Swords are deadly

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by BGile, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

2. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

well id never have guessed how dangrous a sword could be thanx for the warning

3. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Well I thought it would turn a head or two. Pretty much a given that is for sure.

4. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

An unfortunate incident, but it just shows that it is not the blade that is dangerous, but rather the person weilding it.

And yes swords are dangerous and that is one of the reasons governements are trying to ban them.

Best regards

Pat

5. Black_Grass

Black_Grass Valued Member

Pat,

What is your opnion on this ?

Vince

6. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

That is one very sad and awful story.

7. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

an awful story...

in manilla, what is likely to be his punishment?

8. doc_jude

doc_jude Banned Banned

Swords aren't dangerous. Swords are inanimate objects. However, they can have beneficial uses. Such as defending freedom, or your life & the lives of your loved ones.
    That article, while tragic, is aberrant behavior & should never be considered by law makers as characteristic of the populations they represent.

9. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

[Gary, please don't draw connections between legitimate FMA groups and the actions of one crazed lunatic. - Stuart]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2007
  10. sangot

sangot New Member

..all blades are dangerous

11. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

I think kitchen knife is much dangerous.... :D

12. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

I can kill with a toothbrush.

should we ban those too?

13. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Yes sir, from what I have read China is doing just that, with poison in the paste. :eek:

Swords and slaying and killing has been around for along time.

The thing about this whole story. It was derailed and my reason for posting in the first place was sent adrift. :cry:

See, I had an ulterior motive...Pat can understand :p

If I had played it closer to the cuff it would have worked.

Oh Well... Can I ever use the term?

Gary

14. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

heard this over the radio newscast last monday night. happened in the south of luzon actually. when asked by the police/reporters the assailant said he really doesn't know what triggered his actions. btw, death count is 9.

about banning of swords/knives... knowing his area, most people are either fishermans or farmers. they really depend on their bolos especially those making a living from the mountains.

who's dangerous? i'd like to think its the person, not the weapons.

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Oddly, Gary, I thought we'd hashed this out via PM already. But since you seem intent on doing this out in the open: Your ulterior motive was based on your apparent dislike of the use of the word "amok" by a certain FMA training group. While the use of the word "amok" would have been perfectly appropriate intially, you chose to link to that group's website and then to suggest, in no uncertain terms, that they therefore condoned murderous rampages. I told you (repeatedly) that it was irresponsible to implicate a legitimate training group with the actions of a lunatic based on nothing more substantial than their choice of a name.

Now, if you wanted to start a thread on how inappropriate the name was for an FMA training group, that would have been one thing. But why link it to this tragic story when the criminal in it has nothing to do with the training group?

I've asked you cordially. (Perhaps I've been cordial to a fault.) I've asked you bluntly. Now I'm telling you. Persist in this and I'll have your account suspended. Plain enough?

Stuart

16. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

To all,
    Sorry for the misunderstanding and the way it went regarding this thread.

To Moderator:
    I explained my position and we had agreed. The reason for my behavior is that the contact on that group is not up and running.

I am not sure why you felt my position was so terrible to you. The term is pretty conclusive.

I thought a yes or no would have been good. My question to you is and was legit, I thought.

Suspension is one way to handle it, I guess. You would know better than I.

Sorry it had to go to this level. Cordial can never be to a fault. IMHO...

Regards, Gary

17. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Well, in the wrong hands any weapon is leathal, and lets be honest here, swords and knives are leathal weapons.

I do not agree they should be banned, after all so may people enjoy the honest practice of martial arts with them, and there are also many collectors out there that also enjoy just simply looking at them.

But I would not be against some kind of licencing system, after all people have no objection to owning a licence for a gun, I can see no reason why we should object to owning a licence for a sword, after all they can do the same thing as a gun, be used for recreation or be used to kill.

I know it will not stop the bad guys gaining swords, but at least it would make it that little bit harder, and if by licencing it stops one fool using it for the wrong reasons, then that is one reason enough for me.

Best regards

Pat

18. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Pat,

One of the things I find interesting is the nonchalant attitude of giving up freedoms that seem to come up in your neck of the woods. We in America seem to be going that way also. Needing to register a sword is pretty sad.

The idea of registration is nothing more than money and control. The way it is in America the control is lost to the street thugs.

I feel we are going to see the group of Al Quaida recruiting the gangs of lawless and prone to commiting crime receiving money to do it more. For we have a huge group of poor who have no hope and will be easy to target IMHO

http://www.religion-cults.com/Islam/islam6.html

Have you witnessed that problem in the UK?
    If it does occur here in the US, it is going to get bloody I figure.

Gary

19. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

Being and american (redneck from the south!)
    and living in the UK for the last 7 years...

There is a huge difference in mentalities concerning the issues of banning weapons of certain types.
    When I first moved here,god forbid if you defended your own home! YOU would get prison because some dork thinks criminals have more rights than law abiding citizens.
    That has changed a bit now to the more positive side.
    I talked with a LEO in hastings a few years back and he admitted that things like pepper spray,asp batons and stun guns were actually illegal so they wouldn't be used against the police.Not the citizens.
    You also have the problem of a massive nanny state.
    The government KNOWS BEST!
    In america,we are shown and taught what happens if you use things the wrong way.
    Y'all remember the accident films from drivers ed when you were in school?!
    Fat chance of getting those over here! The GOVERNMENT also knows the truth is bad and citizens are too sensitive to be exposed to those things.
    NOW...
    Lets add in cultures who come to this country who DON'T give a damn about the law or anyone else.
    Example; Temil Tigers from Sri Lanka.
    The Sri Lankan street gangs fight here because they know they can get away with it. In there own country...they'd get thier head kicked by thier own police on the streets! Here...no chance.
    All the scum from other countries want to come here because they can live like the wild west of old.
    It has gone on for so long,the government is now screwed. They can't deal with the fluxuations of crime because they made the mistake of catering for other cultures. When in Rome....... that doesn't apply here.
    It is a sad thought to have to license swords and the like, but let's look at the US...
    Out of OVER 21,000 gun laws, ONE has worked(or at least come close)...
    arm everybody,legally. Then if someone gets caught out because they are illegal,then THEY get dealt with. NOT the law abiding citizen.
    They refuse to acknowledge that idea over here.
    And they definately have let it go on way too long to try and reverse things at this stage.
    The next generation won't save us; thier kids will.
    But as long as you have greed,poverty,class devides(which is still world wide)
    None of these problems will ever go away.

But we have to start somewhere.......

Damien

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  20. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

awful incident. R.I.P to his victims

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.