Swords are deadly

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by BGile, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karatekid

karatekid MOOOOOOOOOOOO

swords

im sorry but i feel its not the swords but the person owning it
    i have 14 swords and have not had one injury from them.. and 5 of them are live blades...
    It just shows how stupid people can be when it comes to weapons they act like they are toys... i mean i am still a teenager and i know they aint so sorry but its not the swords that are dangerous its the people using them

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

And that is exactly what I have been saying and the reason I say, licence them, don't ban them.

Why would I want them banned, they are part and parcel of what I do, but like yourself I have never used them for any other reason than legal practice of my art.

But when people say things like the law will not work, just tells us that we should discard all the laws that have ever been made and we can live in relative mayhem.

Laws are good for stopping the stupid from being stupid, they may not stop the criminal, but they can make it just that little harder but they do certainly stop the stupid so the inteligent can go about their daily lives.

So as I said, licencing may be a good option, but yes I agree, banning would be unfair and senseless for the law abiding common sense individuals.

Best regards

Pat

3. Pat OMalley

Then let me pass you an Asprin;)

Laws protect us from the stupid and help us to convict the law breakers, that in turn helps keep your life just that little safer, for without them we would all be in trouble.

Best regards

Pat

4. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

This is great.
    Laws exist to protect us from the intellectually challenged. You're kidding, right?

So, how often do criminals acquire their weapons, specifically guns, through legal means? This is where your argument loses most of it's ground. I'll tell you how often: almost never. Most criminals get their weapons from other criminals, & guess what? When swords are regulated in the U.K., they will simply get them from other criminals. Then, when swords are banned in the U.K., they will simply get them from, again, other criminals.

So, I should be put through as hassle for what reason again? My ownership should be government regulated why? More of my privacy & rights should be violated why? So that "the stupid people" might be deterred from breaking the law?

The laws that we have are great. They just need to be enforced. You assault someone with a deadly weapon, whether it is a katana, a barong or bolo, a machete, or a butcher knife, you do serious time. You murder someone, you lose your life, or you spend the rest of your life in jail. Everyone that I know, even the "stupid ones", are aware of this.

I'm just glad that I live in a country where the founding fathers valued their citizens inalienable human rights. I can't understand how men & women, no matter where they live, would so willingly give up their rights. It boggles my mind.

5. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

And Another Thing...

Considering the history of FMA, especially with the way that the Spanish tried to subjugate and control the Filipinos' use of weapons. First swords and blades are made illegal, and then even sticks in some places, & it was all so they would not be able to resist forced compliance.
    Now you in the UK are facing a similar situation, and at least to us on the outside, you guys don't seem to be putting up much of a fight. Regulation and licensing is just one step from outright bans, and yet those of you who have made FMA your bread and butter are actually for the government regulation of the tools of your art.

:eek:

6. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

So we should scrap all laws....?

If it was not for any of the past laws you probably would not have any of the morals and values that you have today.

In this wild west lifestyle that you are requesting, will you still have a sheriff or does everyone take the law into their own hands? Just think you should clarify how you would intend us to maintain some trust and harmony among the rest of the human race.

Seeing as crime is an act prohibited and punished by law, the only ones doing anything that is not legal will be the criminals, I know that and I am sure others do too, but what about the chancers or one offs. If that weapons was not readily available they would not commit the crime and ruin their lives, maybe the law is to protect those that will regret it afterward that perhaps do have a conscience.

Yes people can make a weapon from anything and can sharpen blunt impliments too and if they really intend to go out and commit a crime they will do it with a knitting needle if that is all thats left on hand, but what are you trying to say, we should have our swords so we can, what kill people that threaten us??????

I still cannot see other than collecting or martial arts training, why someone would need a sword in our society that we have here in the UK.

So you would prefer a quick death with a bullet for your fellow citizens, leaving them very little chance of survival rather than a fighting chance of survival? To have a relative chance of fighting back you reckon we should sleep with a gun under our pillow, putting our kids at risk in the home, due to the easy access we should provide, becuase if we lock them up and someone breask in with their gun, we are still left very little chance of unlocking them in a surprise attack.

