Tai Chi Self Defence

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by TonyMc, Jul 5, 2011.

1. TonyMc

TonyMc Valued Member

My old Ninjitsu instructor told me for many years that Tai Chi if studied right is a very potent martial art. So with that in mind I harboured a yearning to learn about it even though most others said don't touch Tai Chi with a barge pole if I am looking for a martial art.

Well despite the negative advice I went to see a few different classes. I looked at a Wu class and a Yang class and was totally dissapointed. There is a Chen and a Wudang school not too far away but after what I have already seen I am I am feeling reluctant to even bother looking.

Has anyone else ever learned Tai Chi to be a functional martial art, or should I just forget it and find a Wing Chun school?

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I've found Tai Chi to be awesome stuff. But mostly I'm just a beginner when it comes to Tai Chi.

TonyMC, I think based on my experiences, what you might find to your liking is to find a Tai Chi instructor that has put in many years of hard style training before Tai Chi. Almost all the Tai Chi instructors I've had lessons under came from hard style like Muay Thai and Kajukenbo, then they moved more towards Tai Chi.

Since you have martial arts experience, I would suggest you try to find a Tai Chi instructor that has a background in Muay Thai. If you can find someone with ten years Muay Thai and 20 years Tai Chi or more, that would be just awesome.

3. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

As RW suggested, it depends on the teacher. If you tell us where you are, maybe we can find someone you might like.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Tai Chi is an awesome art, however finding yourself a good instructor will not be easy.
    Tai Chi is also a big investment in time before you will see satisfactory results.
    If you are willing to put in the time I say definately give it a go. After 27 years in the martial arts I took up Tai Chi 6 months ago and really had my eyes opened. It is like starting all over again. Balance, relaxation, energy, strength, oh the strength. If you think your legs are strong, give Tai Chi a go.

Those who say don't touch Tai Chi with a barge pole have been subjected to poor instruction and/or demonstration.

Good luck in your search.

5. embra

embra Valued Member

In general Id agree with the sentiments expressed.

However, there are exceptions. Here are some recently posted clips of Niall Keane in teaching mode who has only worked with TCC.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7JSojBhRgM&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪seven stars guard 1.MOV‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTIQBtQh97k&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Kick Counters 1‬‏[/ame]

These examples may or may not be along the lines of what your'e looking for.

A lot depends on who you find to train with. There are a lot of aspects to TCC that don't obviously seem to have martial application - until you find folk willing and capable of training and teaching in a martial way. You also need to keep something of an open mind in discovering whats out there.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

In a nutshell!!

7. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

According to Tim Cartmell you should become proficent in a matter of months.Whilst I don't share his opinion I do have to give it some consideration as he is a very capable fighter and certainly knows his subject.

8. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

I agree 100% when taught properly ..it is a very strong and effective art.

9. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Hi Tony,
    You say you have a Wudang school local to yourself - if you are looking for decent Taiji, I recommend giving Wudang a look - Dan Docherty has a good reputation, and I've met several of the teachers he has qualified and they certainly have the goods.

Where abouts are you located?

10. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi Tony,

I'd hope to be able to take a complete beginner and teach them functional self defence using Tai Chi within six months. That would be (arguably) as good as six months of any other art you care to mention - it's not the art Good, Bad or Indifferent - it's a composite of:
    The student: Their specific needs, abilities, willingness to train, etc.
    The instructor: Their interests (some Tai Chi and Karate and .... whatever art instructors are simply not into combat), their willingness to teach self defence to a new student, etc..
    The application: Tai Chi for self defence 'fine' but what self defence? Playground bullying? Teenage Testosterone Pub Fights? Defending against SAS Ninja assassins? - Some things are possible and some belong to the movies...

Like Dan Bian said - where are you based? I may be able to suggest someone to visit.

11. taichimaster

taichimaster New Member

In fact, the real taichi is not exist in shcool,it is in folk master,to learn the real taichi you you have to get 3 most important points
    1,a real master whom know the tai chi exactly
    2,your savvy for understanding
    3,practice very hard in the right way

told as to my real experience and thinking

Chen

12. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Heh heh, yeah sure. Welcome the chinese propaganda machine.

The Bear.

13. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

... however, to pick up any skill at all you need those three things:
    1. Someone who knows and can convey
    2. Our ability to understand and absorb
    3. Correct practice

Taking the original at face value (i.e. not reading anything more into it), I agree with what was said.
    What is understood as 'correct practice' will vary ... maybe.

Cheers,

14. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

This is a big nutshell

So far, I haven't come across such a teacher who could instruct any type of reasonable, street applicable, defense

As far taking opponents off-balance, any grappling-throwing art can also apply-practice this.

15. Simon

How hard have you looked, how far are you prepeared to travel and have you been in touch with your top Tai Chi Associations?

I would have thought you had more of an understanding. Tai Chi is a totally different feeling and energy to your grappling arts.

16. Osu,

Great question Simon, I am also wondering...
    And, yes, I would have thought too... Know it all forum warriors are full of surprises...

@47MA: Keep looking ;)

Osu!

17. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I knew someone would state that

That is why I stated; "So far" in my opening post. :)

Well, logically, if I am still searching, I do not have a complete understanding :)

18. Simon

SO MM47, how long have you been searching and how hard.

19. Osu Simon,

Cut the man some slack, you've made your point already... he is inoffensive ;)
    :D:D

Osu!

20. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

If they aren't teaching you how to wrestle in your Tai Chi class, go somewhere else. Just don't train Wing Chun, it's the weakest Chinese style.