[Tang Soo Do] I Have A Question

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Korpy, May 9, 2005.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I thought Tang Soo Do was no more. :confused:

I thought it was a martial art, but then it became consumed by Taekwondo, and became part of TKD.

Is it still a seperate martial art?

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

It seems a lot of the arts have sort of blended together haven't they. I believe its still a seperate art though I know its often lumped in with TKD.

3. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

It's a little confusing. :confused:

4. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Alas my friend Tang Soo Do is a name of a style - it means karate. There were a few different kwans (schools) that taught Tang Soo Do in the early 50's in korea. Many, most joined Tae Kwon Do to some degree, but there were a few that did not. Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan of Hwang Kee was the largest and most recognized school of Tang Soo Do that did not go the way of Tae Kwon Do.

Today, Tang Soo Do is certainly very different than Tae Kwon Do. I do both and i can tell you first hand that they have taken two different paths. Tang Soo Do is very much alive, even if it is overshadowed by its cousin Tae Kwon Do.

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Thank you very much for clearing that up, cause I understand now. :)

Is there like a World Tang Soo Do federation or something?

Also what is Tang Soo Do? Chinese, Japanese, Korean, ect?

6. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

"Tang Soo Do" is teh Korean equivalent of "Karate" With that said, Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan is a Korean style fashioned with a combination of Japanese adn Chinese influence. The earlier forms are Japanese (Okanawan), but the black belt forms mainly come from China. In the end it is a Korean interpretation of what a martial art should be. people will argue about this until the end of time, but at this point it has been Korean for 50 years or more so it can be said it is now Korean.

7. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I wish there was a Tang Soo Do dojo by me, it sounds really cool. I must do more research on Tang Soo Do.
    Also is it Tang Soo DO or Tang Soo Do Moo Do Kwan?

8. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Well now this is where the politics got involved. I don't know the whole of it because I abhor the politics and noise, but I do know that Moo Duk Kwan which is/was Hwang Kee's organization now uses Soo Bahk Do as it's style name. there are other Tang Soo Do organizations such as International Tang Soo Do Federation, American Tang Soo Do Association, world Tang Soo Do Association, etc. Basically, it comes down to a student "outgrowing "their instructor and starting their own school/organization.

9. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

So, Soo Bahk do, Tang Soo Do, Moo Duk Kwan may alll mean the same thing - LOL. Althought there were some Kwans that also taught Tang Soo Do and may still.

10. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

lol, thank you.

Maybe someday I'll be able to take Tang Soo Do, cause it sounds cool, but I'm gonna do some more research.

11. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I just read about Tang Soo Do, it was a brief history, and ect.

Tang Soo Do is really cool!

12. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

LOL - well I think it is cool. however, as with every martial art, it comes down to teh individual instructor you get. They are the true instrument of the art.

13. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I still wish there was a Tang Soo Do dojo by me, it seems like a very good martial art.

14. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

It is. BTW a dojo is a Japanese training hall, "dojang" is the Korean equivalent. :)

15. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

It is great to see your interest Korpy. I've taken this as my 1st ever martial art due to finding the right instructor - and I've enjoyed every minute of it. (OK - let me have a think about that pressure point seminar...... Yep! Even that :D)

Hope you find what you're looking for.

16. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Someday, I'll find a dojang for Tang Soo Do.

17. chrischris

chrischris New Member

yes. i took ki-aikido when i was yougner,but i finished that because the instuctor was a tool.

i love my instructor now,hes awesome and ful of great ideas, tang soo do and weightlifting are the pivotal focus of my life