Talk HEMA to me

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Smaug97, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

Hey Guys
    So whilst i don't have the space in my schedule for consistently training in HEMA i have been starting to take a real interest in it, and had a few questions which you've probably all heard before.

Firstly, I was wondering if there were any reputable HEMA schools in my area (Surrey, preferably close to Gatwick), should i wish to go on sabbatical and train at one, i believe there was an interesting one near Brighton recommended to me but that's a bit out of my way right now.

In the same vein are there any seminars that i could attend that would give me further insight into HEMA (i'm really liking the look of longsword but i'm open to anything really).

And Finally what manuals can people recommend?

axelb likes this.
  2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Woking has Matt and Lucy Easton - probably some of the best known HEMA teachers in the UK.

In terms of manuals, it really depends what type of weapons you're looking at, but bear in mind that many of the manuals were written at a time when flowery language was all the rage, so they can actually be really difficult to parse into modern-day instructions. Better to go along and learn with people who have already been doing that for years or decades than to start from scratch.

Smaug97 likes this.
  3. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

Cheers Aegis- think having compared SG with the other clubs in my area it looks like the most viable option, although a bit far for me to incorporate into my routine- but should my circumstances change its definitely on the list of places to train at, shame really that fightcamp thing looks like a hoot and a half.

4. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Is Godalming too far? School of the Sword is a really respected school for Italian Renaissance styles