[Tang Soo Do] 1st Gup to Cho-Dan

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by ATF, Mar 4, 2005.

1. ATF

ATF Valued Member

This question is for those of u who have received Cho-Dan rank. Could u pls share your memories/thoughts prior to the day of your Cho-Dan test. Specifically did u feel "ready" for the test. Lastly how did u feel once the test was completed. :bang:

Tang Soo!
    -ATF

2. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Feeling butterflies my friend? Or perhaps you are eager and feeling ready and confident?

When I tested for my cho dan I felt ready, but of course I was nervous as well. We had just joined the ITF and Grandmaster Chun Sik Kim was sitting on our testing board. We had never met this man before and here he was! Our test was tough, but aton of fun.

There are some words of wisdom that a senior black belt can hand to a cho dan candidate.
    First, understand that your instructor believes in your ability and knowledge, otherwise they would not let you represent the school in the test.
    Second, this is your test. Your day. Take the time during the test adn take mental pictures of it - these memories are solid gold.
    Third, rather than feel like you are being tested, present your art to the board. Show them your love of the art and show them why you love it.
    I could go on for days, but these things I think are important.

3. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

Oh, I was hyped so hard I could barely sleep the night before. When I got there I stretched out, then when the test came it was me, a 16 year old testing with two younger ones about 10 or 11 years old. I was center of attention and although there was a tad bit of nervousness, I converted it all to fire and excitement. I was so pumped up. I made no large mistakes and gave it my all. I left the test satisfied with how hard I earned my Black Belt. And I did something I'll never forget...

At the end when the Senior Master (Sa Bom Nim Donny Meadows) asked if we had any questions I jumped to attention and raised my hand (it was only the three of us out there). He acknowledged me and I said one of the most unexpected, funniest and blatantly disrespectful things I had ever said in a martial arts Do Jang. With a smirk on my face I asked with trepidation "Did I pass!". The board cracked up and luckily the Sa Bom Nim didn't hold it against me (I don't think). Keep in mind that this was the most traditional, intense and heart-throbbing test I had ever experienced (yet), so comedy relief was a must. He just grinned and gave me a little speech about how I should be a little more patient. Then he sat down and with a grin he said calmly "And yes, I don't have any doubts that you passed".

Afterwards, all anyone could talk about for a week or two to me was my question. A very great test and a memory that I don't think will fade in this lifetime haha. :D

That was over two years ago. I'm testing for 2nd Dan on April 23rd, and I intend to blow away my test for 1st Dan. I'm already getting jittery in anticipation for my *new* hardest test I've ever experienced. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  4. ATF

ATF Valued Member

Andy very interesting points to ponder. I appreciate your honesty. It's litterally a mix bag of emotions. :bang: Strangely enough I think I may have actually met you at Malden's old Do Jang. How ironic? If I'm right.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  5. ATF

ATF Valued Member

ROFLMAO :D That is truly a classic story! I'm sure you passed with flying colors. Thanks. PsiCop how long have you been training in TSD?

6. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

It sure is a mixxed bag. I equate it to a wedding day. It is wrought with emotions and some are good and some are not so good. Doubt, fear, excitement, enthusiasm, eagerness! I have been teh best man at a few weddings and I always say the same thing to the bride and groom as I said to you, take time during this event to look around and take mental pictures because you will do this once and never again will you feel this way.

There is a very good chance you met me in Malden if you were there before 2000. I have been to the new headquarters 2 times since he has moved.

7. PsiCop

I trained for four years at a mediocre Shotokan Karate hall. I then moved to Tang Soo Do and have now been training in this for about 4 1/2 years. When I came and switched to Tang Soo Do they allowed me to start at 6th Gup (green) due to my knowledge in Shotokan being similar.

8. PsiCop

Attached Files:

9. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Hey PsiCop - is your instructor wearing black trim? When i was with teh I.T.F. we still had midnight blue - has that changed?

10. PsiCop

Well, we left the ITF before that time. I imagine the master was wearing the patch due to the fact that he may have still had ties with them, though I doubt it. In regard to your question, though, it's simply the picture quality. We wear midnight blue belts and the trim is similar. However, some of the students have a trim that is more reminiscent of almost a dark bluish-purple. It could appear to be black if not looked at closely. However, the belts have and always will be straight midnight blue. Probably just a bad fabric color choice for the trim on the part of the person who sewed it on there.

11. JunFan38463

JunFan38463 New Member

i was more worried durring my E Dan test, mainly beacause of the knife defense, the fact that they would attack you without you knowing what to expect kinda made me nervous, but i did well.

of course my favorite part of that test was breaking i love breaking with Split kick :) and got it on my first try

12. PsiCop

JunFan, my upcoming E-Dan test is going to have the same things you mentioned. The knife defense is random and full speed, if you get cut or stabbed, you "die" and lose points. I had a black belt recertification about a year ago and I was so in the zone, I did the best out of all the recertifying Cho Dans and those testing for E Dan. I didn't get cut a single time, and executed every defense quickly and effectively. I'm going to try and do it again, but I need to get in the zone.

I also have a double jumping front kick. I have no worries about that break, but I find it interesting that you had such similar material for your test. Are you a part of the ITF, JunFan? Oh and welcome to the forums :)

13. JunFan38463

JunFan38463 New Member

No my school wasnt apart of the ITF

i trained under Sa Ba Nim Maryann Walsh, highest ranked female in the US i believe. pretty much all of the SBD MDK test are the same im sure there are small differances in other part of the country, but when i went for both my Cho, and E dan tests i saw basicly the same things both Years

14. PsiCop

Hmm, all right. Didn't realise it was as universal as it was.

15. JunFan38463

JunFan38463 New Member

hahah lol SBD is proobly the most commercial of all the styles, its run like a buissness more than a art, thats one of the reasons i want to try other styles

dont get me wrong i loved my instructors and classmates, but the whole thing just seems kinda wrong, esspecally the Dan # system my Dan bon is my Names # 38463 but i dont think students should be labeled as numbers, were people with our own personal level of skill just because someone passed a test before or after me doesnt mean there any better or worse than me

lol sorry got on a lil rant there ;)

16. PsiCop

Dan #'s just keep with a tradition. It's not labelling students as numbers. It's more of a way to keep true to the roots and to give it a more universal feel. Glad I got a cool Dan #.... 43001 ...... "and one", it's just so unique lol.

17. JunFan38463

JunFan38463 New Member

yeah, i dunno maybe im weird but i just dont like being numbered... lol

and like i said its run like a bussiness, or worse.... a CHURCH lol jkjk

18. PsiCop

*shutters* Yeah, unfortunately. Fortunately, my school keeps pretty true to making the martial art the big priority.

19. BRITON

BRITON Valued Member

Hi this Fed no 9946 DAN BON 29114 Dont go there!!!!

20. PsiCop

HAHAHA, Yeah, he may have to pull rank and then people might scowl you :)