Sword Experience

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by JediMasterChris, Jul 27, 2003.

1. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I was just wondering if any of you had any experience with any type of sword, and if so what art/arts did you learn to use it in? And what type of sword do you use?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2003
  2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Yep, Wacked and poked people.

A little Kendo, a little western fencing, and I've studied all the star wars movies to learn the Jedi Arts

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yep - lots of whacking and poking here too (Oooh errr missus)

Lots of FMA

Some Iai

A fair bit of fencing but not for a long time

A fair bit of pratting about with plastic lightsabres making "vooooom - vooooooom" noises :D

4. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

Never underestimate the power of plastic lightsabres, especially when weilded by someone making "vooooom - vooooooom" noises :D They can be deadly. Yoda is an expert with the plastic lightsabre. Do not underestimate him.

5. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

I have about 3 years of SCA fighting using shinais for light contact and rattan for more contact.
    using them as a facsimily for knives, daggers, shortswords swords, longswords, and great swords.
    I'm rather good with great sword.

Oh god not PLASTIC LIGHTSABERS
    *runs screaming away remembering little cousins with them attacking*

6. teacher

teacher Valued Member

I started with western fencing foil, epee and sabre.
    Then I did some FMA, a good way to open your eyes to using weapons. Since then I have got a chinese straight sword and curved broadsword and I have seen some forms and recognised some useful techniques but i haven't had the chance to train with anyone who used them regularly. There's a lot of good material out there but I dont really see them as particularly relevant nowadays.

7. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

All I know about SCA is that you do reinactments and dress up like vikings. Could you tell me some more about your Martial Art cudgel, how do you spar, etc?

8. Cudgel

I'm not to terribly good at explaining things. BUt you can go to www.sca.org

9. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Thanks, you explained it quite well on ICQ so I get it now.

I will check out that link.

10. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

I'm the Newbie to this list....

Under my Kung Fu Sifu I went from Kung Fu broadsword waving, to FMA stick bashing.
    I now find myself studying European Martial arts particularily the training weapon that was used to teach the Broadsword in Scotland: the Single-stick.

Louie

11. wutan

wutan Valued Member

Hi Jedimasterchris,
    I'm currently learning a Wu style Tai Chi sword form,unlike the spear and sabre/broadsword forms which are classed as 'Tiger' forms the Straight Sword is more delicate and elegant in its appearance and practise.
    It is a relatively long form which takes the practitioner over a pretty wide area of ground.
    The empty hand is held with two fingers protruding with the thumb holding other two fingers in place.
    The two pointing fingers were said to have been used to strike vital points on the opponents body or represented a dagger of some description.
    It is a great form to learn and builds internal energy through its practise.
    Regards,
    Wutan

12. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Yep, I have some experience with a Chein too, I do Sun Style Tai Chi, it has alot of similarities with BGZ. But the main swords I use are Katana and Wakasashi. I did have a plastic lightsaber when I was younger but my dog chewed on it when he was teething and my mom threw it away... :cry:

Oh, and welcome to the forum you two. :D

Last edited: Jul 30, 2003
  13. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

fencing, is that real martial arts, I've done CMA sword patterns so I'm really good! (on my own at least :rolleyes: )

ps I'd like to crosstrain with some Jedi Arts! :)

14. Cudgel

one of theses days oing to haqve to travel to the UK and Scottland, just so i can sparr with your freaks. :)
    And maybe travlel to Indiana and wack JediMasterChris with a lightsaber or two.
    And run screaming away from Yoda.

15. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Bring it on!!! I'll be waiting! :eek:

Silly Viking. I'm a Jedi Master Samurai.

:D:D:D

Last edited: Aug 1, 2003
  16. Cudgel

Wewll if you didnt know this everybody in Europe was scared well you know of the Vikings and you know why?

Its because our parties get so out of control entire villages burn to the ground.

And rember pillage THEN burn :)

17. tomek

tomek New Member

I have trained Hwarangdo/ Farangmusul, also some Shimgumdo and ken jitsu. For me the most advanced was Shimgumdo and Farangmusul stuff coming from M.DeAlba.

18. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

Japanese Sword, Style: Kashima-Shinryu Kenjutsu

19. oldcelt

oldcelt New Member

Shinai, Longsword, Shortsword, Katana, Bokken........as you can see both eastern and western styles.....

20. Cudgel

eastern and western weapons do not for a eastern or western style make. I know thins becasue I use a shinai to pratcie a Western style.