Tablets

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Frodocious, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Has anyone used the Lenovo A8 Tab?

I've had a Groupon offer through for one and am considering it. I was, initially, going to get a tablet, but then changed my mind to a smartphone (see other thread). However, this offer is making me think about the tablet option again.

Advice, reviews, suggestions would be appreciated. :)

2. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

IMO Tablets are useless if you have a decent smartphone, the only thing they have that a phone wont is a bigger screen. Depends on your uses, what would you do with a tablet, that you wont be able to do on a phone or a laptop/pc? I have a Nexus 7 Tab, a Kindle Fire hd and a Samsung Galaxy Tab s just sitting around doing nothing, because I'm always either on my phone or computer. The only time I use the Tab S is maybe on a journey were I watch a movie or T.V. show on it.

3. Frodocious

The bigger screen is an attraction. I just want it for surfing the net (and Skyping home when travelling), to be honest. I will need a new laptop sometime soon, but don't want to spend put on one at the moment. I'm flitting between the smartphone and the tablet. The tablet would be nice to use for the internet at home, when I can't be bothered with booting up the laptop.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I agree with CrowZero, even a half-decent smartphone makes a tablet redundant.

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

You're both obviously young with great vision.

6. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I have the smartest of phones (or I did do when it first came out) which is great for when I am out and about, but I find the screen far too small for when I'm indoors and pouring over the interweb, etc.

Tablet wise I sport an Apple iPad 2 and iPad Air 2, both great all rounders but obviously locked to the Apple ecosystem. I also have an Amazon Kindle Fire HDX, which is great for me as I'm an Amazon Prime member, so it's awesome for movies, books, music, etc, and lastly, I also have a Lenovo Miix 3 10 which is a Windows 10 job, which I'm not convinced about...

If all you're doing is surfing the web and Skyping, perhaps a bit gaming, then you don't need to go all out to get one with the best resolution screen, the biggest storage, etc. If you check out Amazon, they've just brought out a new range of tablets starting from just £50!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Y3TM6..._t=4201&pf_rd_p=702084867&pf_rd_i=navbar-4201

It's crazy!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I have the 10inch screen Lenovo picked it up from Argos when it was on sale, use it more than my old laptop, great for watching videos and clips that I find too small in my smart phone,
    It saved me having to buy a new laptop watch bt sport, sky sports and Skype on it.

8. Frodocious

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh! Decisions, decisions! Smartphone or tablet. :eek: :bang:

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Depends what you want it for, do you want portability or screen size? Do you have a decent laptop you can skype watch videos on etc? If so id say smart phone, if not id say...get both!

10. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Both.

As Chimp said, phone for when you're knocking about, tablet for messing around in the house. And for me laptops and desktops for doing proper stuff and gaming.

And ideally, you need two of each. :)

11. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

You could go "mini tablet" such as the iPad Mini with a screen that is just under 8", Samsung also do a 7" screen. That way you have a larger than smartphone screen, put still maintain much of the portability.

Personally, I find tablets of this size too small for my needs, but it might be worth considering.

12. Frodocious

Maybe I should get the smartphone first and look out for a tablet in the Christmas (or pre-Christmas) sales, if I think I still need one.

13. Frodocious

My laptop's OK, if a bit old. It works well for watching stuff on at home.

14. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I've got an iPhone 6 and an iPad Air and this exactly what I use my iPad for , the phone is great when I'm on my travels with the kids , but the pad is brilliant at home for a quick google , watching Netflix or just casual web surfing (like this).