Tae Kwon Do any Good on the Street

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by Jackie Li, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Osu

Osu New Member

First of all, your arguments for why it would work are mainly about things you learned that are not basically TKD. If you start to punch to the head, use low-kicks, kick with the shin etc. etc. etc. then you're not using your TKD IMO. I'm not saying you can't pull that of, but the question was will TKD work, not: can you think of something else to do that would work. As for the punches to the head: ok, maybe some practice that but still I don't believe that it's common in TKD. As for the impact, still don't believe that you train for hard impact.

Secondly, I do practice karate yes, but my point was not that karate would work and TKD doesn't. If someone would ask: Would karate work on the street? I can keep a similar story, but that's not the question now.

2. Mort

Mort New Member

It might not be competition TKD, but that doesn't mean it's not TKD. Punching to the head and low kicks are just as much TKD techniques as kicking people in the head, it's just we don't use them in tournaments. I'm taught them in my school as part of the TKD syllabus, and I'd use them if needed - just not in a competition, which is where most people see TKD in use.

3. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Osu, the trouble here is you are speaking on a subject which it's obvious you really haven't done your research on. Just because you BELIEVE something to be true doesn't mean to say it is true. I advise you to search this forum and get some background on the different ways TKD is trained before you go wading in with both feet,

Here's a good starting place,

WTF vs ITF - TKD

Secondly, please don't just bring up claims from other people elswhere. Let's deal with what we are discussing right here and now and leave ridiculous claims to the wayside.

This a hint for everybody who's thinking about losing the plot on this thread BTW

Keep the heid!

Cheers

Tosh

4. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

A friend of a friend of mine, once told me that a friend of his told him, that he read somewhere that TKD guys had their arms glued to their sides.

Is this true, and if not, can you prove it!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2004
  5. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

TKD'ist find Arms Unstuck shocker!!!

Only unstuck mine last year, some bugger had sown my dobok up! :D

Attached Files:

6. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Dang, you caught my edit. :D

7. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

"The circle is now complete"

Mwahahahahahahahaha :D

8. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

we punch anywheres on the head in our tkd tournaments. The karate I take does not punch to the head even during their sparring (not kenpo karate I always refer to it as kenpo). This means dozens of other tkd schools do it as well. This is non-sport itf but we have touraments once in awhile and get invited to them. This isn't the wild wtf sport tkd. I never jump kick in sparring only in drills and I do find it fun. I use kicks under the belt when sparring outside of tkd and karate. The highest I really kick is to the ribs. In my tkd class sometimes I will kick to the head for fun.

9. Spike!

Spike! New Member

Just so you guys know Bruce Lee got beat too. No matter how good someone is there are always people out there that can beat you. Bruce Lee wasnt born the best. He made up his own style after learning one. That right there goes to show you that no art is the best no matter how good. The best muay thai fighter in the world could have his Ass handed to him by the best TKD artist. You never know. Alot of things influence a fight.

Rob

10. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

Yeah, It's like the saying "You win some, You lose some, but you live to fight another day".

11. ToRNaDo LorD

ToRNaDo LorD New Member

I think Tae Kwon Do would be good on the street.
    But I think it allso depends on the person, and how the intsructors teaches you.

12. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

1. Attacker rushes TKD'ist from about 8 feet in middle of day in busy city, throws 'haymaker' punch. TKD'ist roles with punch getting blackeye and counters with basic 1 - 2 punch combo. Attacker on floor lights out.

2. Joe Public is punched in pub and goes down. TKDist mate steps in to defend friend. Attacker swings with pint glass. TKD'ist blocks arm, and counterattacks with straight punch.

3. TKD'ist attacked in street by drunk/drug addict. Trips attacker etc then walks away. Attacker gets back up and runs after TKD'ist with syringe in hand. TKD'ist uses jumping back kick and knocks attacker out.

4. TKD'ist gets attacked. Manages to block/avoid several punches. Turning kicks attacker in stomach. Tells attacker to leave. Attacker tries again. TKD'ist kicks to legs, sending attacker to floor, attacker runs off.

These are all real incedents that have happened to myself and people from my club. So while I admit that TKD is not the most street effective art, it is useful/effective as a SD art when applied correctly.

13. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Sadly some people will never believe you, though I'm not one of them...

14. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

I know some may not believe my post. I just wanted to show that TKD is not all about kicks and that the training is effective in that it teaches things that most MA's teach. Blocking, footwork, evasion, timing, striking, awareness, taking punches, etc. Just because we learn flashy high kicks etc does not mean that we would use them in self defence or even that we are taught to use them in SD.
    I personnally really enjoy the ART side of TKD as well as the martial side, but just because there is an ART side does not mean that the MARTIAL side does not work. Yes other arts may be more effective in SD, but I don't do TKD just for SD, as there is so much more to it, however this doesn't mean that TKD doesn't make people more effective in a SD situation.

15. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

You're preaching to the choir mate, it's just that many people have already decided that it doesn't work and no amount of you or I defending our arts and providing evidence will change their opinion.

16. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

Ah well. I'm happy - Your happy. Don't matter about the rest.

17. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

I know these are true because number 2 was me! But i didn't block his arm i just hit him him on the jaw as he went to glass my friend and he dropped to the floor. It shocked me to see the power in my punches as i only weigh 10 1/2 stone and this lad was about 14 stone. So to the question 'does taekwondo work on the street?' then my personal answer would be that it does for me. :) (although i hope i don't have to use it again)

18. eudobex

eudobex New Member

Ok well I reacon with any martial art it is not just the moves which will help you in a fight but the way you think and move as well. if you watch two people try to do a martial art for the first time, and one of them has previously done a different martial art, you can tell because of the way they move, and react to the situation. So however useless you think TKD must be dont just take it for whats seen, think about how you create your strenght etc. I personally do use blocks alot in sparring, but that might just be cos I have done alot of sparring with people of all different abilities, espically people better than me, cos when I started I was small and could not get techniques in.

In a fight you probabaly would not do techniques how you have been taught, you would just do anything, but you woul dget the strenght and mental ability from your Martial art what ever it is.

1st Dan Black Belt

19. Sedvan

Sedvan Valued Member

Anyone ever had to defend themselves on the street using TKD?

I sometimes find TKD unpractical...and I'm a first Dan black..so stay with me on this one. Many instructors disregard the whole punching aspect of martial arts when it comes to TKD. It is still very valid in combat, but the problem is people don't always know whats effective..Please share opinions and past expereinces.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2005
  20. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

i have not had to do to much of it, just a front kick the the sack was all i needed. im sure if its done well it can be very effective, but if not it wont be. and we do some punching but i wish TKD focused more on it to be honest.