Talk me out of buying a grappling dummy.

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Mangosteen, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I have one I made about 18 years ago, first use it for in a decade was lockdown lol, they can be useful for top game work, a workout for ground and pound and so on, drilling leg lock entries or guard passes, but as you say so limited for working off your back.

You also need a surprising amount of room to move round it properly, but these are strange times and that's cheap for a dummy if I'm honest.

I don't use mine at the moment but luckily my gf trains grappling so I have a live dummy to work with :)

axelb likes this.
  3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I dont know how sophisticated your dummy was but this one is weirdly human:

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It's unfilled, so you'll have to add that too, everyone in the UK should be immunised by April next year.

As long as the wierdo antivaxers don't make up too much of the population.

In some ways it would be better if the virus suddenly got more lethal to scare the more selfish people into getting it. I'm hoping other countries will require it for holidays, that will soon increase the take-up.

axelb likes this.
  5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I had a canvas one from May, I'm drilling 2-3 times a week 30-60 mins and it hasn't lasted well, a lot of tears in the seems which I had to restitch, I ended up getting a favuke leather one a month ago with a discount, you should be able to get another 10% off that price. With offers o got the leather one for £90

It's limited, but enough to keep me going. If you do get one, try to get it similar height, the first one I had was a bit shorter and some things were harder to with on, like butterfly, slx and X guard.

They come with no filling, but you can get 10kg for ~£10 if you don't have old clothes. I have 2 kids, so I have any 5 bags of old clothes, which was more than enough to fill, also check with you class mates as a few ordered too much may have some going spare.

If you have the space and is not too much of a dent too your wallet then it's a sufficient alternative. I have no one I can train with in the house and as I'm sheilding it's going to be a few more months still, so I was ok to invest in one.

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

MAP. The only place you can seriously discuss grappling with leather dummies and nobody bats an eyelid :D

axelb likes this.
  7. axelb

I forget to put it away sometimes and then open the garage door to what looks like a body slumped on the floor, I explain that is a grappling dummy but I don't think that makes it any better.

I saw a video of Marcelo Garcia using a grappling dummy, but I'm sure he could drill with a large piece of cheese and still make it look good.

8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Will you use it? Even after the pandemic? If you don't use it after the pandemic, will the cost have been worth getting you through the pandemic?

Can you afford it?

If the answers are yes, I think you should buy it. If there is one thing that this year has taught us is that life is difficult. If it doesn't cause financial distress, just go for it. It has been a hell of a year, and the beginning - at least- of 2021 is going to be hard too.

I know you wanted to be talked out of it, but I can't.......not this year........

Follow your bliss.

axelb likes this.
  9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

My one was called Susan. Susan the Submitter.

She wasn't quite as articulated as I would've liked.

axelb likes this.
  10. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

You do need to be careful with that. I once had a misunderstanding with 7 policemen in riot gear and an armed response unit. Very nice chaps. After two hours of questioning they dropped me back in the park where they picked me up.

axelb and Mushroom like this.
  11. axelb

20201029_171548.jpg I'll make sure that it at least looks like a drunk guy in future

Tom bayley likes this.
  12. Mushroom

2hrs??

13. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

it would have been quicker but the were really hoping to get an arrest out of it to justify the man hours for 9 policemen.

14. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I was picked up with a friend training forms in the park. As these particular forms were not open handed we were using training equipment specific to the sport of demonstration WU SU. The questions were in regard to whether the training equipment was intended or adapted for the use as a weapon. to which the reply was - no it is sporting equipment used for playing WU SU. the equipment was in a bag belonging to my friend. So they were also interested in finding out which items of training equipment belonged to whom.

after 2 hour's ish they asked if I would accept a caution for possession of offensive weapons. I politely declined and they said" oh well we'd better let you go then. Do you want a lift back ? "

15. Mushroom

Dunno where you're based. Mine took 10 minutes. Bo staff and a rubber katana.
    Asked what we were doing in the park. Had a quick chat about training. On their way. :)

axelb likes this.
  16. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Was it 7 police men in a van, plus two armed response officers in a car? having made the effort I think they really wanted to have a result to show for it. :)

Our maybe my face just does not look as honest as yours ! :D

17. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Or perhaps it all depends on where you work. ;' )

I've been stopped lots of times, sometimes for just reading a book or walking in the park... once they speak to me they usually decide I'm pretty inoffensive and leave me alone. Actually , back to where one works, often the constables coming to check on me were patients and quickly apologized for the disturbance. They had a pretty good idea that there might be some comeuppance next time they came to the clinic :' D!

hewho likes this.