Subtle wind Kung fu Founder USA, Hello

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by subtlewind, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subtlewind

subtlewind Banned Banned

I,m founder 36years old I live in USA

any questions feel free to ask

2. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

What makes your style different from others and what sort of background did you draw on to found it?

3. subtlewind

subtlewind Banned Banned

a little about subtle wind kung fu

If I had to put it in a category it would be more related to southern styles of kung fu , such as Jook lum,chow gar, Yun mun kun,Bak mei,wing chun
    and many more. it,s not any of those styles but may some times have slight similarties

one thing that makes my system a little different is the standard punch is the phoenix eye fist favored over the flat fist type strikes

I also have unique theorys ,philosophys , and so on my style only uses low kicks and thats usually rare.

thank you for asking

4. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

You wouldn't happen to have any videos of your style in action would you?

5. subtlewind

subtlewind Banned Banned

Videos

I,m in the process of getting a good video camera and putting some videos
    together. I ,m still trying to decide what i want to do with my system.

I have considered making an online school

6. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

welcome to MAP!
    Good Luck

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  7. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Hi,subtlewind.Welcome to MAP.

From your advertisement--- " this is a new Kung Fu system Influenzed by Sourthern Kung Fu styles such as ,wing chun,Bak mei, Chow gar, Jook Lum and several other plus alot of original Material created in the Usa. "

You state your system is medium to close range system which naturally I'd expect with those systems' influences. What components/influences of these individual systems are present?

What types of things comprise the USA material?

I must ask about this---

" Founder Walton Clint Hopkins has deciede to teach Soley Online to acess many people. To Join You must email walton clint Hopkins at _______To get an address To send a Gift donation of $35.00 to join and this cover the first Rank Certificate and Yellow sash, after you sttudy the orange sash material you will send another Gift Donation of $35.00 for the Certificate and Sash/belt. There is no monthly charge there is nothing for sale and this is not a buisiness . "

Seems like a fee,and from your description it seems as if there may be a fee for each level. Calling it a "gift donation" is no different than when a band plays for a cause of some kind and there's a certain amount of dollars required as a "donation" to get in. It's the price of admission,a fee. You may charge no monthly fee,but you're taking in money.As you say it's not a business do you have non-profit status?

This--

" . You will be learnind a wealth of knowledge rapid fire pressure point punches at higher belts and pressure point strikes...."

Doesn't point training require hands on instruction and experimentation? It's not something which can be learned or practiced in isolation,it needs two people.

As you've founded a new system it is inevitable that you're going to be asked your background so it might as well be me who asks-

What systems have you studied,for how long and with whom?

Thanks.

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

This was posted while I was writing my post.

It appears from the ad I quoted from you have already started your online school.

Your phoenix eye fist,from Chu Gar? Or Chow Gar,Tsoi Gar etc various spellings.

9. subtlewind

subtlewind Banned Banned

The info you found was my first attempt at starting an online school. I been giving it much thought . I started to do it then i had some set backs. now i,m strongly considering going forward with the school again. with your other question as to the American material . Mainly has to do with The American Mindset as opossed to an Asian Mind set.
    and some of my ideas theorys etc is also a reflection of that thought.

here is some information on my system a while back maybe this will give you an idea of it. like alot of kung fu there is the mystique of secrets . i have adopted this i have some ideas i will only teach to advanced students. This info is just a small idea of subtle wind not the whole picture

