Tae Kwon Do any Good on the Street

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by Jackie Li, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Talk about blowing your own horn...

PL

2. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Easy, I would rewind time to the point where I decided to kick you above the waist (a high risk move) when you were in a position to counter. ;)

Kicks to the waist in head are very usefull in a self defence situation, you just need to make sure your opponent is already on the ground.

In all seriousness ;) (hey when am I any different) these are the type of lessons that are only learned by allowing someone to grab your leg in the first place. The problem is too many TKD classes quote "sparring" when what they mean is "competition sparring", I let students go at it no pads and let the amount of techs expand a bit. Ideally I would include grabbing etc , but that would include mats headgear etc which, is not the primary focus for my class of beginners ;).

3. chungmoomonkey

chungmoomonkey Just a few more months...

the blocks are not suposed to be used the way they are practiced because do people always throw strait evin punches no the dont so u must improvise
    i agree that the legs in tkd are grate and the hand in kung ful are awsome so the mixture is superior.

4. enlwlffo

enlwlffo New Member

kickcatcher-
    i know what you're talking about
    one time quite a while ago i had my foot grabbed in a fight, and the throw to the ground was so brutal that it cracked 4 of my ribs
    when i see u start to evade the blow i pull it
    that's just the way i kick, especially if i saw u about to try to grab my leg
    when i see your hands get near my leg i would yank my foot torward the ground wit all my power at the same time bring the other one up into the chest, or face, or neck.
    trust me it works
    the principle used is that the power u have in your fingers during the initial grabbing would not be stronger than the power with which i can slam my foot down.
    this is just the way i do it, and it works for me

5. enlwlffo

enlwlffo New Member

as a reply to your spinning kick comment-
    i believe it all depends on the person
    i think the best experience i had with spinning hook kick is when a guy bout 4 inches taller than me was getting in my face
    i just shoved him just enough to get him in range, took a step forward and him him in the side of the face
    i did it extremely fast and he had to way of blocking it
    he had to get stiches in his face

6. Mujuk Striker

Mujuk Striker New Member

Hello fellow TKDists, this is my first official post.

Well, I kinda skipped around this particular thread but I often come across ideas and arguments concerning the efficiency of TKD in a real live street situation. The fact is that any style is known for its own strengths (i.e. kenpo with punches) and the fact that TKD has great kicks doesnt excuse lack of punches and throws, which depends on the style of the teacher/student.

Another thing is that TKD is great for self defense, but i it was really founded on principles of developing a state of mind and to maintain discipline.

Finally, Concerning other styles in comparison, TKD vs. Kung Fu for instance, kung fu often seems to train specifically in combinations that are appropriate in combat, thus creating a quicker and knowledgable fighter. However, if you train properly in combat TKD you should rival the prowess of any martial artist :D . That is all.

7. STASH

STASH New Member

OK, I know I'm gonna get flammed for this, but here it goes:

TKD is a sport, plain and simple. It is restricted to mainly one range (although sometimes there are exceptions), the kicks are designed to score points rather then to actually hurt (please remember, I have trained in TKD for over 10 years). The traditional self defence drills are complete and utter trash. Anyone who knows self defence; Geoff Thompson, Rich Dimitri, Tony Blauer and others have been saying the same thing over and over; complicated techniques designed for sport simply dont work in real life. It's not about "I would do this if you do this", real life isnt like that. Real life encounters are not like sparring matches, its not a war of attacks and counter attacks, it's one big bloody mess.

I have noticed that many TKD people (I used to be in this group myself) simply have no idea of anything other then TKD. Please, if you are interested in self defence do a little research.

Remember, anything complicated generally falls apart when the sh*t hits the fan. Terry O'Neil, a British bouncer who was famous for knocking people out with kicking techniques, never used anything too complicated (and he's one of the very few who was able to knock people out with kicks when it counted most in the first place). If you want to find out about the effectiveness of kicks in self-defence, he's probably the best person to research. There's lots of information concerning him on the Geoff Thompson website.

8. enlwlffo

enlwlffo New Member

lol i don't wanna flame you but what you practiced is sport taekwondo
    i recently started WTF, i have mostly trained in combative tkd
    i also did judo and some kickboxing

also
    the most famous gangster in Korean history, Kim Doo Han (all you koreans probly recognize the name) became the best streetfighter in Korea at the age of 17, and that's korean age i think. (i might be wrong) which makes him 16 the way we think of age.
    His entire fighting style was based on a tkd-like concept with mostly kicks
    People who have seen him in action say he was extremely quick and powerful with his kicks. There are recorded historic events of fights in which he was EXTREMELY outnumbered and took them all out.
    before you bash kicking as a good fighting style please take a look at Kim , Doo Han
    P.S. i think he also liked spin kicks a lot, not just real simple kicks
    im not saying he didn't use his hands, of course he did, he's a gangster, but he mainly relied on kicking

9. STASH

STASH New Member

Nope, I did WTF TKD under Michael Deh, one of the first Africans to ever become a qualified instructor.

