Tabata Intervals

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bozza Bostik, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Not sure if this is the right place for this question.

I am thinking of adding some Tabata intervals to my routine.

Simple question: Are they a 'stand alone' thing, or can I add them to an already existing routine. Like if I was gonna do 10 rounds on the heavy bag/tyre could I do the Tabata stuff after? Or is better to do them totally separate. They're quite intense.

Is it ok to add sets? Or is the aim to go as hardcore as possible in that 20 seconds and 8 sets...so you never need to add anything else?

Thanks in advance.

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Simple question why do you want to add them in? what are you expecting to get out of them?

3. Bozza Bostik

Honestly...for fun. Just to mix up my routine and do something different now and again.

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

in that case add them in where ever you want, normally at the end of a work out, you wont get the results tabata did with his research sudjects but if its only for fun it doesnt matter

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

http://www.8weeksout.com/2011/09/28/never-gas-out-mma-interval-training/

should give this a read boris, good clear explanation of what different types of sprints do.
    I do a programme consisting of nothing but all 4 of these in the weeks leading up to competition but its still good knowledge to have if you just want to add cardio to a more varied routine, also if thats all your looking to do don't over look good old fashioned steady state roadwork its kind of fallen out of favour for intervals but it still has benefits.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Out of interest Tout what exercises do you use for each interval, and do you track heart rate on each one?

7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Tempo and VO2 on a properly set up bike, Reactive I do explosive push ups and hill sprints for High resistance. No I never pay attention to my heart rate I must admit.

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Cheers to be honest with those intervals you don’t need to track HR, it’s a nice to have but a not must have, which is probably why he used those in that article. Joel does other intervals which require a HR to get the job done, but HRI Tempo and VO2 along with steady state would get the job done. Was interested in what lower body work you were doing for reactive BUT since the other 3 are so lower body intensive I think it’s a good idea just to do the upper body work
    At the moment im doing steady state, Tempo, HRI and when I can force myself to do them HICT using weighted step ups

9. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

so most people do more than one exercise for reactive one upper one lower ? he says in the article you should rest for 5 minutes if your going to do another exercises but he doesn't really say anything about how many exercises to do.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Yep normally one upper and one lower, bounds or other plyometrics I think are usually used, ive not done them so wondered if you had. Ive done other forms of intervals he talks about and he usually has you done one upper and one lower when using plyometrics with at least 5 minutes between exercises.

11. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

interesting, I need to get his book last I looked it was out of print though.

12. Bozza Bostik

Cheers lads.

Road work and sprints are out. I can't run for 6 months or so 'cause of a dodgy ankle... :( I'm just doing a ton of bag work, focus mitts, BW, KBs. Wanna get back to some grappling in a few months and need to get my basic fitness and strength up. But really just to stop me puking on the mat.

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

think less about specific exercises and more about what you want to acheive, 30 minutes of light shadow boxing, bodyweight exercises and medicine ball throws will work the same energy system as jogging. fast punch out drills on a punch bag kept under 10 secons with a minute recovery with work the alactic system the same way as short sprints, its that without a heart rate monitor and knowledge of what heart rate zone you need to be in to get the results you want running and sprints are the best bet because its easy to judge how hard and how steady you are in your training, does that make sense?

14. Bozza Bostik

30 mins shadow boxing continuous or broken into rounds? Or a bit of both?

Yeah, it makes sense.

I have a HRM but I don't like them. They're useful and all, but it all gets too serious. I know it's more efficient working with the HR zones, but for me personally it takes the fun away. My aims aren't so serious anymore...Been there done that, got sick of training. Don't wanna go down that path again :)

EDIT: Might stick up more info of what I am doing at a later date and see if you guys can give me some feed back.