tai chi lineage

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by yangtaichi, Sep 21, 2003.

1. yangtaichi

yangtaichi New Member

Just curious to see how far apart we all are from each other.

if you practice tai chi of any type, yang, wu etc, what is your lineage, ie who taught your teacher and then who taught that guy all the way back? ill post mine an a minute, i have to go find it first! ;)

thanks guys

2. yangtaichi

yangtaichi New Member

ok, im only goin back as far as the split from chen to yang

Yang Lu-Chan>
    Yang Jian-Hou>
    Yang Cheng-Fu>
    Hu Yuen-Chou>
    Doc-Fai Wong>
    STEFFAN DE GRAFFENRIED>
    Me

3. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Unfortunatly with Lineages,many people can not truly verify the line they say they where taught from is the exact truth.Outside of China it is largely dependent on word of each teacher.Not that I thought lineage is a great indicator of skill but I agree that it is interesting when you get to know the variations of each style and history.
    I am sure you would know the controversity over Earles YLC and the Chen style problems.Then people get too caught up with proving their legitismicy and not training enough.

4. yangtaichi

yangtaichi New Member

oh geez im not looking to compare how good i am with someone else at all. thats all wrong. I wanted to make a connection with other people that take part in this, just thought it would be neat to say, "your teachers, teachers, teacher is the same as mine"
    And if you dont have documentation im not gonna flame ya, i want conversation not confrontation.
    Im pretty lucky, here in the states I have docu of my lineage through the Plum Blossum, but that doesnt mean im better than anyone else.

ok so any takers? eh? eh?

~
    The moment what we are allowed to say as a result of our freedom to say it is something we dont want to hear, we decide freedom of speech 'aint that great'

5. zun

zun New Member

Erle Montaigue
    Breecher
    Ross & Russell (I have 2 teachers! :))
    Me.

6. yangtaichi

yangtaichi New Member

awesome zun, do you ever get to practice with erle?

wonder why noone is giving a reply much on this thread.

7. zun

zun New Member

He's emigrating to Wales, UK, soon, if he isn't over yet.

June he'll be in London for the weekend and we're hoping, as a class, to drive down to Wales before then.

Really looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, I'm at that stage where my immediate teachers are more than good enough to spot my mistakes! ;p

8. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

The controversial lineage...

Chan San Feng
    Yang Luchan -
    Yang Jian Hou -
    Yang Pan Hou -
    Yang Shao Hao -
    Chang Yiu Chun -
    Liang Shih kan (Wudan Village Leader
    Qi Disruptive Forms)
    Erle Montaigue -> (Moi) <- Keith Brown

Not that I care about lineage or anything... :D

Last edited: Nov 5, 2003
  9. yangtaichi

yangtaichi New Member

neat someone posted back to a family name of the old masters. ... man im a dork!

thanks syd