There are always exceptions to everything, I believe Kim Doo Han was a great fighter, however street fighting is very different from what you are taught at TKD, combative or sport. I guarantee that Kim Doo Han had to adapt his techniques so that they would work. Once again, I urge you guys to do some research.

I never bashed kicking, and it isnt a fighting style. It's a range of combat and a tool.

www.geoffthompson.com
    www.senshido.com

10. enlwlffo

enlwlffo New Member

yea he did have to adapt it to street fighting
    but people who saw him in action commented on how much he kicked versus punched.
    wow
    imagine being that good at kicks
    pretty dam incredible

11. davjohns

davjohns New Member

Tosh,

I read your initial response to this thread. Perhaps I misunderstood your intent:

"How many times do we need to go through these same discussions?

It's getting pretty boring.

"x doesn't work on the street" threads have been done to death, Thank you please.

Please do one of 2 things:

1) Find a new angle on it and post something that has not been talked about before.
    2) Expect me to lock this thread if there is a hint of it descending into nonsense." (emphasis added)

It was not clear to me that you meant name calling and flaming by the term nonsense. I was still on your comment that it was boring.

Sorry if you were offended.

dwj

12. kickcatcher

kickcatcher Banned Banned

I've reread my previous post and it came across wrong. What I meant was that stop-sidekick is cool within the rules sparring context of TKD but it does have further limitations when you reduce the rules. Grabbing it is relatively straightforward for instance. I'm not so sure about the retracting it because you see that the opponernt is trying to grab it. You must be a much better kicker than at my TKD club.

Tosh is right when he infers that the sparring rules limit understanding/awareness of the inherent weaknesses of techniques.

Stash is right 100%.

13. kickcatcher

kickcatcher Banned Banned

Imagine being good on the street. Sod whether it's kicking, punching, throws etc. I don't see the kudos in kicking relative to any other way of winning.

14. Lanakin

Lanakin It's all about discipline

I'll have to comment on this. While Taekwondo isn't (Or doesn't seem to be) as effective as rivaling MA's, it still gives a good base for support (Discipline, respect) as well as some combat experience. It's a great starting point to help you out later on down the road. Which, later on, would make it an effective art overall. And I DO agree that the "flashy" moves are there to earn points in competitions, and aren't as effective as the other straight-forward "Non-flashy" attacks. :eek: But, there is room for disagreement, as always. This is all IMO, so don't take anything I say the wrong way.

:woo:

15. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

None was ever taken, we ALL get the wrong end of the stick sometimes (insert stick-fighting joke here). Don't think I'll ever run away from TKD discussion just because I think people have good points.

The problem is that I have been here too long and could point you to numerous other threads which highlight the same arguments which go on here.

Search for some TMA vs MMA stuff inthe general discussion to see what I mean. So far i think everyone is learning a lot in this one :D. Long may it continue I say.

16. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

hee hee, I dunno about proper techniques to get out of a one foot grab but I used to jump kick them in the head with my other foot, toe side or heel side depending on which foot grabbed me.

yeah I'll end up on the floor but this is such an absurd theoretical situation I don't really care.

17. Lanakin

Lanakin It's all about discipline

Well, that's an easy one. I was practicing w/ my Dad (Messing around, really), and I kicked at him so he grabbed my leg right behind the knee, and I dropped down and landing my palm on the ground and reached my other heel up to his heart. Luckily, it didn't hit. :D

:woo:

18. enlwlffo

enlwlffo New Member

lol
    this looks good in the movies, but many people expect this now
    so imagine i grab ur leg and u try to kick me wit the other
    so i raise my other arm and ur foot smashes into my arm and u smash into the ground

19. enlwlffo

enlwlffo New Member

i didn't mean retracting it so much as smashing it torwards the ground as soon as i see you bout to grab it
    then im set up to kick u again and ur wondering where my foot went
    we did alot of work in this at our school coz alot of kids would get someone's kick to land on their arm
    and then raise their arm quickly
    so its the equivalent of grabbing and raising, but it'd be real subtle and most of the time the referee wouldn't call it

20. STASH

STASH New Member

Thank you :cool: