[Tang Soo Do] I haven't been to training for 5 months...

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Cuchulain4, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Hi all

I had been studying TSD for a year back in november and was a yellow belt. Suddenly my grandad died and i stopped going to training, i then had to start working full time at my retail job to afford presents for christmas which meant working the nights when i had training this continued til a couple of months ago where my girlfriend of 3 years left me. I then quit my job to try and get my life back on track so suddenly i was able to train again, however i cant seem to bring myself to go. I spend the time inbetween sessions really looking forward to it but when it comes to the time i have to go my feet are like lead and i just want to laze around. I have no problem doing other exersise though, i play tennis once a week with a friend.

I feel guilty about not going to training, after all my seniors spent so much time and effort teaching me. I'm worried that they wont respect me anymore and wont give me same level of instruction as before.

How should i motivate myself to go? What should i say to Grandmaster Lee?

2. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

This kind of thing happens to most of us at one point in our training. I had a few months off due to illness and felt exactly the way you do. Once you get to a couple of classes it will be fine, youll find your a lot less rusty than you think. Im sure your class mates and teachers will be pleased to see you again and understand why you were off. Just go for it, remember how much fun you had.

best of luck

3. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

A little tip for you - I used to feel like I didn't want to train, fairly frequently. My reasons were to do with having had an exhausting day at work, often combined with a lack of sleep. What kept me going to the classes on days like this was the realisation that once I got there and the class started I'd be so caught up in the class that I'd forget I was even tired.

In a nutshell, drag yourself down there anyway. Five minutes into the class you'll forget you were ever tired to begin with.

Regarding your instructors - every student goes through bad phases once in a while. They'll almost certainly be pleased to see you come back.

4. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Tell him what you told us, nobody is going to criticise you for letting your training lapse whilst you're going through such a bad time in your life. Then pat yourself on the back for getting yourself together enough to want to go back to training so soon.

5. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Mate, it's your choice how much you train anyway. If you don't feel like training you don't have to, whatever the reason. If you're feeling guilty to yourself more than your instructors for letting yourself lose discipline or whatever, then I'm sure you can afford to give yourself a break given the hard time you went through.

6. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

update!!!

So, i managed to haul my skinny ass to the dojang tonight! :)

I had an awesome time! One of the best classes ever! :D Ive been training at home like a madman this week in preperation for tonights class and it really paid off. My flexibility is as good, if not better than ever! :eek: The class was made up of about 10 BB's,two red, and a green belt. So it was pretty full on but i gave it my all and was somehow still standing at the end ;)

Although i kept up my training at home, i did completely neglect my hyungs, but luckily i managed to remember them with no mistakes.

I got some great compliments off of a couple of BB's too about my free fighting, especially about my kicking ability. Also recieved some good critism too, apparently in my effort to get my kicks the highest in the class i have started to lift my heel off the floor with the grounded foot, which means they arent getting as much power and gives me less balance, this gives me something new to concentrate on before the next class.

Thanks a lot for giving me the motivation to return to training, the hard parts over now! :)

TANG SOO!