What is Subtle Wind kung fu

Subtle Wind Kung fu was founded in 2005 in Southeast Texas . If you try to catogorize this sytem based on the system structure of Northern chinese kung fu styles and southern kung fu styles it would probably be much closer related to a southern kung fu style with hints and subtle flavors of Northern . Subtle wind is a centerline based system with new USA original made ideas without sacrficing time honored fighting knowledge. Subtle wind is a mix of medium to short power system or you could say medium range power to some times inch power range system composed of explosive viloent simetanious attack and block strikes.the inch power range is taught at more advanced levels and requires longer time to master. The phoenix eye fist is the most common strike in my system although it is one of many used such as,double phoenix eye,lepoard,snake like finger strikes,lion paw, palm strikes,tiger strikes just to name a few. In Subtle wind you do not kick above the waist
    kicks are a secondary tool to be used as a back up attack or defense. there are five base foundation kicks. subtle wind uses one predominant stance for walking and retreating from an oppoent. There is also several walking stance variations to deal with different situations.all strikes are aimed at pressure points which result in varying outcomes from the strike depending on how powerful your strike was,how accurate your strike was and how you struck the pressure point.There are short to medium forms in the system forms are very important for not only training but to sucessfully transmit the style to another person.There are sets used for training. There are also drills used to practice to learn how to adapt to a situation and how you could react. there is an arm training excercise that may appear like sticky hands from wing chun. but is completely different and unique to subtle wind as far as I know.there are a handful of pure selfdefense movements such as how to get out of a choke or head lock etc.there are

10. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

So how long have you been doing kung fu?

11. subtlewind

subtlewind Banned Banned

I got interested in Kung fu at probably five I started to search out a school i wanted to devote my life to at fourteen.this search lasted over 10 years , overall I been doing kung fu over twenty years.

12. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

How can you effectivly teach a martial art via the internet?

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

For a deposit of £99.99 and monthly payments of £34.99 I'd be happy to show you my secrets... :yeleyes:

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Obviously with you being a Ninja we'd have to go to Japan for the final lesson. Other wise we wouldn't be doing true Ninjutsu. :evil:

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Oooh! Burn!!!!

16. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Nah, don't believe that rubbish, I have the One True Ninjerjutsu™ and seeing as you're you, I'll waive the deposit in your case... :)

17. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

So if my math is correct you founded your system (2005) after studying for +/- 13 years? Not implying you ceased outside studies after founding your system.

So you've been developing it over this period,I would figure.Have you taught anyone in person during these years?

Why do you prefer to teach online rather than hands on? Or do you envision it as something for experienced people? Just thinking about beginners, it's pretty rough for MA "virgins" to get things without immediate feedback/corrections on basic errors.

I'd still like to know what,how long,and with whom you've studied. You mention some interesting systems.Well,interesting to me anyway.

18. shootodog

shootodog restless native

What systems have you studied? For fow long? With which teacher? What rank? You see Kung Fu is very lineage oriented.

19. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I hadn't realised you were so cheap. :Angel:

20. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Welcome to MAP!

Unfortunately, as I tend to do to everyone who comes to MAP having started a new system, I have to ask a few questions:

1. How long have you spent training under the various systems you combined to form a new one, and what ranks did you attain in each?
    2. You were by my reckoning 28 years old when you founded your new system - is this not a bit young to be starting your own system? Most training as a child is not as effective as training in adulthood because of various factors, therefore I would estimate your total likely equivalent training time at about 10-12 years by the time you created your style - not much for founding a new system
    3. What about your system actually required a significant deviation from an existing style to justify its existence? If another system is out there which has similar qualities, why not learn something more established rather than creating a new system
    4. Who will you be training under while teaching other people your new system? Will you continue to grade in the old systems?
    5. How have you developed your syllabus? What sort of techniques do you teach at each level (overview is fine, no need for massive detail)?

In addition, as you plan to offer online tuition:

1. What evidence do you have that online learning works at all for something like martial arts? If you haven't studied this, aren't you worried that you may be selling people something they can't really use?
    2. You say you will award grades once people send you money - how will you ensure that they are actually up to standard in your system before issuing rank?
    3. How is a mandatory donation for a grading anything other than a fee? If this is for tax purposes, it's very unlikely to fly, as a donation should be a) voluntary and b) an amount up to the donor, not the recipient.
    4. If you can't control the quality of online students by offering effective learning through three channels (auditory, visual and kinaesthetic feedbacks), then how will you feel if someone studies your system for a time, needs to defend themselves and is let down by their training because they never worked in a live environment with an instructor?

Apologies if these come across as harsh. I'm sure you have good intentions, but I very much doubt that you are ready to create a new system based on what little you have shared, and I strongly believe that most (if not all, for beginners at least) online learning for martial arts is a waste of time and money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.