Tai Chi both sides?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by franksv, Feb 26, 2006.

1. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

sweet!

2. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi All,

I'm glad but my students will be less glad as I realise that it's at least two years since we practiced the form in the opposite direction... <EVIL GRIN>

Tomorrow night if you are in the Luton area listen out for the groans and screams - and that will be my senior students :) :) :)

<btw> Beginners don't mind nearly as much - less unlearning to do I guess.

All the best.

treboR (Robert reversed geddit....<SIGH>)

3. sparrow

sparrow Chirp!

Hey, great idea, Rob - that would make me worraps!!!

4. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi All,

Did it (reverse side) but it wasn't too horrible as we only had eight people turn up for training (including three of my senior students) - So it was only three that I could traumatise...

Actually we did pretty well considering that it's a couple of years since we last reversed the form and got through it (This is the 24 Peking form) with only a couple of stops - Did first kick and then we all turned the 'wrong' way (or is that the right way) for the second... And got confused again after first Golden Rooster stands On One Leg (Or whatever it's called - it's half past midnight and I'm sleepy...)

All the best.

Robert.

5. wonk

wonk Valued Member

One yang style teacher I knew had a thought-out progression of how long one might (should?) practice the long form, one way (3 or so years), and then the other (an additional 1-2 years, I think), to have a "balanced" practice
    . (I may not recall the number of years correctly, it's been some years since I saw the man regularly.) However many years it was for either side, he did suggest practice on the other side.

6. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

The more you do it the easier it becomes. Get through a shorter form then you will get through the longer forms much quicker. You brain just starts to click. Although remembering if you are doing it left or right can be difficult sometimes, quite a few times I have started on the right hand side and finished on the left, must have switched somewhere in there! Guess that just takes practise to!

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

that always brings me a gentle smile :)

It so does :) :)

regards oeg

PS
    And for our next trick we have upside down form, dogs need very special trainers for this. And no you won't find them at your local JJB

Way to exclusive for that. .. ..:D ..

Mind the gaps!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  8. wuchi

wuchi New Member

introduction to my tai ji was peking 24 yang form and after learning it we did the reverse and without repetition(you do every figure just once, patting horse once, crane, knee, lute...)and i've found after first couple of times of total disorientation that i do it more easily, more relaxed...and i've tried it now on my new form and it is easier...like there is an absence of some burden... more relaxed...

9. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

i know what you mean, when i first tried it left i thought how impossible it was going to be, but before i knew it i was at 4 corners and it felt good..
    its just about establishing some good ol' biomechanical connections :D

10. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

I agree also. Whenever I practise to the left I am more relaxed and feel a freedom in my movements that I struggle with to the right. :D

11. sparrow

sparrow Chirp!

Just as a matter of interest - do those of you who find it easier other way round right or left handed?

12. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

that might be interesting sparrow..

my experience was that i found some postures felt more comfortable 'the other way'. this in turn fed the 'right' side for me. Others felt uncomfortable & that helped too.

I'm guessing this might apply to all.

But the question you raise from my point of view is that I am right handed. but this is countered for me by being left footed. I'm not really sure the bearing this has :confused:

13. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Although I am fairly ambidextrious, I am naturally right handed. :D

Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  14. sparrow

sparrow Chirp!

Geo - ha, I am left handed and right footed!! Soul mates or what.. :p
    Being left handed I was awkward as a child, and never very sporty. I find new routines initially difficult, but not as much as before, now that I have the physical 'vocabulary' of Taiji. I'm sure that it has helped my coordination and general movement skills.
    When learning new push hand patterns we all find it easier or more natural with left foot back (I think, not having a partner to hand) whether we are left or right handed.

15. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Did the long form left-handed this afternoon...
    I find it balances my emotions nicely.
    Tomorrow I'm going to a session with Alex Kozma, so I thought I'd just do my form as it is now to compare it after tomorrow (in case I don't have time to practice tomorrow morning... :) ). I usually do this before training in anything new or with a different instructor....
    Peace
    :Angel:

16. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

ha, ha! cross-connected, I'm sure we are.. :)

interesting.. from boxing, it's quite common for left handed guys to be southpaws.. feel more comfy in right stance. I feel ok both sides to be sure..

Our school has an interesting take on this - people are encouraged to adopt opposite stance in apps and sparring to get more comfy both sides. After a while its up to you really.

As for push hands - it does feel more natural at the moment with right stance - It may be though, that I've done it much more that way - or not :confused:
    Our school uses it mostly for sensitivety training .. non-confrontational.

I think it will always be a bit different 'feeling' - I think the 'comfiness' comes with practice. can't say though better/worse about it.

yea.. it's probably just the taiji working - feel a lot more balanced overall (most of the time) :)

Kind regards

17. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

it occured to me to mention.. if you're going to work self defence applications and the like- to do some or graduate to 'the stance of no stance' tm

great for the pub.. maybe square on hands relaxed by your sides or
    just pretend your'e supping that pint hey VR - easy peasy! :p

stances n guards an all this is all very well.. there are lots of ways..of course.

good to know some different ones and mix n match for suits and aims.