Tai Chi questions from an interested newbie

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by madknight, Oct 17, 2008.

1. madknight

madknight Valued Member

OK well if anyone have noticed me post around about different martial arts there is now another one I'm interested in(it's really annoying that i keep finding new things i want to try :p )

Anyway, this time it's Tai Chi. There are new classes starting up and I'm interested in taking a class. One of the things I'm wondering is if will be of any benefit to my Judo and/or Kickboxing I'm currently taking. I can see how it might be in some ways but I don't know for sure. It seems like the balance aspect of it may do good in Judo in some ways and the leg strength can only be good for kickboxing.

Now I don't expect to be using a strike I learned from Tai Chi in Kickboxing or anything, Tai Chi appeals to me because it's an internal martial art and I'd really like to get into something with forms. It also gives me something to do on a Sunday (it's only one day a week) so if it's not expensive and I enjoy I think I'd like to stick with it perhaps. Just wondering if there will be any bonus' from it that tie into my other MA I'm doing.

2. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

I am all for crosstraining and think that any MA can compliment any other.

My advice, as ever, is go and see what they do!. If it is a decent TJQ school then you can learn much to benefit your other training. Such as, co-ordination of the whole body, rooting, balance, flexability and how to issue power better.

Good luck...if you go, report back please! :)

Note...Internal MA's take years and years to gain the internal aspect, so most IMA's do them as a main MA.

3. madknight

madknight Valued Member

Thanks for your reply. I think I'll go to their first class which is on Sunday and check it out.

The style is Wudang I think and it has some Qi Gong (if I'm messing up the last part of it sorry, I'm trying to work from memory of a poster now lol). I'm going to look more into them I think and see what the style looks like.

Yes, I realize that internal martial arts are a long term commitment, though if they just do it as a martial art I don't think I'll be disappointed. IMA's are still pretty foreign to me so I have to look a bit more into what their all about.

4. BigJohn

BigJohn Valued Member

I see, here you say;
    Kickboxing - One month experience
    Judo - White belt.

well my advice is, ( with some experience in these arts)
    for now, forget about tai chi and concentrate in judoand kickboxing.
    then when you're good at these, forget about tai chi

5. madknight

madknight Valued Member

So what is your reasoning behind what your telling me? Is it just personal preference talking or were you in it for years and found that it was a waste?

6. BigJohn

BigJohn Valued Member

7. madknight

madknight Valued Member

Why should two things be enough if I enjoy and have to time and money for something else? Even if it does nothing for Kickboxing or Judo, doesn't mean I wouldn't get anything out of it.

8. BigJohn

BigJohn Valued Member

Well, one can squander money and time as one pleases.
    (nothing at all wrong with that)
    all i did was respond to a question.
    and being that your a beginners, the answer was spot on.

9. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

madknight, as you are a beginner who is interested in several MA's and are spoilt for choice., my advice (as someone who has done MA's for many years as in my profile) try as many as you can. That way it wll become obvious which one is for you - trust me, you will know. Then you can concentrate on that one, as opposed to spending a few months here and there on different things. That would be a huge waste of your time.

Shop around, take your time and most important of all...enjoy.:)

Carys.

10. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

It won't help your Judo or Kickboxing, but you might find you enjoy it.

11. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Would you care to expand on this?

How will gaining a better understanding of rooting, and whole body power not be of any use in these other two martial arts?

12. madknight

madknight Valued Member

I have no problem with you answering a question, but it's always nice to get a reason behind an opinion.

That's how I view things. I mean just because I've found two things I like, doesn't mean I wont like something else a lot more than one or both of them. So I figure since I have the time and such I don't see why I can check some more things out.

13. BigJohn

BigJohn Valued Member

14. imperialtaichi

imperialtaichi Valued Member

Hello Madknight,

If you are doing something that you enjoy, and is good for you, then why not? Have fun and don't let anyone persuade you otherwise.

In terms of helping your kickboxing and Judo, the short answer is: "Depends".

Apart from improving rooting, subtleness etc.; IF you find the right teacher, Tai Chi can help you understand the connection between your awareness, your subconscious and body control (Shen Yi and Qi), which can help you in virtually any activity that requires good body control.

Plus at high level, you would also understand the connection between the opponents thoughts and actions which give you an edge in terms of stagnating the opponent making him less effective.

To give you some idea, have a read of this:
    http://imperialtaichi.blogspot.com/2008/09/yi-intent.html
    http://imperialtaichi.blogspot.com/2008/10/footnote-on-intent.html

Cheers,
    John

15. BigJohn

BigJohn Valued Member

John, may i ask you a question, being that you a tai chi expert.
    You claim here, that adding on tai chi work, will improve one's judo or thai training, my question to you is; how would you know?
    and can you elaborate.
    and are you also suggesting that, thai boxing or and judo, lack any of those skills you speak of ?

16. madknight

madknight Valued Member

I understand what your saying. I'll be careful to not end up "a knower of all" as you put it.

Thanks for the comment. I read the links, it gives me an idea of what your talking about. How would I know if I've found the right teacher though?

17. RobP

RobP Valued Member

18. BigJohn

BigJohn Valued Member

well, if tai chi wont help, why advice it then?:bang:

19. RobP

RobP Valued Member

I didn't did I?

As for being a beginner - a lot of that work can be built into training from day one

cheers

Rob

20. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

People who do Tai Chi do not have a better understanding of 'rooting' than people who do Judo, nor do they have a better understanding of whole body power than a kickboxer. How arrogant, not to mention ignorant.

Judo is an art that is devoted to uprooting your opponent, and kickboxing is an art that is devoted to achieving maximum power. If he sticks at Judo then he will develop a fantastic grasp of rooting, and if he sticks at kickboxing he will learn how to utilise his entire body to deliver a strike.