Tai chi Yang style trad. 108 form [Tut Request]

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by rusilja, Jan 21, 2009.

1. rusilja

rusilja Valued Member

Hello people, I am practising the traditional wudang yang style 108 form, and I would like to have a video sample of it, but I haven't found any !!

Becouse there is a part I am not good at and I would like to see how you *preform* it :)

Thank you!
    God bless you
    peace & love

2. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Hi, I am assuming you mean perform....

I suggest you ask your teacher "how to perform it" although I don't understand the 'performance' aspect, as it has no place in TaiJiQuan.

3. Genkuro

Genkuro Valued Member

I think he just meant by preform, perform,

"i want to see how you lot do the form", thus using the wee stars around the word "perform" to imply it may not be the best word to use. Easy enough to get the drift.

4. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Which part of the form is it you're having trouble with?

5. East Winds

East Winds Valued Member

rusilja,

I practice and teach Traditional Yang Family Taijiquan (from Yang Zhen Ji). I am not exactly sure what you mean by "Traditional Wudang Yang Style 108 form". I can certainly help you if you mean the form as taught by the Yang family today.

Very best wishes

6. rusilja

rusilja Valued Member

The part: moving hands like clouds
    and
    the 3th kick, where you have to kick central, unlike the 2 first kicks, where u turn and kick.

Thanks

7. Dan Bian

I'm guessing were talking about the "second" section of the Yang long form here?

Single whip, hands in clouds, single whip, high pat on horse, seperate feet right, seperate feet left, turn and kick?

What is it specifically that you are having problems with in Cloud Hands and Turn and kick?

8. rusilja

rusilja Valued Member

I think I remember hands in clouds.
    After that comes some kind of budha hand motion right? and with kicks.

After the second kick you need to put the left leg crossed behind the right one, and turn 180°, here is where I don't remember, do I need to hold my hands in budha position, or the crossed fists?
    Then come's the front pushing motion kick, then comes the knee grabbing technique :)

I just don't remember what to do after the 2nd kick, where u cross the legs and turn... :hat:

THank you!
    Peace & love

9. Genkuro

Genkuro Valued Member

I keep gettin told its better to do a handful of the moves in a form correctly as opposed to learn all of it first, so i cant help you my man, I only know the first 7ish sequences!

(Obviously a testament to my godlike TC powers and supreme mind-body connection ;-) )
    (read: my form looks like a dispraczic kid on drugs)

10. Dan Bian

After the second kick, place the toes of the left foot down behind the heel of the right foot. Shift the weight onto the left foot, lowering the heel to the floor and allowing the right foot to turn 180 degrees. When the right foot has turned, shift the weight back to the right, cross hands and stamp kick with the left foot straight ahead.

I'm in the middle of decorating right now, or I'd make a quick video for you.

11. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

You don't have a teacher,do you rus?If you did you wouldn't be asking here how to perform a movement or sequence.

Please get one.You're in your early teens and if you practice TC without someone who can recognize and correct errors you may permanently damage the joints of your lower body,especially the knees.

If you formerly had an instructor who is no longer available find a new one,even if you have to give up your former practice-(which you obviously didn't learn well enough to remember,anyway)-and learn a new system.

Anyway,no one can tell you how to execute a posture or sequence as it is in a given form unless they are familiar,from learning it or seeing it quite a bit,with that particular form.With the variations of hands and feet,I can think of at least 4 ways from different Yang lines to perform the part you asked about,probably more if I pondered a bit.

There is no such thing as WuDang Yang style,somebody just wanted to call it that,I guess.(Although as all the WuDang TC I've seen looks more similar than not to Yang style and is therefore likely a deriviation of Yang style of this century one could make the case that this isn't an incorrect nametag).

12. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

I think you're wrong. I think Chinese martial arts, done properly, has an intrinsic aesthetic to it.

