Tactis against shorter people

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by shs111, Sep 1, 2012.

1. shs111

shs111 Valued Member

Hello I have my 2nd fight coming up Im about 8 weeks out so I have a lot of time. They just put me up against my opponent who says is 5'6 and Im 5'10 (long legs/arms). but the question is what moves or does anyone have a specific strategy against someone who is considerably shorter then them. The obvious is a long jab but anything else? Thanks
    I also have a taekwondo backround if that changes anything that I can add

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

For fights, you should be listening to your coach and corner person on what to do.

But in general, if you got reach on the opponent, your long ranged right cross to the chin/jaw line might become your friend. Strike three quarters speed to just passed the half-way point (to make sure the opponent sees the punch and adjusts to the timing of it), then accelerate the punch to full speed the rest of the way.

It can be hard to learn this punch because you have change your timing mid-way through the punch. An easier way to work the punch is to leave your hand out half-way and punch from there with power. But you don't want to get in the bad habit of leaving your hand out as a result so context is important that this is training to change speed of your punch at the mid-way point.

You can also aim for the eyes and nose, but instead of knock out you will usually get a lot of bleeding. Depending on how friendly your fights are, you may or may not want a lot of bleeding.

Also, learn to punch down a bit when you work the heavy bag for working these punches.

3. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

I am no thai boxer, but what I generally do when fighting larger opponents is to close in and go low. That pretty much takes away the reach advantage that they have over me (I am pretty short), plus makes them readjust the way they fight because they have to maneuver in the little space I am allowing them to have. I guess for a thai boxer that's when elbows and knees come in quite handy.

I would use your reach advantage mercilessly, as in keep them at a distance where you can hit him but he can't hit you.

Like Rebel Wado said, listen to what your coaches tell you. That's what they're there for :)

4. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Step on him!

If that fails.

Control the distance. Keep him out of range. In addition to hitting him long pivot and hook him as he goes by when he tries to get in. Drop level and hit him straight on. Learn to be able to quickly widen your baser and bend your knees so when he moves forward you are hitting striaght into him rather than punching down at him.

When you're in control of the distance opponents will often get frustrated or desperate or both. Look for the three classic mistakes. Over extension, lunging in or rushing. All of these create openings and take more time for him to recover from. Figure out what you're good at doing against each and watch for him to do them.

5. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Think about HIS tactic with you being taller , he will be looking at low kick to your long leg, and getting on the inside using body shots in and out he wont want to clinch
    So.. Make sure your low kick defence is tight, and try using clinch/long knee

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I've just currently gotten serious into boxing so I have very little to contribute here, especially since it's Thai Boxing and I'm sure there are other factors involved beyond just throwing hands. One thing that has worked for me against shorter opponents in sparring to great effect is going in for an attack and then getting out of range, then hopping right back in. I have found that more experienced sparring partners will begin to counter punch after the initial first few punches which is why I have found this effective. You hop in and throw a 1-2, they try to counter but you've stepped out of range and they miss and it leaves them open for the second 1-2. I tend to go in with a very strong jab that has my forward momentum in it and a strong cross and repeat after I hop out of range and then back into punching distance.

Good luck with your fight!

7. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Remember you need to show control , effect of your techniques and balance Without these three things you stand little chance of winning without a ko

8. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

As most people have said, control the range so you are at a distance you can throw shots you are comfortable with. Listen to your coach and corner beforehand and during the fight as they'll be able to see things you may miss in the heat of the moment.

As a taller fighter myself I find that my lead leg front kick (long teep) followed immediately by right round leg kick seems to work pretty well (stagger the timing to make it trickier to defend, or round kick the rear leg if they shin block too high).
    Often, if you are against a shorter, stockier fighter they may try to swarm with solid punches, I find myself clinching in response. Personally I prefer the body clinch over plumb (double underhooks, over/under, or double overhooks on the arms), but this may just be me ;) Against a shorter fighter you may well end up with double overhooks which sets you up in a good position to turn, offbalance and knee your heart out or just knee the legs until they don't have the footwork to move inside your kick...

Good luck with whatever strategies you go with!

9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

not a thai boxer, but 5 feet tall. i have one thing to say:

PUSH KICK PUSH KICK PUSH KICK!!!

10. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Well I've got your push kick here FoD: 30 seconds into this video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsSoX6qB9N0"]Kung-Fu: Bruce Lee vs. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - YouTube[/ame]

11. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

12. JKDbyNik

JKDbyNik Valued Member

Recognize the objective....he's shorter, so to be effective he will have to get in close, clinch and tie you up as he works your body. Keep your footwork going, run the outside of the ring, keep the long long tools like the jab, push kick (teep) going non stop. Everytime you hit with combo's..move! Stick and move, stick and move. Work a good jab/cross combo and lead that into your thigh kick...and everytime he steps in get your offensive tools out there!

13. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

Don't forget if you have a significant reach advantage you can possibly hit with a wide variety of shots from outside of your opponents range - no need to stick to jab/cross + front kicks when you can also land reaching uppercuts, roundhouse kicks etc from outside. Also, it is possible that you may actually be rangy enough to land knees + elbows (if permitted) from your opponents punching/kicking range.

Shorter fighters often try to step in and close the range. I've noticed a lot of people dip their head a little as they do this also, likely to protect from walking into a straight shot to the chin. When an opponent does this, they are very vulnerable to being clinched + kneed. Guys tend to stop stepping in if your clinch punishes them for doing so. Bending your legs as you sink into body shots also increases your punching range by the way, may be a useful little tip for you.

Finally, one thing to think about - I don't know where you live/train/fight etc, but I've noticed that a lot of our guys over here (UK) have opponents change or drop out. Personally I wouldn't spend 8 weeks of training focusing on a shorter fighter. Train for anything with perhaps the emphasis on your particular opponent in the last couple weeks.