Sugar: The Bitter Truth

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by CosmicFish, Aug 8, 2009.

1. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

A lecture by Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics.

It's 90 mins long, so if you're not into nutrition then it's probably best to skip it. If you are, then there's a ton of useful information in here and it'll certainly give you few things to think about.

The take home message for me was how much of a difference cleaning up your diet, as opposed to simple calorie manipulation, will have on body composition. It also lends support to the assertion, often thrown around, that a "clean bulk" will put less fat on you than a "see food" diet.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM"]YouTube - Sugar: The Bitter Truth[/ame]

2. embra

embra Valued Member

The Bio-Chemistry in this vid is very heavy - but thats a good thing - hes not pussy-footing around with simplistic explanations.

I've watched it once, and Im going to watch it a second time to take in more of the detail.

My one critisism of what he is saying, is that he does not tell us enough about what we should be eating and the dietary changes we should make. His descriptions of the esential bio-chemistry of human nutrition is excellent.

Myself, I have steadily lost weight over the last 4 years, cutting out salt almost altogether, heavy reduction in fats and addition of oily fish and omega 3-6-9 supplements; which has all been validated by consistently improved lipid profil tests.

My final frontier is his big enemy - sugar. I am reducing my sugar intake, but not aggressively enough. If he is saying that fruit is bad for us (because of the fructose), then what are we to consume?

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Interesting talk. Thanks for posting.

4. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Thanks for the feedback, and I agree that it would have been good if he suggested what we should be eating. I suspect he didn't because he was lecturing uni students rather than making a presentation specifically for the public.

Right at the end he mentions fruit and says it's ok to eat fruit because the fructose is all bound up with a large amount of fibre. Plus any damage the fructose does is partly offset by the vits, mins and other micronutrients you'll be getting.

BTW, I'm impressed by anyone taking 90 mins out of their time to sit though it! :cool: