Taeykkyeon Video

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by mdgee, Sep 11, 2014.

1. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Looks fun but I doubt it's a style I would study. How about you?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-X5AVw3Ksw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-X5AVw3Ksw[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I'm always sceptical of claims that a style has existed in secret for countless years without any supporting evidence, so taekkyon has flashed up numerous warnings for me in the past. The fact that the opening of this video has knife defences which rely solely on kicking and blocking with the legs is another red flag, as that's just madness to attempt.

The sparring looks fun, somewhat resembling capoeira (but less fun than capoeira!), but not really anything like a real fight at all.

3. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Aegis, I think you and I think the same. Also, if I'm in a life or death situation I'm not going to dance around to protect myself. My attackers may laugh themselves to death, right?

4. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

I don't know about anyone else but Taekkyon reminds me of the famous, dance scene from Kung Fu Hustle. Watch and tell me if you don't agree?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOW5hcbnxzk"]Axe Gang Dance Scene From Stephen Chow's "Kung Fu Hustle" - YouTube[/ame]

5. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Hmm...Doesn't really remind me of that scene at all. It does, as Aegis states above, seem rather reminiscent of capoeira. As a capoeirista myself, it also seems quite different in a lot of ways, too. As to your original question, I don't think I would train in it but I would love to have a friendly spar with a Taekkyon practitioner.

6. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Not so much. It reminds me a bit more of the end of this clip from Stephen Chow's Judo.

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cPVuAPiBPg"]Judo by Stephen Chow--逃學å¨é¾2之柔é“å ‚ - YouTube[/ame]

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Oh I can think of plenty more....

Can't say it looks like something that would even slightly interest me. Looks like a cross between purring and saturday night fever

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So two thoughts:

1) When I've read about taekyon in the past, it's been described as a game more than a fighting art. Tag with the feet essentially. Which is consistent with the idea of not hurting your opponent. It's a cultural artifact tied to this common idea that touching someone with your feet is a sign of disrespect (playful disrespect in the case of taekyon).

2) These guys did themselves no favours with the ridiculous tough-guy posturing at the beginning of the video. "You'll be fighting each other." <Dramatically dons sunglasses> Ugh. Practices like this would get a lot more respect if they just stuck to what they were really about. It's a cultural practice, and as such holds inherent value. But acting as though it's the ultimate martial art is a disservice to everyone involved.

I don't get the basic logic behind it, apart from anything else. Is the idea to not hurt your opponent for long enough that he gets embarrassed and departs the scene?

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CgC1G92vms"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CgC1G92vms[/ame]

10. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

It looks like good fun, but I wonder how the training would work if you aren't naturally flexible.

In arts like karate and taekwondo, if you're not flexible, you at least have other options. Seems not so much to be the case in taekkyon.

11. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

There are some aspects of your first point that apply to capoeira as well. As to your final question, I have no idea of the point in Taekkyon, of course, but in the game of capoeira there are two generally recognized 'goals':

1. Put the other player on the ground via headbutt, kick or sweep (it is generally seen as really good if one does it via a well placed and timed sweep).

2. Outplay the other person (generally understood as being able to land blows or even just 'mark' the player, being able to maneuver freely--including 'acrobatic', agile movements--while restricting the other player's space and and ability to move or otherwise outclass the other player). This goal particularly works because capoeira as a game is played before spectators (I don't know if Taekkyon is played that way).

If either of the above happens, then someone can have been considered to have achieved their goal in the game, though no one really ever talks about games of capoeira in terms of who 'won' or 'lost'. Though I understood this early on in my training, this is one of the things that I sometimes find difficult to get across to people who have dropped in on a class or have just asked me about it die to a casual interest. Perhaps there is some sort of analogue in Taekkyon?

12. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I watched a bit of the video - looked pretty good.

"Video Toughness" aside though, I remember running across Taekkyeon a few times while I was in Korea. The impression I got from the ads and practitioners was pretty mellow... more of a cool exercise/fun sport/Korea tradition. I never heard of Taekkyeon being advertised as a 'hard core self defense art' or even a hard core sport... more just as a foot tag sport and fun thing to do.

Granted, you still get the die-hard Korean stylists who want to ascribe every type of kicking to 1000's year old Taekkyeon secret kicking styles... especially Taekwondo and Hapkido (kicking). To my eyes, the fundamentals are very different and to my research, the kicks came from elsewhere. I'm, on the fence about how much "actual" Taekkyeon has survived, but I guess there were a few instructors who made it through the Japanese Occupation.

13. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Does look like it could be fun. I only train these days for the enjoyment these days (hence taking up capoiera) and since Im not interested in sport TKD, this could be a good alternative. Shame theres none about in my area of england but ya know haha