tai chi controlling chi energy

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by snewchybewchy, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Yes, good clip, everyone has chi, the trick is how to develop it and use it.

Cheers

2. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

Ok can i clarify something Robinhood?

Do you beleive in chi as a force/energy/spirit etc ?
    Or do you beleive chi is good body use etc?

And Taiji lou...once again you post a whole lot of nonsense, lace it with lies and half truths, then say you dont care when we dispute them. If your previous posts are anything to go by, you are about to say we are all mean and sulk off saying you will never return, like godzilla sadly walking into the oceon, only to come back and menace us in future, like "Taiji lou vs skeptical Rodan 8: this time hes lying about a sparring match"

I liked your posts because they made me laugh that someone like you actually exists, but if you follow the same formula i will get bored.

3. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

In order for chi to flow, a lot of condition need to be in place or right, then it can flow, if you now how to guide it, or control it.

Kind of like lightning needs the conditions right to appear.

But I don't follow the chi as super strength stuff, that is "iron shirt" stuff, I don't follow that use of chi. It is probably more along the lines of alignment of chi, not super strength.
    When I say super strength I mean jump higher, lift more weight etc.

Cheers

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I think I do more reality in a month than you do in a week - I also think you are talking absolute tosh and furthermore cannot prove one iota of what you claim.

I can

Over to you then sunshine - your lineage is....?

5. embra

embra Valued Member

Some of the chi yack in this thread is a load of old bosh, but there are some worthy posts in amongst the debris, as usual.

6. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

This is so true.Around three years ago I had a private lesson with a top combatives instructor in the UK and found him to be more skilled than most internal stylists and that included skill in slow movement as well.His push hands was fast,fluid and connected, and as for his striking,well you wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it.Instead of talking about chi he talked about strength and fitness as he considered these essential to surviving a real fight.I think MMA provides enough evidence to prove that this is true.

Provided the end result is skill and competence it dosen't really matter how you get there.

7. Falcord

Falcord Valued Member

I can get amazing at sprinting by hopping backwards on one leg. But how much effort is it going to take, compared to someone who trains intelligently?

The question is not if interpreting body mechanics as "chi" is a valid route for improvement, but if it is convenient. And the answer seems to be a clear no.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Everyones ideas of what is convenient to them tends to be subjective. What is not as subjective is that when it comes to martial arts, interperatation of a word or words isn't as important in comparison to actual development and sound training methodology.

These thread tend to get silly, because in such discussions it seems folks can easily lose sight of the woods for the trees.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  9. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

didnt really answer my question there.

Energy / force

or body mechanics and good body use. Pick one

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

glad you said it!
    taiji lou and robinhood seem to be on a different understanding than IMA MAP regulars

11. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

you could say "more in depth" :cool:

12. Mangosteen

no, not really. you havent made any clear points so far. just flowery crap

13. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

More like "off the deep end."

14. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

that's how it feels when we throw our weight around, huh?

15. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

No, that's what chi feels like.

16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Is it really possible to gain a more 'in depth' understanding of something by watching a dvd for a few months, rather than by actually spending years practising and learning? Or does that only work for you, Lou? :rolleyes:

17. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

" In the 1990s, several Chinese athletes virtually came out of nowhere to produce spectacular performances. More than 30 swimmers failed tests at international competitions. A Chinese swimmer headed to the 1998 world championships was caught with 13 vials of human growth hormone, a banned drug for which there will be widespread testing for the first time at these Games.

About the same time, a group of female runners coached by Ma Junren raised eyebrows. Ma said he fed his runners turtle soup and caterpillar fungus to increase their endurance, resulting in startling, world-record performances. But in 2000, six of his runners were kicked off the team for the Sydney Games because blood tests indicated they were using the blood-boosting hormone EPO. A test for that drug made its debut at those Olympics."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/04/sports/olympics/04drugs.html?pagewanted=all

I would argue that if anabolic steroids had been available a hundred years ago then top Chinese martial artists would have been using them and would not have bothered practicing chi kung.These guys were bodyguards and security personnel and were simply looking for something to give them an advantage over the opposition.Steroids and HGH would have been an ideal way of getting quick and effective results.

18. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Thats why this stuff is not learned through words alone, you need direct contact with words to learn this stuff, and a lot of time.

I read this stuff many times while doing external arts, I passed right over it, it didn't mean anything to me then, because I had no direct exposure to it.

After I was exposed to it, I reread the books, and it was all right there , but I could not see at the time because it didn't make sense to me then, so what I am saying is you need to have hands on experience to help you see it.

Not a video.

Cheers

19. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

It's possible that people actually do understand the skills in question but that they simply came to a different conclusion, you know.

It's a little telling that certain people cannot break down what they supposedly understand into comprehensible english but whenever people don't take them seriously those certain people always claim to simply be way over everyone else's heads.

Pro-tip: Those who actually understand something know what makes it tick, from the ground up, and can explain it from the ground up.

I know plenty of Sambo tricks with which I could easily convince someone I have some special esoteric powers, assuming those people actually want to believe in such. They'd react to questioning and skepticism in exactly the same way some on here are, as if they had some secret knowledge or understanding. The truth would still be that it's all simple, purely physical mechanics.

I don't know if Lou is trolling or just gullible to the point of being cringeworthy but he regularly posts nonsense and makes a point to avoid mentioning specifics because when the discussion comes down to facts and concrete assertions instead of interpretations and vauge ideas, almost everything he says turns out to be a fantasy. He's one of hundreds to pass through this site doing the same thing.
    This sort of attitude is one of the big reasons people are skeptical of what you say too, Robinhood. You say a lot, but when the conversation starts to turn towards discussion of the facts, you divert by saying people simply don't understand and that for some reason these things can't be discussed verbally. I tell you, a person does not understand something he cannot articulate.

20. Mangosteen

wait. so you consider chi not to be good mechanics, not the manipulations of someones bodyweight through good mechanics or your own movement (the manifestation of kinetic and chemical energy through muscle cells) but some other energy that flows through your body "like lightning" that you can strike your opponent with?

Basically - answer robin101's question:
    and yes yes, i know, you've said "you need a good teacher to understand but you cant get a good teacher unless you understand it" - cyclic and paradoxical
    if you cant explain a concept with clear words and diagrams, a concept is useless. we're not asking for the entire art, just to understand YOUR interpretation of chi that you keep yacking on about.

Putrid and others have given some nice understanding but i hear nothing clear from you other than metaphors.

unless your interpretation of Chi is a metaphor for poppycock and confusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.