TAGB British Championships

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Jamesy, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Oooo, my bad. I just assumed because I've never actually seen a fight end early for this reason, it always seems to go for the allotted time. Then again, I've also never seen anyone get to 10 points either, lol. Sorry peeps. :eek:

2. jedi_eowyn

jedi_eowyn Valued Member

mmm i wouldnt worry about that too much if i were you
    omg im so nervous im really unfit so im goin to die and im afraid of geting disqualifed for excessive contact becuse i have a lot of power and dont know how much to use so ill probably go really lightly and not score and then get a knock out

3. gould2

gould2 Valued Member

kids start at 9:30am and the cadets and adults start at 1pm.
    There will be a big screen showing what ring the division is fought on, if its like the other tournaments you'll have Mr Sergiew or Mr Donnolly hogging the mike announcing when the division are ready for the weigh-in

4. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

so anyone can be bothered to make a list of who is going?

cavallin
    ruskie77
    xue fang
    jedi eowyn
    jules grant
    another tkd guy
    jamesy
    gould
    gould2
    richt_uk
    mitch umpiring
    KJ umpiring
    dragon2020? not sure :S

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  5. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

I was but I was hoping someone else would do it :D

6. Another Muay Thai Guy

Oooo, quite a few of us then, should be good fun. Hopefully will get a chance for a chat with some of you this time if I manage to find you amongst the 1000 odd other competitors. :p

7. gould2

gould2 Valued Member

Me and Gould will be easy to spot, we're the two umpires who look the same.

Good luck to all those competing

8. KJ.

KJ. New Member

Hey this is MEEEEE! So if you see me umpireing i don't bite! :D lol !

GOOD LUCK EVERY ONE!

Attached Files:

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Wear a red carnation, I'll have a rolled up newspaper under my arm, we'll meet at the top table ;)

Mitch

My pics here earlier somewhere I think, but that's me in the avatar obv.

10. jedi_eowyn

jedi_eowyn Valued Member

eek im so scared i have a bad feeling im goin to be absolutly thrashed in sparring and mix up my patterns

11. KJ.

KJ. New Member

Hey i doubt i can walkin in with a carnation i think it would be a bit weird...lol
    I didn't find things overly busy last year so maybe we'll see everyone somewhere...oh Where is your picture?
    Mine come out a little big but couldn't be bothered to load my PhotoShop to change the size...lol...everyone will have to put up with my mug :eek:
    lol

12. KJ.

KJ. New Member

HEY there !
    Don't worry ..most people that are there to compete will be feeling just the same .... (no matter What thy say..if they say they aren't nervous then they are being Very confident and sometimes being over confident can be worse)
    Hey you are only just starting in the world of Tae Kwon-do so take it in your stride..enjoy it..Make new friends ..talk to people in your category as you may meet them again..its fun like that..This is the time you really get the Spirt of Tae kwon do running in Eeryone in the room...Buzz off it!
    You Can Do it! Learn from every thing you do on sunday and just take what youve leant away and work on it ...whaether it good or bad ..use your experiance...AND KICK SOME BUTT!
    Best of Luck..Enjoy it! See ya Sunday!
    ;)

13. jedi_eowyn

jedi_eowyn Valued Member

aww thanks for the support i suppose its only my first real comp because the irish champs were crap because there was no one there

14. KJ.

KJ. New Member

Hey heres a little tip!
    When you go in to a comp you may feel scared.
    When you come out the comp you will always take something Away from that other person no matter if you have won or not!
    In a lesson you should be putting 100% in and if you don't only YOU can change it. You will (should) ALWAYS leave a lesson being a little bit wiser than when you entered the Dojang (should always learn something) So make sure you enter that comp feeling that you will be taking something away from it (NOT REFERING TO THE MEDALS) that your competetor has tought you with out even realising!
    Its the fastest amount of knowledge you will intake in personal experiance in Tae Kwondo-all off 3minates.lol. Make sure all of you shots are clear as the judges do NOT like brawls and if the other person gets roudy at all don't take it personally as you are both fighting for the same coase.
    Don't look at the person and feel intimedated as that is the one that gets alot of competetors so id surjest the only time you look at your fellow grades is when they fight b4 you. NNotice if they do a certain move lots of times , repeating a move is predictable..(try and avoid it)...notice if they are a hands or leg person , see if they are left legged or right legged , (left legged fighters tend to be slightly orquard to spar against unless you have some in your club you are used to. These are all things you can suss out B4 you enter the ring...haveing a little bit of game plan never hurts...Its all timing and how YOU control the fight.
    ohhh i could talk for the British let alone umpire it!
    lol I wish i ws doing it...im a Patterns person but enjoy sparring. Im hopeing to start up my own club in Jan if every thing is ok,
    hope this helps
    :eek:

15. Xue Fang

Xue Fang Bluebelt

Well, a final note from me to say good luck to everyone who's competing tomorrow! Hopefully I'll see some of you there! Certainly come and say hi to me if you want. Final reminder - I'm competing under B, Martin from the Rickmansworth and Northwood schools, led by Sabum Justin Kirman 4th Dan and Sabum Tim Brooks 3rd Dan, and I'm greenbelt heavyweight cadet (female, lest anyone had forgotten :rolleyes: ) and I'll probably be the only one with a Union Jack mouthguard.

