Tai Chi Ever FAST?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by DragonDude, Apr 16, 2005.

1. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

Hmmmm not sure about what she is talking about but i think its the other way round every man i know who seems to be in a long term relationship with a woman seems to be drained of energy looks older than he should and seems to develope hearing problems. :rolleyes:

2. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Which is what the Tao of Love was invented to prevent.... lol :rolleyes:

3. moononthewater

I believe that not living with one and trying to get a new one each weekend is a much better therapy ;)

4. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

:eek: Be afraid, be very afraid lol, crazy woman alert lol. :eek:

The only reason the men looks older is because the DON'T LISTEN to good advice from the better sex lol.
    You lot try to steal what's good in a woman and say it's necessary for a man to keep his jing energy until the vital moment when he's ready lol. What sort of men uses this as an age old excuse lol.
    I wonder who's going to admit this in here lol.
    lisa xx

5. moononthewater

Could you please let me know what good bits women have that i would want to steal. Hmmmmmmmmmm their sense of direction maybe or their ability to remember every detail of an arguement you had with them 7 years ago. As for my jing energy at least it never has a headache x

6. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

Been there, done that and definitely worn the tee-shirt, Aggression doesn't work as I've been fighting that area for so many years and I've still not won the battle. This is why I first started doing tia chi in the first place, to get away from all of the external stuff inside and you try and cut it off but it doesn't work. I do have a constant battle with this when ever I practice with a group and it's really differcult to get away from when your used to just going in for the kill every time when your used to the way of fighting as a kick boxer, I still have the instinct and try and fight it whenever I see an internal fighter but I still keep losing on that one.
    I've used the heavy bag, imagining the person I hate the most off all and ended up splitting one as I had too much anger inside and just let rip into it, it can be confirmed if you get in touch with my past teacher lol as he's never let me forget it lol. This is why I'm trying to get away from the external side of training as it's still effecting me in that area and I'm trying to bury that side as I can't handle what might happen within training. I really care about the people who I train with and I don't want to ever make a mistake of hurting someone because of releasing whatever might be inside. I can't afford to let go unless I'm in trust with the people there. I've already said too must, I think it's because I'm drinking a bottle of wine, but so what lol. it's about time lol.
    If you want to get your energies right then you have to get away from the external when your not right within yourself and try and calm down as you need something like tai chi to calm your spirit and help your body to adjust to get you away from the aggression, I know I've been there and I'm still getting sorted out.
    lisa xx

7. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Yep, it's a good way to train. I do the same when I'm running. I pretend someone I care about has been in a car accident, or is getting beaten up/assaulted at the finish line, and I have to get there to save them.

touch wood touch wood touch wood!

8. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Touch wood!

The important part of training in my method, is being able to switch it off. I can easily switch between easy going guy, to "the punisher" in a blink of the eye.

Its the best way to get a high dose of adrenalin, and use it, even if your just playing sport or trying to lift at the gym.

Try it on your 20 reps squat. Picture that your loved one is trapped under the barbell every time you lift up.

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I take the point that training in different ways has its merits.
    But...

hot blood vs ice

the former is too predictable in a fight/confrontation, especially to the guy with ice running through his veins.

If you have to look outside for your strength, you are not looking in the right place.

:Angel:

10. NaughtyKnight

Im not looking outside, my aggression comes from within, from my adrenal glands.

No one can hope to be completly detached from fighting, their is always emotion, all ways fear, always anger. You can try all you want, by you will never shut yourself off.

I have never come across anyone that was completly calm when they fought. Except one actually, he was diagnosed as phosiopathic.

11. moononthewater

As i said before you are having a go at Tai Chi philosophy with out really knowing what you are talking about. Thats not being rude its just a fact that you really need to go and train in the art of Tai Chi to understand where we are coming from i spent over 20 years doing external martial arts so i can understand how you are thinking. But for you to understand what we are saying you need to practise Tai Chi. You cannot judge it unless you try it.

12. NaughtyKnight

How am I judging it?

13. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  14. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Like, dude, don't be so black and white... like, nothings ever just yin or yang man, that's so un-tai chi

15. NaughtyKnight

Im not even talking about Tai Chi anymore, we were talking about Chelsea's victory over the Arsenal. ;)

16. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

I have seen people practice Tai Chi....

..but only at a very slow speed. But heard from one of them that when its used its just one swift motion....

Christian

17. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Ok - lots of childish banter & rubbish deleted. Feel free to carry on the original topic within our Terms of Service.

18. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

This is partially correct imo.
    It depends on the style, practitioner and technique being employed imo.
    Taijiquan consists of both the 'external' (as in visible, physically executed/manifested, mechanical etc. aspect/technique) and the 'internal' (as in unseen, energetic, mentally driven/executed, qi/jing aspect). At the beginning level, Taijiquan is mainly used martially by applying the external aspect as in, for example, using a rollback to apply some kind of wrist or arm lock or using diagonal flying to do a shoulder break, throat strike or throw. (These interpretations are just examples, there are many variants, these are just obvious ones) These techniques are of course applied using the Taijiquan approach of a relaxed body and motion led by the waist and legs to avoid masses of external/muscular effort... so the internal aspect is being developed and used in a particular way at this stage. But they are nevertheless still reliant on physical technique of application and motion of the body, so are at least partially 'external'.
    One of the reasons for slow form practice is to develop the energy aspect - most people's qi is sluggish at the outset and their mind rushes ahead of their intrinsic energy. Slowing them down encourages the mind yi to merge with energy qi first meeting it, then eventually leading and controlling it. When sufficient softness sung has been acheived the body is enabled to move rapidly without resistance, but this is still largely 'external' in nature.
    So Taiji can be an effective martial art at this level without ever going into the deeper levels of qi development. Many successful Taiji martial arts practitioners acheive their goal never moving beyond this stage.
    A further stage is to recognise that each 'external' movement is guiding an 'internal' movement of qi - and to feel that. There comes a point where the outer movement is no longer leading the inner movement - it becomes the inner movement leading the outer movement. (This is one of the health benefits of Taiji practice btw - replacing muscle power with qi power) So the power of movement becomes truly internal, but this is still not the full power.
    The full martial powers (though there are almost certainly levels beyond these that are secret lol) consist of the various 'jings' or internal powers. These are developed in a variety of ways through forms practice, 'push hands', special exercises and training, qigong, neigong, partner exercises, sparring and meditation to name a few methods. The lists of jings I have are quite lengthy so I will start another thread for discussion of them, but the most well-known is Fa Jing (much debate on MAP about what that is lol :) :rolleyes: ) Anyway, these are specific energies that are issued from inside the body to directly influence the opponent internally and/or externally. So, a high level Taiji exponent can cause great effect externally with only a slight motion of his or her body by 'issuing' power (fa jing) internally. This is the true Taiji martial art that people talk about taking decades to develop. People often make the mistake of choosing between an 'external' shortcut to martial power and an 'internal' waiting game to develop jing and many of the arguments here are based on that misconception - there is no reason why one cannot develop the external ability first and continue to develop the internal over long-term practice - but only if the mind is kept open!!
    Anyway, that's more than enough from me - look out for the Jing list coming right up....
    Peace
    N :Angel:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  19. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

:)
    When it come to fast taichi, I very much go along with the above pov.

You practice taiji slowly for a very good reason. The slower you take things- the more you sense/feel what's going on internally (in all respects).
    You would never ever be able to get a taiji form fast like for example a shaolin form early doors.

But I see no reason to not start picking up the pace of form at an early stage - but mindfulness is the key. At early stages it is hard to keep the principles whilst moveing quicker. You can't keep up if you try to go too fast.
    Like all things it gets better with practice. I think the sooner you start this practice the better. It is just another component like say practicing to the other side. When you talk about 'combat taichi'. Going fast cannot be ignored, it may take many to years to 'match' your fast practice to your slow practice if ever. I don't think it is easy to gauge as the 'feelings' you you so much time to sense when going slow are harder to recognise when going at 'fighting speed'. As long as we put the principles first and are
    constantly mindfull of keeping physical and mental song in all areas of practice. This will carry through to your fast practice also. I have found that being more yin in the early stages of fast practice helped keep me looser and relaxed. If you play around with all the various practices your taijiquan will evolve naturally. Good fast form takes a lot longer than good slow form.
    But one way it can be looked at, is that we practice slow, so we can practice/go fast.

I see this simply as another area of play in taiji.
    Going quicker can never replace going slowly. Slow form is the cornerstone of taiji practice - without it there can be no taijiquan. It trains vital areas, as does going fast.

Incidently, I started playing around with going faster, about halfway through learning the old yang form. :)

yeah, the controversial one :eek:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  20. moononthewater

Sorry to keep you waiting KC for an answer to your question a few days ago. How are you judging it?. All of your posts totally opposed the idea of a relaxed mind in a fight which is how Tai Chi works. As you have no real experience in Tai Chi you can never really understand the mind set we use and how we use it in a confrontation. To do so you will have to try it i did various external arts for many years so have tried both sides of the coin. I have found the Tai Chi system works very nicely. Sorry if thats a little quick but been having nightmares with my pc.