systema ?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Ghoul, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Ghoul

Ghoul your newest role model

i've recently become away that there is a systema class that trians near me, has anyone heard of it appart from it been developed for the russian spetnaz ?
    how do thay train?, what i should expect from my first lession ?
    any of you learning systema or tryed it ?

2. Adam

Adam New Member

Please do a search on this. There are about 15 threads on the same subject. We are lucky to have RobP, systema instructor, on the site, who has posted good info on the style.

3. Ghoul

Ghoul your newest role model

thank you, i had forgoten about searching,

4. RobP

RobP Valued Member

5. Adam

Adam New Member

Yo, RobP, from that site you posted: "The third difference is that all training is carried out at full contact. Once again, this sounds extremely daunting to the beginners - "Will I get injured?". The answer is no - kicks and lunches are not pulled, but the work is carried out at different speeds. It is very important in the initial stages that students work slowly."

How do systemaists spar? From the video clips I've seen, it looks like you're sparring in slow motion, very controlled. Is that true?

6. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Initially the sparring work will be slow, yes. It depends largely on the people involved. The better people can deal with taking strikes or being taken down or thrown then the faster the sparring becomes.

What we try and avoid is sparring fast but pulling every strike. It's difficult to do sometimes, but it gets people much more used to hitting and taking hits.

cheers

7. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Hi Rob,

Systema looks an impressively practical system. It's a shame there aren't any instructors in Sussex yet ...

Cheers

8. Sramanera

Sramanera Valued Member

9. starrider7777

starrider7777 New Member

Hello RobP! Iam in the US in the state of Oklahoma. Unfortunenately, there are no Systema training outlets here as of yet. I have trained in many other MA applications and find Systema truly intriguing. All I know about it I have only discovered by reading online.
    I have a question. Would you consider there to be major differences between Systema and Krav Maga? If so please explain. Krav maga training is available here. The only really striking difference I can nail down just now is the way that practioners move. Systema seems to have more fluid movement. Have I answered my own question? HAHA

10. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Hi

I'm not too qualified to answer that as I have little experience of KM. However a friend who has trained in both says pretty much what you did. And of course, like anything, quality can vary from place to place.

Sandy wrote: "It's a shame there aren't any instructors in Sussex yet ..."

Hopefully we can change that soon :)

11. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Hi RobP

Just thought I'd introduce myself I'm a Systema practioner from the West Mids and would like to say that it's nice to see our art getting some positive press on a non Systema forum, it looks like you're doing a great job to promote the art.

Cheers

Richard Upcott

12. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Hi Rob,

That's great. When that eventually changes, do drop me a PM through MAP, as I'd be keen to try it out. It's great to have a Systema instructor on MAP.

It must be challenging to disseminate martial arts instruction in a new style to the UK. I guess keeping high standards is why there are few instructors for now.

We're lucky that Sussex seems to be able to support some non-mainstream martial arts, from bagua to JKD. (Perhaps it's the influx of young people to Brighton and Sussex Universities.) So I hope we see Systema here soon!

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  13. myki

myki New Member

I’m bringing this thread forward for a question, I guess directed at RobP:

Do you think Systema can be adapted for a guy in a wheelchair?

Cheers!

14. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

15. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Hi Myki

Very much so, yes. Bear in mind the conditions that Systema was developed for - a person not neccesarily at full strength, encumbered by gear, possibly wounded - and you can see how it can be adapted.

In fact part of the regular training is to work from different positions - seated, blindfold, hands tied, etc. I heard that a regular at the Toronto class turned up one week with a leg in plaster. He couldn't train, he said, but had come to watch. Vladimir had the guy do the class and made the rest of the students do the whole class with a stick down one trouser leg.....

If you take your martial art as something beyond a competition (good as that may be) it is important to explore all facets of its use. Being wheelchair bound is an obvious limit in some respects, but we all carry limits around. The not so obvious ones are often more difficult to deal with!

regards
    Rob

16. myki

myki New Member

Thanks Melanie for the PM to Rob. I’ve seen the Disability MA area, I thought I might try a Systema thread rather than start a new one.

Rob, Thanks for the info! Any idea if there is a school around Edmonton, Alberta Canada? Or would the videos be a benefit?
    I would prefer an instructor, but lacking that, maybe the videos…

Your opinion?

Cheers!

17. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

For more info and clips check out www.russianmartialart.org.uk. The site has plenty of articles and clips showing a variety of work including sat in a chair.

Paul Genge
    Russian Martial Arts Northwest

18. Smokemare

Smokemare ITF TKD 2nd Dan

I did Systema for a year or so. It's something I'd like to go back to at some point were time and circumstance allowing.

One thing I would say is that if you are used to the way traditional martial arts classes work it will come as a real culture shock.

Incidentally if anyone knows whether the class that used to run in Fenton, Stoke-on-Trent is still going, PM me. I might want to get in touch with the instructor there at some point.