Tai Chi school in the Los Angeles area?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Greetings!, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Greetings!

Greetings! Valued Member

Greetings everyone,

I do not know if I am allowed to ask the following question, regarding local referrals, here on MAP. Therefore, I guess that I’ll just go ahead and do so.

I have some martial arts experience in a few other martial arts.

Having heard, as well as seen, wonderful things about the beautiful martial art, Tai Chi, I am interested in learning Tai Chi, ultimately, for self defense purposes.

After only briefly exploring around my local area, I only see group classes for Tai Chi at, for instance, my local YMCA, where it appears that the emphasis is mainly on learning forms, with the student doing solo practice along with other students within the group class. I understand the importance of this. That being said, I never see any pairing up between partners to, for instance, work on together with each other various self defense techniques.

Therefore, does anyone know of a Tai Chi club or organization that emphasizes self defense techniques here in Los Angeles, or more specifically, the west Los Angeles area, or better yet, right here in my local neighborhood of Venice/Marina del Rey?

Thank you very much.

The best to all,
    Greetings!

2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Possibly with Chen Bing

3. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Hi Greetings,

I realized this isn't what you asked for (it's not Tai Chi) - but since you are in Marina Del Rey have you considered here : http://inosanto.com/ ? If I lived there I don't know if I could pass up trying classes there no matter what art I practiced. Might be that something they teach there checks off a lot of what you are looking for.

Best of luck to you!

4. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Had a quick google search and these mention training in push hands and martial/health aspects of tai chi.

5. Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio New Member

Learning Tai Chi for self defense... is kind of like studying _______ to prepare you for _______.

Sorry, I was trying to come up with an analogy for something that has little to no bearing on something else. Hmm. This is a tough one. Let me take another shot at it.

Learning Tai Chi for self defense...is kind of like learning the challenging and fun board game Risk in order to prepare for a land war in Russia. In winter.

Well, I tried, but it came out a little tortured.

By all means, practice Tai Chi. Just don't go into it thinking it is an efficient means of learning to defend yourself. It looks fun. Im sure it has a great many benefits. But I don't think martial efficacy is one of them.

6. EmptyHandGuy

Well I guess Steve Rowe would disagree with you then!

I would consider Tai Chi the ultimate skirmish art

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

8. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I agree with him. I particularly like the double helix analogy

EDIT: One thing I should add, I do not think I would call it the "ultimate skirmish art" but I agree with the rest of what was written in the article as it applies to SD.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  9. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Well,ok.

But it's not any worse than than other "TMAs" such as Karate,TKD,,Kenpo,,etc.

At least,based on my experience of mixing it up with shodan on up levels in those systems.

So, I guess since my TC worked so well on them,those systems must really suck,huh?

Due to your own background, you probably agree!

10. EmptyHandGuy

Why is that? As as far as I can see what he is saying is based upon many years of experience of using tai chi in confrontational situations.

11. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Having met Steve, gone to several of his seminars and had a few good chats over cups of tea and cake, I can personally vouch for the level of his tai chi.

One of the most knowledgable and generous martial artists I've met.

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Most effective = quickest and easiest to learn with the least effort.

It's quicker and easier to find a good wrestling/judo/Sambo school than it would be to find a half decent tai chi combative place that actually spars. Hell it would be easier to find a decent aikido school and that's probably saying something.

Also, it does not have any defence against ground fighting which pretty much in my mind negates it as a good skirmish art. (Skirmish to me means anything between shouting at each other and actual warfare)

For the record I love mma but it doesn't deal with weapons at all so therefore wouldn't be a great skirmish art. Kali is much closer to perfect.

I will say though at the end he says basically it comes down to the practitioner of any art and not the art itself.

13. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I wonder if you have any knowledge of genuine tai chi practice, or if you base your comments on your own misconceptions of the art?

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I was poop-canned off Sifu Arnold Tayam a couple of weeks ago....

Combat Taiji may be rare but it does exist and is glorious when you find it

15. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I know of one in Redondo Beach, at about Manhattan Beach Blvd and Aviation Blvd. Dude practices and teaches early in the morning, like 5-8 am.

16. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Exactly. I was all " :eek: " and stopped looking down on TC after I trained a bit with that guy in Redondo Beach.

17. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Nope.

That's a value judgement you're making. It's not logical.

Most effective in the shortest possible time ≠ most effective.

It could, but it doesn't necessarily.

I'm not defending Taiji/Tai Chi, but you are showing a clear bias in what you feel "effective" means.

18. Greetings!

Greetings! Valued Member

Dear Xue Sheng,

I greatly appreciate you informing me of the existence of Chen Bing Tai Chi Academy in Los Angeles. After checking out their website, the place looks awesome!

Dear Guitar Nado,

Thank you for your endorsement of Danny Inosanto's school, which you are correct, is right in my local area. I have briefly visited the school a few times within the last several years, and have always been impressed with their large menu of various types of martial arts classes.

Dear China Hand Guy, I appreciate you providing the link for those Tai Chi classes, as well as the informative post by Steve Rowe regarding the reverence of Tai Chai.

Dan Bian, thank you for vouching for the effectiveness of Steve Rowe.

Hannibal, thank you for the endorsement of Sifu Arnold Tayam.

Aiki Mac, thank you for the lead to a teacher in Redondo Beach.

Now I have lots of great information. I thank all of you very much!

The best to all,
    Greetings!

19. zzj

zzj Valued Member

I would love to hear your reasoning behind that comment.

20. Dub

Dub New Member

I don't know if you've found a place to train as of yet.
    However, The Tungs have a school in your area.

Below is there address and a link to their website.

Tai Chi Chuan Academy
    3030 Westwood Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90034
    (310) 379-5396
    www.tungkaiying.com/

They just off the 10/Santa Monica freeway
    on the corner of National & Westwood Blvd.
    Across from Trader Joe's.

The Tung family has been teaching Taiji for a long time.
    Their grandfather, Tung Ying Cheih, was a senior disciple of Yang Chengfu.

The Tungs are greatly respected in the Taiji community
    And, they teach everything: Forms, Push Hands, Applications, Weapons, etc.

Here's a link to a video of Tung Ying Chieh and his son.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnKtJsfqKbY"]Tung Ying Chieh and Tung Huling Taijiquan - YouTube[/ame]

On a side note, I saw your question when you first posted it.
    I joined this website in order to answer it.

My post never appeared.
    Haven't been here in awhile and thought I try again.