Systema - Russian Martial Art

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Keysi_chick, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Keysi_chick

Keysi_chick New Member

Anyone ever heard of Systema?? just wondering what its about...anyone any ideas???

2. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Paul Genge has been posting stuff about it here and here and you can learn more about it here .

3. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

I find it to be a very good martial art. While I don't train in it personally, there is a group who I have watched.

4. Topher

Topher allo!

Anyone got any good videos of it. I have to say that from what i have seen it dosn;t seem that great for self-defence. What i have seen is cooperative opponents, slow motions training and a lot of specific grabs and holds, like twist hand around etc. I'd like to seen that done against someone not cooperaiting ;)

5. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

I don't think your going to find any martial art that teaches you techniques with someone who won't cooperate. I have seen them do this full speed without cooperation and it is powerful. I

6. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Pop over to a Systema class and ask the instructor I've found they are very open to such questions and will let you "work" with them in a non co-operative manner ;).

For the record the other night at my Systema class after we'd done various drills and slow-mo training we were told to "play" a bit……..co-operation went out the window :eek: my partner almost took my head off whilst chocking me :eek: :D

7. bobbysmilesok

bobbysmilesok New Member

Anybody know if there are any clubs in Oxford. I can't find any info online.

8. Jekyll

Jekyll Valued Member

No, there's not.

9. Topher

Topher allo!

What are the aims from slo-mo training. I sometimes do things in slow motion to really breakdown and understand what im doing and to focus on relaxation/tension etc. Is this similar in Systema?

10. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

Try this link.

Paul Genge