Tai Chi vs. Aikido

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Infrazael, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Just a question - how would a Tai Chi master tackle an Aikido master???

Out of the blue and purely curious.

Peace.

2. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

In my opinion:

They would smile, bow, get their coats and go for a drink at the pub, or any other avaliable lincensed establishment.

3. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I'm not talking about that. I'm asking what they would do if they DID get into a fight.

Take out the "they would never fight" part.

4. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

Probably would nt happen they would both be at peace with the world and one with nature. So would go to the pub and discuss the effects of beer and chi.

5. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Will someone please explain what techniques they would use, how they woudl counter each other, etc etc etc. . . .

6. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Ok, you're not getting this.

This is what will happen:

Taiji man will assume which ever fighting position he prefers, ward off, lift up hands etc etc...

Aikido man will do the same.

Then they both wait for the other to make the initial attack. Since both styles rely on the an aggressive opponent, neither will make the first move. They will just stand there, in their stances, letting the hours pass them by; thus wasting time that could have otherwise been spent at the pub.

7. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Tai chi forum: Tai chi guy would win
    Aikido forum: Aikido guy would win

General forum: "Doesn't matter, neither really work on 'da street man"

:D :D

8. noblenicky

noblenicky New Member

Taiji is a balanced art. If your opponent defends, you attack, if your opponent attacks, you take that to your advantage. If you have an upper hand, you press your advantage. Taiji does not rely on aggressive opponents alone.

All accounts from all families have used taiji for fighting, so to say taiji never attacks is not understanding the whole art. Taiji can work on big opponents, but can work even better on smaller/weaker opponents.

How can Chen Fa Ke win any of his challenges if he never attacks? How can Yang Lu Chan win any of his court fights if he never attacks? Obviously they would have met challengers who are more defensive as well, and what would they do in that case? Make the audience wait till the next day before an attack is made?

The sign of true mastery is to be able to do whatever you want to, when you want it. You want to master the art, not a slave of the art. Your intention is the key, not the techniques.

MA does not say:
    "If he does A, you do B. If he does B, you do C."

If this is what you expect, you are better off watching a video game.

This is probably the most logical post in the whole thread

9. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

If the encounter was in the early morning, they might just go for a cup of tea instead of the pub. It would depend on the skills of the individual and how they were trained to use their art. Many practitioners of both arts do not train to use it for actual fighting.

10. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Interesting article regarding Aikido, by B. K. Frantzis.

http://www.energyarts.com/hires/library/masters/ueshiba.html

I think the best way to settle such a debate is to do a MA celebrity death match.. say Morei Ueshiba VS Yang Shao Hou.. I would put my money on Yang Shao Hou, because I'm biased.

11. moononthewater

Tai chi is an attacking art if it needs to be but if the Tai Chi practitioner listens to his opponent and feels he does not want to fight he is likely to go downthe pub. But that should go for any traditional martial art. The fighting part of your art is only the top of the ice berg. As for neither being any good on the street cant talk for the Aikido guys but certainly Tai Chi taught properly will stand up and be counted in a real confrontation.

12. Hidden_Dragon

Hidden_Dragon New Member

Depends on the practisioners. You have more chance of winning the lottery than of seeing a tai chi practisioner and a aikido practisioners fight.

13. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

I think they'd both turn and look at you Noble Nicky, shake their heads, smile, invite you to come down the pub as you long as you buy the first round ;)
    N :Angel:

14. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Excellent answer Mr Nzric - careful, I'm starting to like you....
    N :Angel:

15. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

Aikido can be pretty brutal if it wants to be too. An aikidoka could step in and smash your chin with a palm strike, but the style loses effectiveness this way as Aikido is applied when your opponant is at least slightly off balance (e.g thrown a punch).

As stated before, the base teachings of Aikido is that the universe is in harmony. An attack is out of harmony. Don't go against the power of the universe. :rolleyes:

16. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Aiki jutsu is not all that different looking to taijiquan

17. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Apart from the uniforms and forward rolls :D

18. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Ruptured organs

I think it would depend upon the seriousness of the fight. Aikido strikes me as an art that would be very usefull in barroom scuffles and the like as it seems to specialize in ending a fight without much damage. Almost every move in Taiji, however, is designed to inflict crippling or lethal damage though it can also be used to throw opponents harmlessly away. What's more, the higher the adrenaline gets, the less effective joint locks become. Therefore, I think while an Aikido master might be able to get a drunken Taiji master to settle down, I think a Taiji master would easily win in a fight in which both parties were intent on causing serious damage. Even if the Aikido guy throws the Taiji guy to the ground several times or gets him in a joint lock, all the Taiji guy needs is to land one good hit and the fight is over. Of course, this is assuming you have two fighters who are the living incarnations of their respective styles, which you never have. ;)

19. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

this just might be the most pointless thread i've ever seen.

20. moononthewater

was it a problem from your childhood that caused all this angst every time i see you post something that does not fall into line with your ideas it has to be worthless.