"Sweat it out"

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by chrispy, Apr 27, 2005.

1. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

As a kid my dad was big on the phrase "sweat it out" whenever him, my brother or I would start to get a cold.. or have a cold for that matter.

I really have no real opinion on whether this actually works, I mean every cold lasts a different lenght of time and effects people different ways.

Anyone have thoughts on 'sweating out a cold' to get rid of it?

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

3. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

While I've never been a weightlifter per sae, I would have to agree with most of the stuff in that article. Usually it's winter when you've got a cold and we'd go play hockey at the local rink or whatever and once you got going when sick I seemed to stay at the top of my game longer than when I was feeling normal.

As far as MA's go I did one 4 hour grading while on the tail end of a cold and thinking back, it was probably one of my better days at Karate (the last 1/2 i was dead though i remember that) as far as endurance goes, though that may be more because I was pacing myself to last rather than going full bore the entire time...

anyway... any more thoughts?

4. ebrigham

ebrigham Valued Member

"sweating it out" definately does not work for me unfortunately. Unless I am jacked up on Advil Cold and Sinus (or something similar), my performance is pretty poor across all activities (MA, lifting, work, etc). And any peri/post workout euphoria soon turns into feeling crappy again - usually worse than before. Good old fashioned rest seems to work the best for me.

Now for hangovers - a good work out generally improves my condition!