5. RiveraRa

RiveraRa New Member

I just started Soo Bahk Do again about 2 months ago. I made Dan and then took a 10 year break. It all surprisingly came back pretty quickly. The thing im working on now is getting my strength and flexability back. Staying in a horse stance for a a long time is a lot harder than it used to be and throwing a side kick to the face doesnt look as pretty as it used to be either. Its challenging but def worth it!

Congrats for starting up again!

6. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Good for you!!

If you are willing to go back as a white belt, don't worry. Go back with whatever rank you had and train with the same humility and idea you would have as a white belt. The color of the belt is not so important if the attitude is healthy. Best of fortune with your return