Doc Jude, as a law enforcer you seem to have a serious problem upholding the law, you obviously do not believe in it and I assume you are no longer in the trade and if you are not for much longer eh? :)

Seems to me you are very paranoid. Perhaps because you have seen more than most in this area....I understand this, but I could not live a happy life like that. You must really have trouble sleeping at night.

Love Lucy :love:

7. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

We are martial artist and trained to evade everything of the bad circumtances.And i believed that we have much discipline about ourself...

8. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Jesus Christ, can you not read? You're not one of these "stupid people" that whatshisname has been so worried about, are you?
    Now, go back in the thread and see where I posted this. I'd hold your hand through this trial, but I'm not quite up to the trip for something so trivial. Let's just do this: ask 10 LEOs what stops criminals quicker: fear of punishment by the law, or armed citizens. Go on, ask. I'll be waiting here.

Law-abiding citizens, or "The Intelligent Elite", as some folks around here like to think of themselves, will get along just fine with or without being armed. Good Manners is just part of civilized behavior. & who needs "trust & harmony" when the criminals are walking on eggshells because they don't know who's packin'? Sorry, Honey, but it's been proven to work out here in the Colonies, & mayhap you folk back in Ol' Blighty could learn something from our lessons learned...

Well, according to some around here, they are "the stupids", right? If they lack the common sense to refrain from going and getting a weapon, whether it be a gun or a sword or whatever you like, and commiting a violent crime with said implement, then the armed Intelligentsia can simply use them as an opportunity for target practice, or perhaps to clean out the gene pool so to speak :rolleyes: who knows... I'm not willing to give up my rights to save the life of someone as stupid as that. Besides, I'm sure the stupids would smarten up once a few of them got blown away or cut down by us smarties...

By Jove, I think she's got it!!! Hell Yes! If someone is out to kill me or God help them, my daughter, they will meet Someone in the Great Beyond sooner rather than later, I kid you not!

So...
    if they ban all swords, are you ready to give all of yours up? & do you think that will stop criminals from arming themselves with whatever they like? So, what good is a law that makes a sword or gun illegal if the criminals that would wield them don't care about the legal repercusions that already threaten their behavior?
    I'll tell you, it does no good but to further weaken and disarm law-abiding citizens such as yourself.
    Ask yourself this: If I practice FMA's and some jerk kicks in my door with a machete/bat/board-witha-nail-init or whatever, and I reach up to my weapons rack for something to end this loser with, do I want to find nothing but sticks, or do I want something sharp and pointy, something to do the job right with?
    Besides the point that your business is going to lose alot of revenue w/o all those metal training tools, won't it? Those will most assuredly be made illegal, since it would be so easy to put an edge on them, wouldn't it?

It's a slippery slope, I tell ya...

You, having been disarmed by your government, obviously haven't been keeping abreast of current gun safety technology. There are some rather nifty ways to keep your guns safe for your children or the untrained and still have they easily accessible. Check it out...

Again, YOU MUST LEARN TO READ!!! That was a quote from a LEO from another BB altogether. Go back and read it. Sheesh...

& for the record, I have no trouble sleeping at night, my security system is very good, and the pistol, shotgun, and barong that are accessible within 10seconds of my bedside are very reassuring.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  9. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Man, that was a long post...

& for the record, I LIKE YOUR SITE! Lots of nifty toys... :D

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Doc jude,

Lucy O'Malley needs no help from me. She's perfectly capable of taking care of herself.

Regardless, your previous post constituted a personal attack. If you can't make your points in a civil fashion, I'll need to start editing them for you. Dig?

Stuart

11. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

WHAT?!?!

I didn't realise they raised the price!!

Where's my toothbrush?!

:D

12. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

Thats still "killin", ain't it?!