Jedi Eowyn - catch you there. I have the strangest feeling that you and I are going to come up against each other. Well, we are in the same group and all. I'm really nervosu too. My first ever competition and I'm also really unfit too and I'm absolutely convinced I'm gonna be slaughtered. Wow, you sound like one of those really professional aggressive types. I hope I don't get KOed by you!

Cavallin & Jules - Hopefully see you guys there too! I definitely want to get some tips from you Michele before I go in. I'm aiming to be there sometime after eleven, so you'll probably be around way before me.

GOOD LUCK to everyone and stop worrying and just enjoy it!

16. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

If you think like that you proberly will get slaughtered so think positive!

17. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

Me

Attached Files:

18. Xue Fang

Xue Fang Bluebelt

Righty ho. Let's have it then! Everyone's British Champs experiences. I'll go first.

Everyone who bombed out, stick up your hand. *sticks up own hand* :eek: :D :rolleyes:

*sheepish mode* Yeah. Pretty much went out in my first round. Okay. I did go out in my first round. Came as something of a surprise though.I got in the first shots – a body kick, scoring me two points - and at the start I was ahead by quite a lot. My opponent was good, but kinda rough round the edges, more a brute force competitor than a tactics and finesse fighter. She got a couple of punches in worth one point each, but I still think I was ahead and they didn’t really hurt that much.

And then she punched me right on the nose, which bloody hurt. S'okay folks. I didn't have a broken nose and it didn't start bleeding and it's pretty much all fine so. Kinda tingles still but no permanent damage. But the weird thing after that was, I did a beautiful side kick to the body and she actually fell over flat onto her back. I was quite worried that I'd actually rather badly hurt her, but at the same time it was in the back of my mind that with all the points I'd been doing, and with this latest, ah, move which seemed to show myself as the superior, that victory pretty much had to be mine.

So. The bell went and the umpire guy informed us that it was a draw and we both had to go for a next-point-wins it situation. *winces* Bad situation if you ask me. I didn't like it anyway, having all that significance placed on this one little point that had to be scored. Well, in a mad few seconds, I got in a side kick, and a punch to the head, then she punched me to the head and then the guys broke us apart, and she was given the point and announced the winner.

I don’t know what happened. Professionally, I don’t argue with the judgements of the officials. Perhaps, because my blows didn’t have that much power behind them, and her final punch was a lot stronger, the umpires didn’t see mine definitively without a doubt connecting (though I myself would say they did, because I felt them do so). I thought I'd got it, but I don't dispute the result, I mean, it was all pretty fast and a mad few seconds of flying at each other and trying to get in a shot, so it could well have been her.

Anyways, I needed the experience and got some so, good for me. Every fight is a lesson, right? I can definitely pick up on some stuff I could improve upon and have figured out what I need to work on between now and my next competition. Meh. *shrugs* In the end, she wanted it more. She told me that she just knew this was what she wanted, she wanted to do this, to fight. That was her drive, a real passion for the event. I was fighting for Sabum and school mainly, and I guess desire for honour can't compete with a real enthusiasm for the thing itself.

19. Another Muay Thai Guy

Congrats Xue, sounds like a successful introduction to comps for you. I tried to find you when your group was called (yellow/green cadet female heavy?), but couldn't see any union jack mouthguard, so I gave up lol. :)

OK, so my experience. After getting there at 1pm, I had to sit around until 6:30pm before my group was even called which was rather irksome. I found cavallin though and managed to see her fight for about 30 seconds before I had to weigh in. Then I won my first fight, all fine. Also won my second fight, all fine. Third fight was the semi-final, and I got pulled for excessive contact for giving the guy a bloody nose, fair enough. From then I was on the back foot a bit really because I didn't want to risk hurting him again and get disqualified. I lost that fight by 1 point according to one of the corner judges, grrrr. Ah well, I got third place and the guy who beat me went on to win, so I'm happy. :) Just need to refine my technique a bit now.

20. julesgrant22

julesgrant22 New Member

Hey Guys and Girls,

Just dropped by really cos I stopped using this site due to an arguement with my instructor over it......Long story.

I got there reasonably early and I was totally overwhelmed by the experience. I think I tried to run before I could walk. I was at the venue 20 minutes before I started crying. I didnt think I could do it at all.

My instructor had to be called at 12 cos I still hadnt settled down and he came straight off the Ring area to me. He knew exactly what to say and the tears stopped and he even got me smiling. Mr Dipper is a star. Running down the motorway seemed a yucky thought then.

I did my pattern perfect and was pretty pleased especially as I found out Mr Dipper was watching me. I got average scores which was okay.

What happened after me was shocking - I noticed the judges not even watching anyone - one guy was sat watching the kids behind me and then his face was a picture when he realised he hadnt seen the pattern and then had to score.

Not too bothered cos I got Grading on the 8th and the South West is up in February I believe - Im even going to fight in that!

Hope everyone had a good time and see you all at the next competition.