Tai Chi in the rain

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by whaleshark, Nov 29, 2013.

1. whaleshark

whaleshark New Member

This a short video taken in Guangzhou one rainy day.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzZhZCTXbok"]Video of Taichi in the south of China[/ame]

2. Waldgeist

Waldgeist Men who beg aren't heroes

Tai chi in the rain is a better idea than taekwondo in the rain. I did that once...

3. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

Umm how did that go?

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Looks photogenic- very beautiful, but like a good way to catch a cold.

Colds get in the way of training. I was just out almost a week with one. I don't like missing training days, so I think I will pass on training in the rain. Happy to watch video's of others doing so though!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Huh, upon rewatching it I wonder.

Is he actually practicing in the rain, or is he under some protection with rain in the background? His shirt looks dry to me, it isn't clinging to him like wet clothes do.

Also, at 1:10, I could swear you can see he is on a patch of dry sidewalk and the line where it turns wet.

I also wish that the person filming it had a full body shot. To miss the footwork is missing a lot of what is going on.

6. Waldgeist

Let's just say I quickly transferred from practicing spinning kicks to groundwork.

7. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

ai got it don't practice taekwon do in the rain thanks

8. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

and Aaradia you could be right maybe his doing it under some sort of shade. Umm Spinning kicks by the way how many did you do waldgeist? before umm groundwork.

9. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

It could be I'm only 26 and have no problems wearing shorts & t-shirt in minus conditions, but I've never had problems with my karate in the rain, snow, hail, high winds or anything else actually. As long as you get yourself nice and warm (which I have no issues with :p) and dry off nicely when you get back inside, I don't see much of a problem with it, surely?

You're right, he was standing in a sheltered area. Like you said, it was very photogenic, but he wasn't doing it "in the rain". The face kinda gives it away anyway :)

I did like the form a lot though, very graceful.

10. Waldgeist

I think it's actually a useful training aid, if you take it slowly. At least so you can understand what works and what doesn't under certain situations.

I can't remember. It was a while ago. I do remember being really surprised at finding myself on the ground, that's always a weird feeling.

11. ned

ned Valued Member

12. Niall Keane

Niall Keane New Member

3 years ago i was living in Dublin's south inner city, walking home up past "School Street" Flats, near the Guinness Brewery Gates people may be aware of?

Anyway some junkie lad pulled a syringe on me expecting it to be followed by a charitable donation! I broke his arm and a few of his ribs and told him to "hobble around the corner to James' (Hospital) while you still can ya Adalia bipunctata!", which he did, suppoeting himself at times on the Guinness Brewery wall.

A lad ran out of a nearby office when the junkie had made his way farther up the street and asked me if i was ok, followed by - "that was some Jackie Chan Adalia bipunctata man!" And proceeded to ask me about martial arts and where i teach etc.

It was raining I remember!

Does that count?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  13. embra

embra Valued Member

Yes.

Was it because I spoofed around with some TaiCheese in the rain?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXatLOWjr-k"]Travis - Why Does It Always Rain On Me? (Official Video) - YouTube[/ame]

14. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'whaleshark',

Are you based in Guangzhou or were you just visiting - I ask because I am going to be there (based in Foshan but traveling almost daily to Guangzhou) next year for a few weeks and I'm looking for training opportunities out there...

15. CloudHand

CloudHand New Member

Good exercise!

16. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Pfft, that's not tai chi in the rain!

This is! :p

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKKN21R3f3c"]Tai Chi in the rain - YouTube[/ame]

With regards to the 'health' aspect of practicing in the rain - in my early days of practice, I got colds when training outside in wet weather, but now it doesn't affect me any more.
    It's a mixture of getting used to it, and making sure you take the right precautions, such as waterproof clothes, a scarf to keep the neck warm and stop any rain getting onto your inner clothes, and changing out of wet things as soon as is possible and keeping warm afterwards.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014