TAGB Executive Divisions

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by tkdally, Jul 4, 2006.

1. tkdally

tkdally Values sillyness in life

I am posting here on behalf of a friend. She is a 34 year old red belt. She is a great student who has achieved a lot in her short (3 year) TKD career. Sparring is her passion and has won many local, national and international titles. She is a regular fixture at squad training and can't seem to get enough of it.

Her birthday is in February where upon she will become the ripe old age of 35 (I can get away with that cos she know's I don't mean it). Of course, if she wants to continue competing at the level she is now, at many competitions she will be put in the executive division (although a man doesn't go into exec until 40). She had a chat with her instructor and asked if she could continue in the adult division even though she would be 35 and he said it wasn't possible.

She really wants to continue in the adult division as she feels that by no means is she unable to from a skill/fitness/health point of view. She will be taking part in the Worlds next year and wants to do so as an adult not an executive.

She'd be grateful for your views on this:

1) What are your opinions of women being classed as executive at 35 and men at 40?

2) Do you happen to know of any medical/physical reason why this is so?

3) Do you believe women should/should not have the choice to compete in the Ladies division when they are over 35, why?

Cheers

2. tkdally

tkdally Values sillyness in life

TKDAlly's Views

My personal views are this:

1) An executive division is a good idea for those who want it but the age limit should be the same for both men and women. There have been a lot of legal judgements that have ruled that such discrimination is unlawful in the workplace so why should it be permitted in other areas of life?

2) I can't think of any specific health problems that mean women should be singled out at 35 compared to men at 40 (aside from health issues related to particular individuals which can occur at any age e.g. a teenager with a bad knee, a 39 year old man with broken ribs, a pregnant 25 year old woman). Indeed men generally have health issues at an earlier age than women. I would hazard a guess that the age limits were determined back in the 80s when the TAGB was set up and that at that time no one thought anything of discriminating against women.

3) Absolutely the choice should be up to the individual - only they know their limits, their skill and fitness, and these things are not determined solely by age.

3. tkd_master

tkd_master Human Punchbag

I agree, it should be up to the competitor with the instructor's permission also (they should vouche for the person in case they are injured or something).

4. sue1

sue1 Valued Member

Surely it cannot be on health and safety grounds as at the inter club held in Hemel soon there is no executive/veterans - all adults fight together in three divisions,yellow/green, blue/red and all black belts. Although I am not very good at sparring I may have entered if there were a separate division for us more mature yellow belts (I am old enough to qualify for this division whether judged by male or female criteria) but I did not want to fight women less than half my age.

5. HwaRang

HwaRang Just don't call me flower

huh? that doesnt make sense - women live longer than men so whay are they executive earlier?

6. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

I think they should have an executive catagory and its a choice thing so if you want to stay in adults you can and if you want to be in executive you can.

7. Gould

Gould Valued Member

As far as i'm aware she'll still have the change to compete in the "Normal" divisions but she'll also have the option of the exec division if she so wishes.

It'll be down to the individual as to what division and type of contest she is after.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Anyone who saw Mr Parchment compete in the Executive division at the English (? I think? Last one in Coventry?) knows it's no easy ride.

It's just the same as the normal divisions, only the people there know a lot more...

Mitch

9. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

I thought it was point stop?

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

To be fair, yes it is, as are some comps, but obviously not all.

The problem with it is that people like Mr Parchment don't stop getting points! :D

Mitch

11. Gould

Gould Valued Member

Totally agree Mitch, they all seem to know there way around the ring!!. Good to watch though :D