:p

13. karatekid

karatekid MOOOOOOOOOOOO

if you ban swords then think of all the martial arts/societies that will be ruined...
    I mean i know a lot of competitors that do xtreme sword... I am part of a medieval society that uses swords yes they atre licenced but i have my sword that i use here and most of the other people in the society have thier own and take them to practices...
    In the wrong hands swords can be lethal there is no doubt about that... But why ruin it for everyone else when there is a couple of people misusing them.?
    Yes by all means make it so that we have to have a licence to carry them as people have said...
    I for one dont want to have to give up my swords and i wont im telling you now... :p
    But just because of some silly irrisponable people use them dangerously we all have to *suffer*... No
    As for the guns i know people who have got guns and no harm has come from them either... But hey its probably somtihing to do with the whole one person is being dangerous so everyone that has a gun is dangerous *destroy them*

*kiki*

14. Pat OMalley

Excellent post, as is being said, don't ban them, but yes licence them, after all you have noting to hide by having a licence for them. And all this, well licencing will be the first step to banning them is absolute hog wash.

It is good to see our American brothers pushing for their right to bear arms and all that, but don't you guys have to have a licence for your gun to own it legaly? and does that stop you owning it? and by having the licence for your gun, does this mean that Congress in in the process of banning all your guns?

No of course not, responsible people will have no problem with owning a licence for any weapon, and they will own it responsibly, Irrisposible people on the other hand will find it more difficult. After all if I have my licenced swords and someone breaks into my house, I dont think they will cut with any less an edge do you. And anyway, my trusty Bahi and Kamagong are always near by.

As for Lucy's company losing money through it, quite frankly even though we are careful who we do sell our weapons to, if it makes it even harder for her products to reach the wrong hands by actually asking for a licence, then good, that is not a bad thing.

As for the kill them all and let god sort it out mentality, maybe that is why some countries have a much higher murder rate;)

You dont mind having a licence for your car, but again in the wrong hands it is a leathal weapon yet they are not going to be banned (unless the Green Party wins of course:Alien: ), so why object to having a licence for your sword?

The only people that will realy object to actually having a licence to legally own a sword, are those who have something to hide.

Best regards

Pat

15. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Please PM me with what part in particular was a personal attack & I will avoid posting in such a manner in the future. Thanks.

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No worries. Done. Thanks very much.

Stuart

17. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

As for the kill them all and let god sort it out mentality, maybe that is why some countries have a much higher murder rate...

They trust in a god, to do the sorting :confused: Yet they don't trust in the Government, to make a good choice :rolleyes:
    Boy we are in trouble now :p

Gary

18. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Ever heard of the Brady Bill? There are plenty of people here in the U.S. that actually believe that disarming the citizenry will actually make them safe from armed criminals. Mostly it is bleeding-heart responses to gun accidents or things like Columbine or VT, when they refuse to see the positive results of citizens bearing arms in situations such as the Appalachian School of Law shooting where armed students subdued the shooter after only claiming three victims. That's less than 1/10th of the victimes of VT, where students aren't allowed to have their firearms on campus at all. Imagine if responsible gun owners were allowed to carry practically wherever they like, such as in Israel. Criminal Shootings are almost nonexistant, & terrorists have been forced to resort to suicide bombings where they are often shot or subdued before they get the chance to use their explosive devices.

Cute, as if that is what I said. I'm speaking of self defense, and you refer to it as murder? Hmmm.... :rolleyes:

Oh, but I do mind having to pay for licenses for cars, or fishing, or any of the masked taxation methods that our government in the US inflicts upon us. I am all for education, but not regulation of things that should be my right to possess or practice until my ability to self-govern, or lack thereof, proves otherwise.

"The only people that will realy object to actually having a licence to legally own a sword, are those who have something to hide."
    EEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHH!!!!!! WRONG!!! I'd explain to you the concept of Right to Privacy, but I wouldnt' have to if you read the links that I post. Oh well, it's fun debating with people who don't listen and actually like being disarmed.

19. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

:p Well, according to some around here, they are "the stupids", right? If they lack the common sense to refrain from going and getting a weapon, whether it be a gun or a sword or whatever you like, and commiting a violent crime with said implement, then the armed Intelligentsia can simply use them as an opportunity for target practice, or perhaps to clean out the gene pool so to speak who knows... I'm not willing to give up my rights to save the life of someone as stupid as that. Besides, I'm sure the stupids would smarten up once a few of them got blown away or cut down by us smarties...

:love: mentions

I'll add:
    The reason we train, carry covertly, and are very cautious :p Or run like heck :D

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

and then some. i've talk to some of lucy's victims...er, wekaf opponents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.