Tan Tien Breathing

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mani, Jan 10, 2004.

1. mani

mani Valued Member

I've read information about Tan Tien breathing and how it can be very benificial to your health and fitness. Tan Tien being an inch or two below your navel.

Anyone practiced Tan Tien breathing exercises?

2. Darren

Darren Valued Member

I do it if I want to inhale. I rarely use my chest these days.

Breathing with the dan tien means your diaphragm moves downwards and the tummy moves outwards. This gently massages your bits n pieces. It's good practice for chi kung.

-D

ps I have no idea why I'm writing like I'm 8. :D

3. sumito

sumito New Member

In my school, we start every class with this breathing method. It does several things at once.

Its most immediate benefit is to give your mind a focus which you can transfer from the breathing itself to the training you are about to do. It also increases your energy circulation through the core (dan tien[chinese], tan tien[japanese]) and then out to the extremities. When you breath in, you should focus on drawing energy into the core. When you breath out, you should focus on moving the energy out to the extremities. This also applies when doing actual movements. This is why we exhale as we strike.

You can also do this breathing quickly which will raise your heart rate and warm you up from the inside. We call it Fire Breathing. I often break a light sweat with this technique.

This is also a great thing to practice after intense exercise when you need to get your breathing back under control.