Syllabus - What's your's require?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by armanox, Jul 26, 2006.

1. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Just out of curiousity, what does your syllabus require for each promotion?

I'll start with mine:

White belt kata:
    Kihon I-V
    Tensho
    Naihanchi I-III
    Seisan

Green belt(YonKyu) kata:
    Pinan I-V

Brown belt (Sankyu - Ikyu) kata:
    Itosu no Passai
    Matsumura no Passai
    Kopassai sho
    Kusanku Sho
    Kusanku Dai
    Chinto

Black belt kata (Shodan + up, not sure of the breakdown):
    Gojushiho
    Jion
    Unshu
    Nakanishi no kata

2. shoto-kali

shoto-kali The Chosen One

here's mine (see attached pdf file) .....

Attached Files:

3. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Go to www.sska.co.uk and look at the syllabus there. Pretty standard, I'd say

4. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Kata-wise (I wont post everything else, the post will be a mile long):

1st - 10th mon - Kihon Kata (and Heian Shodan if known)
    9th kyu - Heian shodan
    8th kyu - Heian shodan
    7th kyu - Heian shodan, nidan
    6th kyu - Heian nidan, sandan
    5th kyu - Heian sandan, yodan
    4th kyu - 5 Heian kata
    3rd kyu - 5 Heian kata, Tekki Shodan, Kanku Dai
    2nd kyu - 5 Heian kata, Tekki Shodan, Kanku Dai, Bassai Dai
    1st kyu - 5 Heian Kata, Kanku Dai, Bassai Dai, Jion
    1st dan - 5 Heian Kata, 5 Advanced Kata
    2nd dan - 10 Advanced Kata
    3rd dan - 15 advanced kata

5. soryu fisherman

soryu fisherman Valued Member

6. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

katas:

10th kyu - none

9th kyu - none

8th kyu - taikoyoko-sono-ichi, taikoyoko-sono-ni

7th kyu - taikoyoko-sono-san

6th kyu - pinan ichi

5th kyu - pinan ni

4th kyu - pinan san

3rd kyu - pinan yon

2nd kyu - pinan go

1st kyu - tsuki no kata, geki sai dai

1st dan - saifa, sanchin, yantsu, bo katas: ichi, ni, san

2nd dan - sei yunchin, tensho, gek-sai-sho, sai katas: ichi, ni

3rd dan - seipai, shisochin, kanku dai, nanchuku kata

7. TheHeianKid

TheHeianKid New Member

Seido Juku Karate kyu grade Kata syllabus ... there may be some slight variation as to what is taught to grades between dojo
    10 kyu (white) Taikoyoku 1
    9 kyu (advanced white) Taikoyoku 1, 2 and 3
    8 kyu (blue) Taikoyoku 1-3, Pinan 1, Seido 1
    7 kyu (advanced blue) Taikoyoku 1-3, Pinan 1, Seido 1, Sanchin
    6 kyu (yellow) Taikoyoku 1-3, Pinan 1 & 2, Seido 1 & 2, Sanchin
    5 kyu (advanced yellow) Taikoyoku 1-3, Pinan 1-3, Seido 1 & 2, Sanchin
    4 kyu (green) Taikoyoku 1-3, Pinan 1-4 Seido 1-3, Sanchin, Geki sai Dai
    3 kyu (advanced green) Taikoyoku 1-3, Pinan 1-4, Seido 1-3, Sanchin, Geki sai Dai, Yantsu
    2 kyu (brown) 1-3, Pinan 1-5, Seido 1-4, Sanchin, Geki sai Dai, Yantsu, Tsuki No
    1 kyu (advanced brown) Taikoyoku 1-3, Pinan 1-5, Seido 1-4, Sanchin, Geki sai Dai, Yantsu, Tsuki No, Tensho, Saifa

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  8. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

Here is mine up to blue belt (I don't have the higher sheets yet - but i'll have the red belt sheet 2 weeks from saturday :) )

Things I should note first are that our stripes are bits of electrical tape on your belt - not whole new belts
    And that students like me (the dedicated ones) learn WAY more than whats on the sheets - sparring techniques and theory, lots of randori - self defence stuff locks, throws, some ju-jitsu etc... For example, for my red belt test saturday I am expected to know a minimum of everything I that is listed on the link, plus how to put it together, my sheet requires that I only know 3 full kata at this stage though I know nine for sure and because I am who I am I'll be expected to preform them well etc... etc... anyway here it is it's LONG!!!!

http://www.geocities.com/chbarnes21/KarateCurriculum.pdf

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Kata:

9th kyu - 5th kyu = Heian 1-5
    4th kyu = Tekki Shodan
    3rd kyu - 1st kyu = Bassai dai
    1st dan = your choice of bassai dai, hangetsu, jion, empi or kanku dai + the examiner's choice of any of the previous kata
    2nd dan = your choice of Bassai Sho, Kanku Sho, Nijushiho, Tekki Nidan or Jitte + examiner's choice of 1st dan kata

10. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

11. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

I'm not sure of the *full* requirments for our black belt, I have only seen part of one black belt grading and that was our last one about 3 years ago. For starters she had to run the saturday morning class, clearly though as you may have guessed she'd be teaching and handed the reigns many times since she was a brown belt. About half way through that class, we all gathered round as she had to preform all the katas while everyone's attention was on her. after the usuall saturday class is done, the meat of the grading begins and you have to do all the ciricculem from white to black, plus the katas again and they ask you questions about the katas, what's going on here, what are you doing with this etc... you also have to have made up your own kata before the grading.once all that is done you do randori - apperantly for a very long time. the sensei's come at you and you must defend, block, and strike or takedown or whatever, Sensei has told me that the goal is to push you untill you want to quit, and then make the decision to keep on going, if you can fight thorough that, that about 80% of the decision - can you defend yourself! thats' about all i know, there is sparring in there too i believe, but sensei has only really emphasised the randori to me so far. Oh yeah and 50 pushups whenever they say so, the idea there is if you cannot be diciplined enough to train yourself to do something like 50 pushups at the drop of a hat, how can you be diciplined enough to not use your karate unless you are sure you need it (that is worded kinda bad but i think it gets the point across).

I also know that being ready for the black belt test, at our club is not about attendance, or check marks in your book, but about when you have the right attitude about what you are doing, and how you are doing it and all that... Sensei always say these three words - which i can never remember attitude, _______ and _______. and once the sensei's in the club see those qualities in you plus the ability to do the requirments of the grading then you grade to BB.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  12. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi All,

I've just changed things recently so that although each grade has a syllabus the grade is awarded based on number of classes attended.

My logic is :-
    I only have a few students so we work closely together.
    Much of the time we are doing stuff that is not specifically in the syllabus.
    If I am doing my job and they are doing theirs, then they must be progressing.

I'm not sure if it's the best way - but things came to a head a while back when I realised that we had done no syllabus work in about six months and not had a grading in over a year...

Oh and by the way, the students were much more indifferent about the lack of grading than I was, though one student who has been with me about three years did say that he would kind of like to get a black belt some time - and at the previous rate it was going to take about twenty years :) :) :)

Whatever the opposite of a 'belt mill dojo' is, it's us :)

All the best.

Robert.

13. prowla

prowla Valued Member

You forgot the 1st dan katas in ura... :)

14. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Hey! You're good. lol How could I forget???

15. mega zuki

mega zuki Valued Member

****o ryu

Our ****o ryu school goes by the Japan karate-do organization syllabus. I think they may have some of it on their website. It is a combination of Kata's and techniques to advance to each belt.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006