Switching Arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Pompeythegreat, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

I have recently had a change in schedual that has allowed me to make time for a new art.

So I am a 16 year old male who is currently training in Judo. I am mainly interested in Martial arts for the compeditive aspect so my choice would have to be that. I enjoy grappeling (or in my case crappling) and I would like to get good at that, while at the same time I want my striking skills to stay up to par. So as such here are the options in my area:

BJJ - Lots
    MMA - Lots
    Muay Thai - Boatloads
    Boxing - a few
    Wrestling - a few
    Sanshou/Sanda - Suck on that Seventh

Some arts that I am not interested in are:
    Kung Fu in general (other than Sanshou), and any Karate at all.

So given the above information what would you choose?

And Hannibal you are too far away sorry.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  2. sampla

sampla Valued Member

mma are the rules, not style

the mostly used in mma is the combination of muay thai, sport jiujitsu, wrestling, boxing

3. Pompeythegreat

I am aware, but I have schools such as Champions Creed MA that specifically teach for MMA and that's what I was refering to. Please dont treat me like an idiot.

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If you want to keep working on your grappling but also fit in some striking, one of the MMA schools might be your best bet.

5. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

You can always try kajukenbo, its a mixed martial art containing, Karate, Jiu Jitsu or Judo (i forgot which one, usually depends), kenpo karate, chinese boxing (wu shu), and some schools include escrima too.

6. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

It depends what you want to do with your martial arts. You said you like competition, but how far do you want to go?

You could get more Judo time in, and push for the big Judo comps.

Your Judo could give you a good take down advantage in BJJ.

Depending how good your Judo is it could help with MMA, but generally I think for Judo to shine in an MMA setting your Judo has to be very very good, not sure how you'd hold up against wrestlers who are used to being half naked when they fight ;op

But ultimately its up to you to decide what direction you want your MA to go, you've got a grappling art under your belt, do you want to compliment that with a different kind of grappling - which could both help each other. Or do you want to add a striking art to more solidify your overall game?

I'd say it depends on where you want to end up?

7. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Try a bunch of places, see what you enjoy doing.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I know that for my regular classes.....but wait! What's this? Hannibal now has his garage converted with wall to wall Judo mats?

Interesting.......

Actually very little of what I teach would fit "competitive" (unless you want to consider the Dog Brothers competitive of course).

For what you are looking for Champions Creed would probably be a good fit for you - Brad Cardinal is a friend of mine and I know he is teaching private sessions so if that interests you let me know and I will make contact

9. Pompeythegreat

So at this point I think that I have narrowed my options down to MMA or BJJ, both being supplimented by breaking into Hannibals garage and punching things. Thanks all! I'm going to check out a couple of gyms. And I will get back to you layet.

10. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

You will have fun judoing the mma guys for a while

'Till they learn all your secret judo skilz

11. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Why are you opposed to the idea of karate? Are all the dojos around you mcdojos?

12. Pompeythegreat

No, I have been doing Karate of various styles for the last eight years, I just don't train for the same reasons as before, and I'm not getting what I used to from it.

13. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Most likely because its stand up and we dont grapple. We wouldnt have anything muchfora person who loves the earth as a weapon.

I'd say do MMA. They have a bit of everything. :)