Suitable martial art for +35 years

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mohammad, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

Hello all,
    Wish You're doing great

I'M asking about the suitable martial art i can exercise although i am 35 years old with mid-fit

Thanks for you

2. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Many of us are older than you!

I expect you could start most martial arts at 35. The important things are training intelligently, including building up gradually, and finding a school that you like.

Check out different schools near you. Then pick whichever you like most, with classes that are convenient for you to get to. A school you enjoy is one you’ll stick with.

You might like Sang H Kim’s Martial Arts After 40 book.

3. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Well...at 35....pick one or two or more and see which ones or one you like and go for it

4. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

I already exercise aikido but need another martial art similar to exercise and suitable for my mid-fit

5. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Just set the bar slightly higher conditionally than you are doing now, means you will improve your overall fitness. So I would step outside your comfortzone and try something more intense.

6. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

You could consider BJJ as it has similar (distant!) roots to aikido in Japanese jiu jitsu. An advantage BJJ has over some arts is that it is full-on - you will be pushed hard physically and get fit - but without being punched repeatedly in the head like you might be with Muay Thai or western boxing. It is a good art for an older martial artist. It works your strength and cardio hard. Your existing knowledge of breakfalls and joint locks will be applicable after a while. Most clubs will offer a free tryout session.

7. Old bloke

Old bloke Active Member

Hi Mo, 1st I would see what is available in your area, do some research on the arts available, go along visit each training centre, watch or take part, as many do a free lesson or even cheap trial periods, check out the online reviews.
    I would also ask yourself what you want to achieve, would you like to try an art that introduces you to kicks, or grappling/wrestling, would you like to use more or different weapons, and take your time with your thoughts and desicions.
    Don't worry about the small things, you will, after a short time fit in, or your age, as mentioned many of us are older than yourself, I myself started a new art when I was 48

8. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I agree, with what has been said: Take a look, at what you might like, visit and try classes, stay if you like it.

Maybe I am deluded or something but 35 shouldn't be an age, where there should be any problems learning certain arts, unless - maybe- there are certain health restrictions already present.

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

bjj.

Mohammad likes this.
  10. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

My area has bjj,aikido,mma,judo,karate,boxing,wing chun,taekwando.
    But most of them need the younger ages because they easy to build and form them as the needs

Other way,beside aikido i am confused about the art may support ut,between striking way or grappling way

11. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

My area has bjj,aikido,mma,judo,karate,boxing,wing chun,taekwando.
    But most of them need the younger ages because they easy to build and form them as the needs

Other way,beside aikido i am confused about the art may support ut,between striking way or grappling way

About health restrictions i am a diabetic 25 years ago,have semi-frozen shoulders & semi-frozen hips joints

12. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Exercise like martial arts is important for your health (provided you manage your blood glucose levels appropriately). Exercise has many benefits for people with diabetes, as you probably know.

Regarding frozen joints, can you get advice from a sports physician or physiotherapist?

13. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

Of course i know the importance and benefits of martial arts specially for diabetics

I already visited the physiotherapist
    Only he did some massage and ultrasonic therapy with no important advices

14. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I don't understand your last sentence; can you clarify what you mean?

I've only done a little Aikido, so maybe someone else can help... From my limited experience, you will mostly learn grappling in Aikido. The class I went to didn't include any training in striking, but the teacher told us that we would generally have to incorporate strikes to make it work 'in the real world'. (Generally as a set-up/distraction to allow you to apply a grappling technique.)

15. Hapki54

Hapki54 New Member

I recommend Hap Ki Do but most Arts will complement any study you have. Best of luck and keep us informed on your journey.

16. Morik

I think I may have misread your question--were you asking about striking vs grappling in the ones other than Aikido? (I misread it as asking about Aikido, sorry.)

bjj: all grappling (80-95% ground, 5-20% standing, depends on school/teacher)
    mma: mix of striking & grappling. Different schools/teachers may focus more on one than the other, but both will be involved.
    ,judo: all grappling (80-95% standing up, 5-20% ground, is a general approximation, depends on school/teacher)
    karate: Generally striking, though there may be some styles that incorporate grappling. (I'm not very knowledgeable about Karate though, so I could very well be wrong here.)
    boxing: All striking
    wing chun: not sure
    taekwando: all striking

17. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

It means when i went to any of these martial art at my present age they told me they only accept the age between 15 to 25

18. Hapki54

Hapki54 New Member

That is good for you because any school that has that kind of limitations is not worth you time.

Mitch and Monkey_Magic like this.
  19. Morik

Huh, I have never experienced that (and started back into martial arts when I was 30 or so).
    Boxing, judo, bjj, and mma are all things I've looked into in my local area, and it seems pretty common for people over 25 to train in them (at least in my area).
    You may want to check a few more gyms/dojos, maybe some of them don't have such a restriction. I would find it very odd if all the martial arts gyms/dojos available in your location turn away people over 25.

Dead_pool and Monkey_Magic like this.
  20. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

Thanks for the information

Also,I meant which one of them can support my aikido skills