Taiji Vs Judo

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Dan Bian, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlhH0PAsaZI"]Tai Chi Master Wang Zhanhai vs Judo - YouTube[/ame]

Before this kicks off...

I've always thought there were more than a few similarities between Judo and Taiji, so from that point of view, this video is quite an interesting concept.

I do think there may be a level of Chinese national pride at work in the making of this video.

I'd like to hear from our Judo-ka as to whether the [Judo] chap in the clip looks like he knows what he's up to, or if he is a stooge.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

He's not trying. Judo is all about kuzushi and the judoka didn't even try to unbalance his opponent.

3. Doppelganger

Doppelganger New Member

Exactly he was playing the tai chi practitioners game i know this because I have experience in both arts. It's all about Kuzushi in judo and it was not being done in this scenario.

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

In any Chinese wrestling tournament, the Taiji guy would be dis-qualified because he was "not willing to fight - hang on and wait for his opponent to make mistake".

It's better to lose by trying than to win by not trying. The Taiji guy

- wait for the Judo guy's attack,
    - borrows the Judo guy's "front cut" force, and
    - drags him down.

Of course when you play

- offense, you will have to use 1 leg to attack and you will only have 1 leg for rooting.
    - defense, you will have 2 rooting legs which give you better balance.

If both the Taiji guy and the Judo guy keep their training like this, the

- Judo guy will develop good "throwing skill", and
    - Taiji guy will never develop any "throwing skill".

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The Judo guy is better than the video shows, he's just been told to try to muscle the old man around a bit.

6. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Also, there is the typical respect for an older man, etc.

Well, that is what I would do in that case... it is difficult to go full strength against them, even if you know that by not going full strength you might be insulting them.

7. nefariusmdk

nefariusmdk Valued Member

I did like this video. Definitely makes me want to learn more about the "soft" Japanese arts, like jujitsu and judo. I'm actually considering going to BJJ school in the fall/winter.

Lurking around my master's set of books, I did come across Taiji Chin-Na: The Seizing Art of Taijiquan by Yang Jwing-Ming. Great reference of using Tai Chi applications from throws, grabs, and takedowns. Incredibly extensive.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The lack of the gi wouldnt of helped either. Its a nice display of structure too though.

9. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Cool guys :)

I wasn't sure that the Judo guy was putting in effort, so thanks for clarifying.