Taegeuk

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Artikon, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

What does the group think/know about the Taegeuk theories/philosophies?

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

New one on me Artikon, can you link us to any sites so we can take a look?

3. Artikon

Taegeuk (for those who practice Kukkiwon/WTF TKD) is a set of forms for color belts. Alot of the philosophy however behind it is based on chinese philosophy as in the "I Ching"
    The Taegeuk is a set of eight trigrams, represented by three solid or broken lines representing everything between heaven and earth. Look on the South Korean flag and you'll see 4 of those representations.

It's said that there is no begining or ending in Taegeuk and that it just is. If you actually draw out the taegeuk around a compass (each trigram has a representation on the compass) what you get is the Ying and Yang symbol. I forget the Korean terminology at the moment.

I'm asking this question because I'm doing a little research for a paper I'm writing . . . right now I'm only scratching the surface which is basically all I know right now . . . but the ideas pertaining to the taegeuk I find are fascinating.

Cheers

4. Jim

Jim New Member

I think I know what you're refering to. I know it as Pa'kua.

5. Artikon

Could you elaborate on what you know about Pa'kua then please Jim . . . Thx

Cheers

6. Artikon

Found something

Here, I just stumbled on this that may give you more of an idea what I'm asking about.

[​IMG]

Sorry it's small, but that's kinda what I'm getting at. . . however that is a bad representation because it's actually drawn out wrong. Which is actually fairly common and I'm not sure why yet.