Surviving Knife Attack

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Paul Genge, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

In this article I discuss some of the drills and principles used by systema students to learn how to survive against an opponent armed with a knife. The article also includes a short video clip showing some of the drills, defence when pinned to a wall and defence against slashes and stabs.

Enjoy.

Paul Genge
    Russian Martial Arts Northwest

2. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Nice article...

3. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Why the heck do people rip Systema so much? That site as far as I can tell has consistantly produced numerous excellent articles that not only take into account nearly all the variables of a situation and the proper form of a technique they are informative and could scarcely be written better!

4. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Usually they misinterpret what they see and then compare it to there own training which in most cases doesn’t include Systema!!

5. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

Because the techniques are done slowly in the internet clips. So it is though they are ineffective. The clips are not shown in context.

6. JFS USA

JFS USA New Member

Mostly it's a "Rites of Passage" thing ... New Kid on the block is going to get challenged, put down, whatever ...

Just a phase and so long as Systema continues to produce more positive results than negative it will emerge as an accepted and honored way of doing things.

Everyone has to pay their dues ... no free ride.

Any Systema Adepts in the Maryland area kindly contact me. I'm hosting a monthly Throwdown (see Bullshido for guidelines) in my Kwoon ... all are welcome ... check your ego at the door ... and come inside for some play as rough as you determine you want it.

7. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

JFS, you should PM xplasma as he lives in Maryland. . .... don't know how far from you though.

8. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

Thanks for the positive feedback. :)

As far as I can make out there are two main reasons for people with no experience of the system choosing to slate it.

The 1st is lazy buisness. It is easier to slag the opposition than put the effort into explaining the positive aspects of their style. :bang:

The 2nd is that they practice a martial art with a lower skill level. I am not saying these styles are not effective in their own approach, but simply their understanding of what can be acheived is less than practicioners on some other arts. These people then look at clips and form opinions based on their limited knowledge or what their instructors tell them is effective.

This is the reason that I now prefer not to place clips on the web without some sort of explanation of what is going on. Articles have proved to be the best way of achieving this and in the future I will be writing more.

Paul Genge

9. TheCount

Well near the end am I the only one who was wondering about the big sorta THUMP/BANG noise you hear when the guy gets hit lol... I think they are a bit more real than you think heheh

10. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

The techniques are real. But people via the internet do not think so. I have classes so I know it is good stuff.

11. DCombatives

DCombatives Valued Member

Knife Fighting

I realize everyone thinks they are the only people who know what "real" knife fighting is like, but unlike most, I get the opportunity to try different techniques on uncooperative opponents who's attitude is "prove to me this actually works" as opposed to "the master has all the answers" on a regular basis. I don't know if you've ever trained anyone in the law enforcement community before, but you had better have your stuff squared away if you do because they love to prove you're wrong. I've been doing it for a long time now, and I enjoy a pretty solid reputation with the cops. As a result, I feel pretty comfortable in offering an informed opinion on the subject.

Looking at the clips, I see some good things, and some not so good things. The evasion drills for the slashing attacks are a good way to get people to learn to get out of the way, however, the counters and disarms are lacking in that the defender fails to control the weapon. Without control, any attempt at defense or takeaway is useless and will result in the defender getting severely injured. Then there's the drills that focus on finding the flat of the blade. Nice theory; completely useless in practice and likely to get you killed. However, the drills also seem to emphasize counter-attacking, which is the crucial key most weapons defenses lack. If you don't give the attacker's brain something else to think about, you will not get the weapon away and will probably die. You must counter-attack early and often for any type of unarmed defense against a weapon to work, and these guys seem to be aware of that need. All they really need to do is modify their techniques to control the blade. Overall, I'd say they get a barely passing grade.

12. Lord Spooky

Just thought I'd point out that Paul Genge is a serving LEO ;)

13. DCombatives

If that's the case, then I'm frightened for any officers he might be training and his own safety. As a martial artist trying to do his best what I saw on his clip was ok; as a professional however, he should know better.

14. Lord Spooky

Just for my interest DCombative what's you experience and understanding of Systema training?

ta

15. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

DCcombatives,

I'm curious. If you are such hot property maybe you could post some footage of you doing your work. Honest I am curious. Also post your real name and location. If your that good I will make the trip to learn from a real master.....

Thanks,

Paul Genge

16. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

And you're an authority on this?? Read his other articles, the guy knows his stuff..

The clip is a training video of a Systema lesson, not a video of cops training :bang:

17. MrHnau

MrHnau New Member

Paul, I'm curious... is there any full speed video of these techniques? I'd love seeing it full speed. I think that might be helpful. I enjoyed seeing it and reading the article. That article was great :)

MrH

18. Fighter4Higher

Fighter4Higher Dark man of the unknown

Some of the best knife defenses I've ever seen.

19. TheCount

Well I'm sure mate that all the Spetznaz and so on in the Russian Army or any units for that matter train in Systema will weep because they are so utterly defenceless :D
    In case you didn't notice I only think there is one occasion where the blade isn't being controled and on that occasion the attacker has just been decked and isn't going to know where he is for at least 10 seconds.

20. DCombatives

As a matter of fact, I am an authority on the subject. And it was someone else who pointed out to me that Mr. Genge is cop. From the little I've read so far, I believe him to be genuine and committed to furthering the arts. I also suggest that his orginal posting was done to solicit critical feedback with an eye toward improving his own system.