Correct body movement - in terms of the principles of Quan, whether the soft flowing or harder movements - looks beautiful when performed, whether shuai jiao or taiji or wushu or hung gar. It's one of the special, intrinsic qualities of Quan. And I think people often pretend that their ugly martial art is redeemed by secretly being practically useful - when all they show is the ugly performance.

13. Genkuro

Genkuro Valued Member

...in the eye of the beholder....

14. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Jolly good.

I do not disagree that it can look beautiful, but that is not what should be the focus.

15. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Surely the time for false faces has long past. Respect my opinion or not, however, the time for me arguing it out on the internet has also long past as a meaningful way of getting the point across. If you like, come to me and I'll see what I can do to help you improve. In the meantime, the fist lesson to understand is that Quan is different, and the argument you're making is meaningless - the correct body movement doesn't have to be a focus above applicability; the two are integral aspects of the same thing - it's just a quirk of Quan that the right way is beautiful, or rather, an indicator that you are acheiving the right body movement quality in your taiji is the aesthetic of the movement. Right body movement is, of course, only one aspect; but it isn't really taiji without it, because taiji is a movement quality art.

16. rusilja

rusilja Valued Member

Ofcours I do have a teacher, but I see him only 3hours a week, 1 day a week :hat:

17. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

That is probably an average amount of time for most people.

As has already been said here before, there are so many variations in how every movement is done, asking for help here is pointless. You are likely to become more confused.

Your best course of action, as I suggested at the start of this thread, is that you ask your teacher to go through the movement.

Good luck.

18. East Winds

East Winds Valued Member

it's just a quirk of Quan that the right way is beautiful, or rather, an indicator that you are acheiving the right body movement quality in your taiji is the aesthetic of the movement.

OMG!!!!! Agreeing with Fire-quan twice in the same month!!!!!!!!! I really must stop taking the medication!!!!

Very best wishes

19. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

I can't stand it when people take on this air of disdaining people asking genuine questions about Chinese martial arts and get slapped in the face - even if it was a stupid question, which it wasn't, well gee, beginners are exploring new areas of knowledge, so we're bound to ask stupid questions. Actually, the question puts that person closer to real knowledge of Quan than you - I'd like to say 'in my opinion' but that would be false of fact. Surely the time of us having to pretend that people are fighting taiji experts when they really aren't has long past, no matter what it does to their ego.

To the original poster - it is by no means pointless asking for help here - it just depends who you ask. Of all people, those who have set themselves up as teachers need you to believe that your skill comes from teachers. Well, obviously, it comes from you, your practice etc. A good teacher helps you get the most out of your practice.

The best advice on performance is to practice youe basic exercises first to 'catch the feeling' - and, you have to recognise it's very difficult to put a person;s physical feeling in to words, then pass it to another and them get what you mean as a physical feeling.

My own coach would always say, don't fake it all - first of all, learn to relax in your movement, then after time, try to catch the feeling of at first gentle mo jin or resistance - a little like moving your hand across the gentle resistance of silk. Practice basic movements - it's a cumulative type of training, so you need to practice; just, don't sweat the performance - everything falls in to place in time.

In time, like any art, if you train dilligently you start to improve. Trust that in time every thing comes together, and you very naturally have insights in to the next area of improvement - little 'a ha' moments. Taiji is a long term project- for serious practice, you need daily training, but not really under a teacher - alot of basic training you can do byyourself, then have corrected in your weekly session.

Finally - luck has nothing to do with it - make your own luck - or, if you really want it, do the practice, and you'll get it, even if the journey is long.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  20. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I agree..

Just keep practicing, If you would like a visual to help tap up you tube and there are tons of Yang style long form clips up there. you should fairly easily find the sequence you're after. It may be a little different or not - it doesn't *really* matter. If it feels good, do it. If your teacher then corrects it, great, do that.

Sometimes descriptions can help, sometimes they can confuse. But a good visual of how you want to mimick the form externally works pretty well I think. From there you have to begin to make it your movement your own from finding its essence, we all start by following a template, copying our teachers movement.. How it feels is something you can find in your practice of it. Keep doing it and it does get better.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009