Take a moment today to remember

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by holyheadjch, Jun 6, 2009.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'm really not one for anniversaries of any kind. I make Scrooge look positively jolly at Christmas and I hate the fact that Facebook reminds all of my friends when my birthday is. But there are some days that truly deserve remembrance and I think today is one of them.

Today is the 65th anniversary of D-Day.

The 6th June 1944 was, I think, one of the most important days in modern history, its outcome did so much to shape the world we live in today - had things gone differently and the landings failed I doubt there would have been anything the allies could have done to stop Germany. If the Holocaust looked back after 6 years of war, picture it after 10 or 15. Fortunately we prevailed but that victory came at a high price.

Take a moment today to remember the thousands who didn't make it off those beaches or who never reached their drop zones. We owe them a debt of gratitude that we will never be able to repay. I think a few moment of remembrance and reflection is the absolute least we can and should do.

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Agreed koyo

Whenever anyone on MAP calls himself a warrior ..they should reconsider.

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Nicely said, lads.

[​IMG]

4. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I've been to the beaches , and the graves , twice now , truly humbling.

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

My son's been over there with his school. He is laying a wreath and have visited a concentration camp and the graves.
    A lot of people died today so that we could say what we want on the internet.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  6. Mustafa1

Mustafa1 Banned Banned

It is great that you get "worked up" for doing something like this.

But i dont. I fear that you may consider this strange, or ignorant. But really, i see no benefit from remembering old events. What is important is that we live in this moment. We could have not been able to post things on internet had it not been for that event which once took place, like Moi said. But still, i don't see why that would prevent us from living in the moment?

They in that war fought for peace? Well living in the moment is about internal peace which projects outward, external peace.

7. Moi

It's something we have to do while even one of those old soldiers is still alive.

8. koyo

Mustafa 1

We can live as we "choose" BECAUSE of those men AND WOMEN.

KOYO

9. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

For our tomorrow they gave their today.

It was not just the beaches Pegasus Bridge

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Says it all better than I could
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYlrrAWCTRg"]YouTube - A Pittance of Time - Terry Kelly[/ame]

11. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Ignorant and rude. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

12. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

There's always one

13. koyo

Yep and my hope is that it IS only one.

It is definately the saddest post I have seen on MAP

koyo

14. Moi

The war was your early childhood. Guess this is more important to you than any of us.

15. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

:bow1:I will never be able to repay the debt I owe, my existence. Events on this day paved the way for the brave young men of the 3rd Battalion, 157th Infantry Regiment, of the U.S. 45th Division to open the gates of hell in April 1945 and free both my and my wife's parents.

Were it not for the events of this day, neither of us would exist. :bow1:

16. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

I will never be able to repay the debt I owe, my existence. Events on this day paved the way for the brave young men of the 3rd Battalion, 157th Infantry Regiment, of the U.S. 45th Division to open the gates of hell in April 1945 and free both my and my wife's parents.

Were it not for the events of this day, neither of us would exist. :bow1:

17. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

My grandad was actually a radio operator on a lancaster bomber. He passed away a few years ago. Thanks, grandad.

18. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

That is biggest bunch of narcissistic, navel gazing, delusional BS I've heard in a while on MAP. Sadder yet that you chose this thread to play psuedo monk in this thread where people have taken time out to remember family, friends and countrymen who gave their life to ensure that people had the possibility to be able to think and act freely.

Man you've got it twisted.:bang:

Having had many great uncles who fought and died in WWII I can honestly say thanks to them. Many suffered at great cost and were killed unjustly or unfairly as POW's (my fathers side). Those who made it back alive (my mothers side) carried it with them their whole life long and often not without a bit of sadness from having seen friends die.

I worry sometimes because it often seems like my generation was the last to actually hear stories passed down first hand from WWII. I often wonder if for the younger generations (the post by Mustafa is an example perhaps) of people who have little connection to the war and little understanding of just how all encompassing it was. In their ignorance they'd be the first to march right back into the same cycle of events that caused such a massive war in which so many from all sides lost their lives.

It will be a shame when the day comes that the young people don't know enough about it to commemorate it. It's interesting how large the war loomed long after it was fought. Even though I was born in the 1970's I can still name most of the airplanes and vehicles and weapons from the war. Most of the major battles and why they were important and effected the outcome of the war. It was often something discussed at the dinner table. I spent countless hours as a little kid building model WWII planes or watching my dad build them.

When you think about it like that... it wasn't very long ago at all. Sometimes I fear that my generation wouldn't have had the courage that those who fought in WWII did. They signed up and went in the thousands... and many never made it back.

Hats off to those who did so.

19. Mustafa1

Mustafa1 Banned Banned

OK.
    Guys it was rude. I don't claim to be holding the truth here, but truths are always considered negative at first. There is one cool quote for this, i don't have time now to get it. I might aswel be just wrong, and deserving being ridiculed, but this is unknown before time has passed.

You know guys? I have heard that in Iraq they have EXTREMELY many hollidays. What does that come from? I heard it comes from that people celebrate religious event (deaths and births and such) of many old event. All these event which are religious are important. Equally important. And nothing is more important / more equal than another. This has caused in Iraq tremedous ... vacancy (there is just hollidays, very much days for rest, the society does not work as effective as it could). In our situation, my point is not that this could happen to us (but it could in the future). But my point is that there are many other event which deserves our attention. And when we have the choise of paying attention or ignoring something. It is better to just ignore in avoidance of discrimination. We can't pay attention to everything.

And the mistakes of the past happened because people didn't live in THIS moment. This is a turth; Truth and peace is always present and does not need our aid to preveal. If we try to do something it is bound to become counter-effective. That is the nature of things. Because of impermanence. Just don't do anything (and live in the moment) and the dirt in the water will sink all by itself to leave pure water. - And this is why we get worked up. Wanting pure water. No?

20. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

It's official... you're a complete idiot.:rolleyes: