[Tang Soo Do] a simple question

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Andy Cap, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

I have a really simple question here.

What side you your dans where their stripes? For example a 2nd dan has two stripes on the end of their belt, on the left or right?

2. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

In our school, and in many other TSD schools I have seen, the stripes are always on the left. On the right side in our school, we have the Dan # and the Dan holder's name as well.

I've seen some variations of where the placement of the Dan # and name (if there is one) are. However, I've seen pretty universally that the stripes will be on the left side (from the wearer's point of view looking down upon their belt).

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Ours hang on the right.

4. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi,

In 'my style' P-K-J - I just wear a plain black belt - but that's because I haven't figured out what 'rank' I am yet - I have two students who have been training for nearly two years one has done his first grading (red belt though he still wears a white belt and was a 2nd dan in Kyu Shin Ryu karate) one hasn't yet - Must get around to it some time - but we have so much fun training that a grading would just seem to waste training time :)

In Kyu Shin Ryu I am a 4th dan and we have overlapping round markings - one for each dan grade and they are on both ends of the belt.

I like belts with names on - that way if you get knocked unconscious you can look at your belt when you come round to figure out who you are - I'm 'Made in Taiwan' :)

All the best.

Robert.

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Does it really matter? Just curious.

6. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Well of course not - but if we apply that criteria there will be NO postings on the forum :) :) :) :)

(This early morning Zen thought was brought to you by Deranged of Luton)

All the best.

Robert.

7. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

It does matter if there is a standard and we are expected to conform to that standard. My wife is a stickler for these silly little things. So, I asked you all.

8. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Absolutely correct - also within a club dan grades should set a good example by their dress and behaviour so knowing the correct way makes sense.

NOTE TO SELF: Must try one day to set a good example - NO, nobody would believe it...

All the best.

Robert.

9. Topher

Topher allo!

We have a stripe running right across the belt.

10. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Homer - you mean there is a double strip running the length of the belt, no matter what rank you are?

11. Topher

Topher allo!

Single stripe only, and starting from senior brown belt (white stripe)

Then its midnight blue belt (Dan)....
    1st Dan - white stripe
    2nd Dan - yellow stripe
    3rd Dan - green stripe
    4th Dan & above - red stripe

12. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Do teh dans use stripes or anythink like that to denote degrees?

13. Topher

Topher allo!

Yeah, the idea is that once you reach black belt, your start over, thus the white, yellow...etc stripes

14. TangSooRed

TangSooRed New Member

That sounds kinda cool, though, back in the early 70's when I was a Judaka, only the juniors brown and black had the stripe(under 16) I kind of remember that the girls had the stripe in the gup ranks too, though its been a while so I'm not 100% on that.

b

15. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

That is interesting. I don't know that I have ever heard it done that way before. Thnx for the tidbit :)

16. MALibrarian

MALibrarian Valued Member

And to add just more confusion to the mix, we also don't wear stripes.

The people I have seen wearing them have had the stripes on the right.

17. 1eo

1eo Banned Banned

(Master Samane and Instructors / picture from http://www.greatwarriorpak.com/ )
    [​IMG]

This is an easy question... it's a known fact... they go on the left!!! :D j/k

In my school they wear the stripes on the left :)

Tabg Soo
    Leo

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  18. Topher

Topher allo!

I guess you use tags, what colour are they/how many do you have?

19. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

Stripes on the left for dans and on the right for gups with tags

20. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Well when I started TSD we used a white belt up to 7th gup - we used black electricians tape for the stripes or tags.

6th gup was green belt. We keep green until 4th gup using black tape there as well.

3rd gup - red belt up to 1st gup again using electricinas tape.

Cho dan - no stripes.
    Ee dan - two stripes. Originally I used white medical tape for my stripes on my midnight blue belt. Laft hand side. Same for 3rd dan.

4th dan is a midnight blue belt with red stripe lengthwise.