Sweeping advice?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Xoxi, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Xoxi

Xoxi Valued Member

I dont even know the name of the technique I want advice on! :eek:

Its a spinning sweep, like a crouched spinning hook kick? This move is in one of my kihons, and I am just hopeless at it. Can't get any power... I'm sure if I tried this sparring and connected, it would be me who fell over not the other guy. :bang:

But since its in my kihon (and in every Jackie Chan movie), it must be a working technique if its done right...

Can anyone help?

2. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

why spin, when you can just do the hook kick?

all the spin will do is look pretty (as in the movies), rather then be more effective. though there is a chance you may increase speed with your added twirling, more then likely you are opening yourself up for attack.

coming from a kung fu perspective, if someone did a spinning sweep kick, i would either...

A. kick them over
    B. kick thier stationary lag, toppling them over
    C. step away
    D. step to the side
    E. kick them in the head
    F. jump
    G. kick thier spinning lag as it is rotating, cutting off its power and causing damage to an uncomfortable/soft location

why give up your guard and open yourself up to an attack? the best opportunity to attack someone is when their back is turned hehe, because they cannot see your movements!

3. SoujiroLeo

SoujiroLeo New Member

are you talking bout those cliche moves used in movies ? whereby someone crouches down and delivers a "kick" to the back of the opponents ankles/legs causing the opponent to fall down ?

just my 2 cents but i don't think that move is practical at all

4. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

it doesn't work... unless the other person is very off balance, and you have legs like tree trunks... it is just flashy pap - if you don't believe me, make a solid stance and get someone who is supposed to be able to do it, to try to sweep you with it... i bet you that they hurt themselves

5. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

If i am correct and its the same as my style then the kihon is something he needs to do to acheive his next grade.

Kihons are pre set like kata (bad example but its preset) however done with a partner they include joint locks etc they work on distancing.

Its not something he can alter if his sensei decides to use it in the syllabus for him to pass his next grade wheither you beleive it works or not.

I'm not aware theyre are any kihons that we do that have a spinning sweep in them however i do need to revise them. perhaps you could explain the exact steps to me it might trigger my memory?.

sam

6. Shuri

Shuri Valued Member

Generally this is a sweep thrown in combination with a lead leg sweep isnt it?
    For example they are leading left and you are leading right. You use your right leg to sweep out their left, crouch down and spinning sweep taking out their back leg?

This works nice if your initial sweep does its job of taking them off balance, BUT its still unneccessary, you could just hit them or throw them while they are off balance.

This spinning sweep is a common defense against a high kick. They kick high, crouch down and under the kick while sweeping.

How is it presented in the Kihon. Is the attacker standing feet together, in a front stance, or what? Knowing how you and the attacker is positioned would help give some insight into how you could better apply the technique?

But something to keep in mind is a sweep is not a kick, the motion should be that of your leg "pulling" their leg out from under them. Not "kicking" their leg out from under them. (based on my experience/teachings, your system may be different though)

7. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Well, I have seen those that could do that sweep very well, however, spinning reaping sweeps like this if not done safely (which is difficult to do) can take out a knee very easily in competitions (and it has, that's why it is illegal most of the time to use that sweep in tournaments). Not something I would expect in a kihon.

Anyway, positioning and timing is key to sweeps as much as the technique. There are three basic ways to sweep. 1) sweep the front foot towards their back foot (so feet go together) and unbalance them. 2) sweep/reap the front foot away from the back foot (so that it is to the side causing them to do the splits) and unbalance them. Or 3) put something behind their leg and unbalance them so that they basically trip and fall over.

With version 1. sweep, to move the front foot towards the back foot, this really only works if the opponent does not have much weight on the foot. You can do this as they have their foot in the air to move towards you, or if they are in cat stance, or have their foot up to kick. It does not matter just so long as they don't have much weight on the foot at the time you sweep them. If they have a lot of weight on the front foot, you probably won't be able to move it and the sweep will fail.

With version 2. reaping sweep, to make them do the splits, it helps if they have equal weight or more on the foot you are trying to sweep. Hook their ankle and reap the leg out to their side in the same direction they would move their leg to do the splits. Take care to not leave yourself in a position that they can fall on your leg and injure you.

The reaping sweeps like the spinning one you describe are very dangerous to train and use both for the target and for yourself because of the potential for injury to the knees.

If you are going to do those sweeps, I suggest training them with people that know how to take the fall. Otherwise, change it up to a scissors takedown (which is a trip type sweep) because that takedown is safer to practice and it is also very cool to watch being done when it works.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  8. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Don't trust ethnic minorities.

(You didn't say it had to be good advice :D )

9. TheHeianKid

TheHeianKid New Member

Xoxi
    Which Seido kihon? I do Seido in Wgtn (currently 3rd kyu). I should be able to check our kyu grade manual.

10. Alex_JHH

Alex_JHH Cardboard Tube Samurai

The only time I've seen someone use that kick, the guy it was aimed at just stepped over it, looked down at his oponent, pushed him over with his foot, and aimed a finishing strike at his throat with the edge of his foot (sorry, it's been a while and I can't remember the name of the technique)

11. Xoxi

Xoxi Valued Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

@THK - its kihon #7.
    @Rebel Wado - Reaping sweep is a good description. The move is at the end of a set form, we only occassionally do this with opponents and they know its coming.

Watching Jackie Chan do this move he spins a full 360 at speed, and it looks very strong. So I know it can be done well but dont ask me how... :confused:

Anyway the kihon ends with a side kick, back kick, "normal" sweep, then the reaping sweep, then a punch. So this spins you 520deg in one direction. And I have found that the last sweep doesnt work. Experience tells me when something doesnt work that its me at fault, not the technique. But seems like everyone else has trouble too!

12. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

It's called having a script witter and choreography on your side.

13. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

As far as I know, all sweeps are called "Ashi barai" Regardless of wether they are spinning, reverse or standard.
    And I have used this technique on an opponent who attacked wildly. It wouldnt work against a real grounded opponent. Just leave you wide open for a smack in the teeth.

14. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

Kani Basami?

15. heiwa

heiwa Valued Member

We use many styles of ashi barai in Nanbudo and when practiced and carried out with the correct technique and timing they can be very effective.
    The most important thing to remember when sweeping is to use the stances weakness against it.
    It is also important to sweep with, and against the correct body part.

And as stated it is important that your training partner is able to properly breakfall ad protect themself against the sweeps.

16. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I personally found doing spinning kicks you need to whip you upper bopdy around then flick the hips around for it to really work.

17. karate P.belt 2

karate P.belt 2 New Member

meh it's ok for self-defense purposes as long as the guy knows **** about MA cause then you might beable to sweep him and he might get impressed and ruun (1 of my friends had both happen ^^) so it's not completley useless however I have no tips