Taking suing a bit to far

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Taoquan, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

2. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Hmmm sounds a bit familiar to a film starring billy connolly

3. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

which was based on a true story...

4. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

That's what I thought, I've looked on the interweb just now and there's no mention of it being based on a true story. Yet I could have sworn it was.

Basically, in the movie (real life?) some insurance company refused to pay out on a lightning strike on a boat saying it was an "Act of God". Being that the Jewish and Christian churches are God's representatives on Earth they were either liable for the damages or had to prove that God didn't exist to avoid paying out...

5. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I read about this earlier today. I can see his point, but there has to be a better way to do it; his frivolous lawsuit to protest her frivolous lawsuit is just another tree being killed and more work for everyone else; the case has to be docket, stuff has to be filed, etc. Way to clog the system to protest frivolous lawsuits clogging the system!

6. Buckeye Blue

Buckeye Blue Valued Member

This reminds of a prisoner complaint several years back where satan was named as a defendant.

United States ex rel. Gerald Mayo v. Satan and His Staff
    54 F.R.D. 282 (W.D. Penn. 1971)

A Real Devil of a Litigant. Plaintiff filed suit against Satan and his staff for violation of his civil rights. Among the allegations were: (1) that Satan had on numerous occasions caused him misery and unwarranted threats, all against his will; (2) that Satan had placed deliberate obstacles in his path that caused Plaintiff's downfall; and (3) that by reason of the foregoing acts, Satan had deprived him of his constitutional rights.

The court noted that, "Even if plaintiff's complaint reveals a prima facie recital of the infringement of the civil rights of a citizen of the United States, the Court has serious doubts that the complaint reveals a cause of action upon which relief can be granted by the court."

The court went on about its concerns and further noted, "We question whether plaintiff may obtain personal jurisdiction over the defendant in this judicial district .... the plaintiff has failed to include with his complaint the required form of instructions for the United States Marshal for directions as to service of process."

Case dismissed as frivolous.

7. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Which of the gods would you file suit against?

Among religious believers it is often common to view one's Gods or God to be virtually or even entirely omnipotent. However, in the litigious American society, even the once-unparalleled might of the Divine pales in comparison to that of the earthly tasks of legal proceedings, as gods can be sued in a court of law.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20827350/

What are your thoughts?

8. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

id sue the "Oh God" of hangovers

9. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

10. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Wow, he's soooo brave. :rolleyes:

Just try that stunt with Allah. :woo:

11. ReeceLightning

ReeceLightning Valued Member

this was posted yesterday

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

God is "served"

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20070919/tod-us-justice-religion-offbeat-f62056d_1.html

um....your thoughts? :D

13. Shiho-Nage

Shiho-Nage I'm okay to go.

Someone using the system to make their point about perceived inadequacies of that same system.

Nothing gets headlines like God. Don't mess with peoples' favorite mythology or you'll get burned. Just check out any trolls on a LotR message board.

14. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

That is frickin' hillarious! I don't even know what to say about it, but I'm actually a bit surprised someone in California didn't come up with the idea first, seems there's nothing but frivolous law suits here. Cheers for the link!

Wait, does this mean I could get a restraining order against God and all his subordinants? And if so does that mean all the darn Jehova's Witnesses and Mormons would be forced to stop knocking on my darn door all the time?! :D

Wait, wait, what's more does this mean survivors of natural disasters ("acts of God") could sue him for damages? You know, this could really open up a can of worms here.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  15. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

16. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Suing God... You ought to be joking me. Is this about the money, or are we going to get nature involved to pay up money from the horrifing incidents?

The only offer that is coming from God, is death upon him when it's his time. :p He's got to chill and live his own life, and not to blame God for his claim. That's just plain greedy.

17. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

I am curious if he "happens to win" does the money still say:
    "In god we trust on it????" :D

18. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Haha Tao forsure. Forsure. Also change the "God bless America" thing.

The judge must be balling in tears to get the mans lawsuit across.

19. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Why would God make terrorist threats?
    One split of a second and "puff" you could be powder...and you or anyone else can't do a jack about it :woo:
    I don't get it. Even if for some retarded-weird reason he wins, from who is he going to get the money. And who or what is going to prevent God from making further "terrorist threats". U.S. Army? Russia?

People got way too much time on their hands these days... :topic: