Tall people and throws

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Decision Tree, May 12, 2009.

1. Decision Tree

Decision Tree Valued Member

Judo is not my primary art but i've been going along for a while now and have been invited to take part in a competition.

Now, in class we have studied lots of throws. A lot of people I train with are short, stocky types. Obviously, i'm sure there will be people at this competition with all sorts of body shapes with all different levels of experience. I'm 6ft tall and in randori, although I do well against a lot of people there, I find it difficult to pull off throws like Ippon Seio Nage or even basic O Goshi against these smaller but bigger built guys. I have much more success with things like O Soto Gari and Tai Otoshi.

If you're a taller guy competing against a shorter opponent, the stratgey changes. What are the most effective techniques to use against shorter people? Are there any hints or tips for dealing with shorter but stronger opponents. I was offered some advice last night - gripping behind the neck and pulling down, however, with the opponent bent over like this, it didn't exactly mean making a throw any easier.

Any suggestions would be great.

Also, in regular randori and, as I understand it, in this competition, we do not fight in weight classes. I've been in newaza randori with opponents that are a lot heavier and although I feel I am technically better, it's difficult to keep them down when I get a hold or to get them off me. I'm sure I need to keep working on my holds and just keep training in general but last night for example, I had a big guy in a really really good Kesa Gatame hold - it was on tight. Couldn't keep him there for long even though I followed his movements. When i'm with the bigger guys, I often end up defending myself and posistioning into half guard/ guard to stop a pin and to see what can be done from there. Perhaps in competition, we wouldn't be down there that long if I have guard so as long as i'm able to get that consistanly, should I worry? I suppose this is why there are weight classes but without resorting to using things from my other martial art where striking is permitted, how do you go about getting the upper hand? Any tips here would be great.

I didn't think I would be doing competition. I'm actually pretty excited about it. Any tips for a first time competition would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. eltgire

eltgire New Member

I wish I had some advice for you, but I am interested in the replies you might get. I just started Judo (main art is Isshinryu) and am working on O Goshi and the basics. I too am 6' and have a really hard time with a smaller ukes. My problem is pulling them off balance and maintaning that while sliding my hip in. Having to get down so low makes it so much harder. Congrats on the invitation.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  3. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Ok forget about trying to use ogoshi and seoinage against anyone significantly shorter than you - you're simply wasting energy. Stick to o soso gari and tai otoshi. Also remember you're ko waza - o uch gari, ko uchi gari and de ashi barai. As a tall guy, ashi waza are your best friend. Also important is to get them moving around. Shorter heavy guys make it really hard to move in for a throw because they tend to sink their weight down, so get them moving and use combinations rather than single throws.

With groundwork, you can't be afraid to move into a different position to keep the hold, especially against bigger guys. They are always hard to keep down, so rather than try to hold, say, kesa gatame, be prepared before things go haywire to move into kami shiho gatame or yoko shiho gatame for instance.
    Gotta rush off, if you have any more questions please feel free to ask,,

4. DragonSpawn

DragonSpawn Ronin

I'm not terribly experienced in throws, but I would say that if it's possible use your higher center of gravity to offset the opponent's balance, then I think you should use throws to take advantage of that. For example, in a throw that pushes the opponent's upper body in some way, you will have the natural advantage, whereas in a throw that uses the hip to travel under the opponent's center of gravity your height will be disadvantageous.

5. Decision Tree

Decision Tree Valued Member

Thank you for your suggestions Benkei - i'll look into that.

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i've done judo. in my hapkido dojang we integrate some judo throws into our curriculum. i'm 6' 00", so taller than 75% of the people out there. my main issue is getting low enough and maintaining the fulcrum point. took a long time for me to learn to get a little lower than my opponent. sorry, but my judo terminology stinks now, but maybe instead of shoulder or hip throws where you need to get a little lower, try more sweeps. maybe?

7. blanker

blanker Valued Member

the snap down from wrestling is a good takedown for tall lads as for judo i would probably try and get good and sweeps were your extra range would be an advantage.

8. mike.Budo

mike.Budo Valued Member

Greetings each
    Competion Judo is totally different than when in the dojo leaning .As on of the Masters once said 'Do the kata correctly,the real fight is a different matter' . I agrree that if you're tall and have long legs .Ashi waza are fantastic techniques .However your apponent may well be aware of this .So you will have to utilize what knowelage you have .Also agree with ground holds.Don't rely on one hold ,move around ,but maintain control of the shoulders. Mind you an Ippon thow will save you from having to do any of that he he :)...I wish you well in your competition

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  9. Baichi

Baichi Valued Member

Actually, that can be a problem. Taller guys trying to snap down shorter opponents often 'snap' them right down into their legs. A snap down is often a better bet for the shorter guy, as taller folks tend to lean forward too much to compensate for having more 'real estate' to defend from leg shots.

Foot sweeps and ankle picks are good for taller guys.

10. tokman20

tokman20 Valued Member

All I know is with Ogoshi and those type of standing throws, just bend your knees and get your belt below their belt. It becomes alot easier :)

11. blanker

blanker Valued Member

im not a tall guy so i wouldnt know lol but i can see your point

12. TJT2039

TJT2039 New Member

I'm a tall guy, 6' 3" and I am fairly new to martial arts. I have a real hard time with my O'goshi because I am so tall and weight roughly 165, the skinniest part of my body are my legs so when it comes to having leg strength I pretty much have none. My sensei instructed me to practice O'goshi at home and he told me to take a pair of shoes and set them up about shoulder width apart like I am standing in front of someone. Then move in like I am doing O'goshi and practice on where my feet are positioned. Once I got the positioning down I put the shoes against the wall and put a piece of tape on the wall where an opponents belt would be (roughly someone that is 5' 5") and worked on getting my feet positioned right and my own belt lower then my opponents. Once I got those down I practied the whole throw positioning, getting low, hand movements. I still have to practice a lot more with an uke but that definetly helps retain the movements in your mind.

13. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

You'll find that body-weight squats and really exaggerated (i.e. if you can get down to a deep squat and back up again each time) solo uchi-komi will work wonders for getting really low when doing hip throws

14. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Go with what works for you in competition. (what benkei says in his post):cool:
    In training study your weaknesses.

koyo

15. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Valued Member

if your are tall use your legs it will help i use O UCHI GARE allot [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  16. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Generally speaking a tall judoka finds if difficult to do waza like seoi nage.If one looks at judoka like Anton Geesink, the very famous Olympic gold champion, one can see how a big man can utilise his body effectively.Throws like Uchi Mata, Harai Goshi[and variations], OGoruma allied to Ashi Waza, Osoto Gari etc is the main basic strategy to deal with shorter opponents.Generally speaking the shorter guy is a bit faster and moves around , coming in from various angles, so a big guy has to be able to neutralise the movement of the smaller man.Getting ones own speed , flexibility and quick reflexes are also worth improving.